Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP! Has anyone taken the train from Paris to Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone has done the Paris-to-Venice route by train, can they comment on it? Did you feel like you were really "roughing it"?
Is there a big difference between 1st-class and other tickets? Is there a high-speed train? What can I expect to pay?
My husband & I are thinking of doing this in May 2005, but wanted to hear other experiences.
Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:19 AM

I've done it and I suggest you check out the information at www.seat61.com which also has pictures of the sleeping accommodations. Click on the travel to Italy piece on the left-hand sidebar.

It also explains some of the differences between First Class sleeping compartments and others.

This is not a "high speed" train by any stretch of the imagination but it is certainly one of the better night services IMO.

If you are truly concerned about prices and time spent you might look into the possibility of flying instead.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:40 AM
ira

Hi betty,

>Is there a big difference between 1st-class and other tickets?

Yup. In 1cl you get your own compartment. In 2cl couchette you share with 4 other people.

>Is there a high-speed train?
An overnight train is supposed to go slowly so that it will take all night.

>What can I expect to pay?
About 360E for 2 for 1cl compartment.
About 240E for 2 in a 2cl couchette for 6.

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:19 AM

Ira, does it make a difference in price if they have a France-Italy Rail Pass? I thought the extra price for night trains was lower if you had a PASSS. Mike
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:37 AM

I will answer my own question. According to eurorailways.com, IF you have a France-Italy rail pass, the cost for their Excelsior Double Cabin (FIRST CLASS) is $119 per person. That's a great deal IF you have the Pass. Have a Great Trip!!! Mike
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:51 AM

You can also go 2nd Class on this train WITHOUT being in a couchette as the website I mentioned above explains.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:56 AM

I agree that the pages for Italy in www.seat61.com are good. For differences between classes please see the note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/...ghttrains.htm/. This train has some extra classes, namely one berth and two berth sleepers with showers and private bathroom in first class, and four berth couchettes (sold as sleepers) in second class. Whether people feel they are toughing it in the night train depends on how well they sleep on trains (I sleep like a babe in arms). To sit up all night is to guarantee a bad night. You need a berth. To help you, the companies run the train with nobody boarding or leaving it, and few or no stops, between Dijon at 2319 and Milan at 0550, then again non-stop till Brescia at 0641. The night train is indeed not high speed, since as itra says the company wants you to have a full night from Pasris at 2028 to Venice at 0855. For high speed you take day trains with buffet cars from Paris 0804, with a 20 minute change at Milan, to Venice at 1808.

I am afraid I cannot help on your pass question, since we Europeans use different passes to yours.

[email protected]

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:59 AM

But ohmygoodness... wouldn't that be romantic??
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:26 AM

I've done the night train and the flight; I'd highly recommend flying. The romance of the train ride wears thin, and it's hard to sleep when being interrupted by middle of the night stops etc.

Flights are fairly reasonable these days, take less than 2 hours (not counting getting to and from airports of course), and you get a wonderful view flying over the mountains.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:30 AM
ira

Hi Barb,

As you noted, if you have a railpass you only pay the supplement for the sleeping accomodations.

You have, of course, already paid for the railpass, which might or might not be a good idea, depending on itinerary.

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:00 AM

Current prices if bought thru RailEurope in US:
T2 double- $200 per person including train fare; $88 if have a railpass
T4 1st class couchette (4 berths) $150 p p; with railpass $44
T6 second class couchette (six berths) $125 pp; $29 with railpass
Unlike one posting above i don't beleive you can ride without at least doing the T6 couchette as there are no regular seating cars on these Artesis Night trains.
Senior fares (60+) and youth fares (under 26) give discount off above fares; for example $175 pp in T-2; $100 pp in T-6
There are also book early fares from time to time as low as $44 including rail fare and T-6 berth, book at least 14 days in advance. Call RailEurope for details or their agents like Budget Europe (800-441-9413) for status on book early fares. $15 booking fee in US. Trenitalia.com site may have 30 euro specials as well. Prices may change a bit before May. You can book up to 90 days in advance. Ciao.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:59 AM

www.sncf.com, the French National Rail site, has special prices for tickets bought online up to 60 days in advance. The discount seats sell out quickly. Choose "France" as the country in which you will pick up your ticket by showing the credit card you used to purchase it. Currently you can buy a 2nd class ticket which includes your reservation for a 6-person couchette for 50.00E. You can buy a 1st class ticket which includes your reservation for a 4-person couchette for only 60.00E. Not a bad deal!