Search

Paris: Having an early dinner in the 6th

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris: Having an early dinner in the 6th

Hi
Does anyone have suggestions for a casual place for dinner, it's arrival day so we'll want to stay casual and dine early, say no later than 7pm, or even have a very late lunch and just snack in the room later. Maybe a place that serves all day that we can walk to? It will be my companion's first night in Paris. Just a neighborhoody kind of place would be great.

Anyone know what time le Relais Entrecote starts serving?

I have lots of lists and restaurant guides and postings here and my own favorites, just looking for some specific suggestions.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 02:03 PM
RJD

Suggest the Cremerie Polidor. An informal early serving place, not expensive. The food is decent as well. You sit at long tables with others, probably tourists too.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 03:31 PM

We like Mezza Luna on rue de Buci for pizza or pasta. They have a non-smoking section in the back, naturally, and the staff are very nice. I'm not sure if they close after lunch but you'll be able to get dinner by 7pm if not sooner.
There's also Vesuvius which serves Italian and some French dishes. It's around the corner from the Hotel Madison on rue Gozlin. Here's their web site which I believe is new--it seems they're part of a chain and have 3 locations in Paris.

http://www.vesuviocafe.com/

We prefer Mezza Luna but both are moderately priced and would meet your needs.

Good luck and have a terrific trip~
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 07:51 PM

You can try Fish La Boissonnedie, 69 rue de Seine, in the 6th, but 7 pm is a little late for lunch and early for dinner. At least you can sit and have a glass of wine.

La Fontaine de Mars serves an early dinner for tourist (around 8 pm) and there are always bistros for you to try.

Why don't you rest and have dinner when the locals dine, after 9:15 pm. It would make a lot more sense.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 04:59 AM

I believe Le Relais de l'Entrecote opens at 7 - I've seen references here to getting there at 6.45 to queue up, in order to get straight in at 7. I was there 2 weeks ago (although much later in the evening) & enjoyed it.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Robert2533, I do know when the locals lunch and dine, but on my arrival day I prefer to keep going all day if I can, crash early in the evening, get a night's sleep, and feel fine the next day. That works well for me and I hope it will for my companion, not everyone has the same energy or rest cycle.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 05:56 AM

We've usually been seated and ordered, and sometimes are finishing up, by the time the locals dine. Then we have time for a stroll on the bridges or in "our" neighborhood before turning in. I am physically uncomfortable eating a late meal then going to bed soon after (and we're early birds not night owls). The locals don't seem to mind at all.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:13 AM
ira

Hi elaine,

Could you give us an address so that we don't have to send you all over the 6th?
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:15 AM

Elaine, we do the same thing. It seems to work for us. We tried napping and have a hard time getting up and going again after just a couple hours sleep. We find if we stay outside in the sun as much as possible, forge ahead and then get a good night's sleep, we're fine by morning.
That said, last month we made a reservation at Mon Vieil Ami on Ile St. Louis for 7:30 the evening of our arrival. We arrived at about 7:15 and they seated us with no problem. The meal was excellent, by the way.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

hi ira, good point
we're staying at the Grand Hotel des Balcons, rue Casimir Delavigne, closest metro stop is Odeon if you don't have a map handy.
I'm not adverse to walking into the 5th or 7th either, on the first night just thinking it would be nice to stay 'close to home', otherwise I like dining all over the city.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:51 AM

elaine, The place for you to go is Cafe Maitre Paul, literally around the corner from your hotel (we stayed there two years ago) on rue Monsier le Prince (turn right out of the hotel). I'm not sure if they open at 7:00 or 7:30, but you could walk over after you check in and find out and make a reservation. It's about a one-minute walk. Delicious food. Very French. Enjoy!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:57 AM
ira

Hi elaine,

I have gleaned these from other posters here. They are all near the Odeon Metro.

IL Suppli 2 rue Conde? Italian 01 40 46 99 74 metro Odeon

Marco Polo 8 rue de Condé, (off Rue St Sulpice) 01-43-26-79-63 lively Italian joint attracts sophisticated locals. veal eggplant antipasto pasta du jour penne arrabbiata packs an extra kick. make a reservation.

**Procope 13, rue de l'Ancienne Comédie . Tel: 33 (0)1 40 46 79 00. Near Odeon Metro
Open everyday from 12am to 1am. The oldest brasserie of Paris dates back to 1686. superbly renovated and serves nice cuisine at affordable prices in charming little dining rooms. From 12,2 € upwards.

**Le Be Bop, 8 r. Gregoire de Tours. (N of Blvd St Germaine) 01 43 29 24 52 This was one of our treasured "finds" this trip. It touts itself as a jazz/gourmet experience.. ?Pianist plays until 23:00, and the food was marvelous, best escargot I've had in years. Though they have lesser menus, we chose the 26 euros Crepe place across street.

**La Citrouille (The Pumpkin). 10 r Gregoire de Tours 01 44 07 36 91 budget, various, inexpensive menus (around 8-15 euros) in a pleasant surrounding. ?stick to the good old standbys.

** Chez -Maitre Paul, 2, rue Monsieur le Prince, Paris 75006 ? 1-43-54-74-59 a restaurant which comes highly recommended from fodors about 33E pp Chicken in Cream and Cheese sauce

Cote Sud - rue Gregoire de Tours (near Odeon Metro) for lunch: The 12.50 euro three course "menu" includes an AYCE buffet of salads and an AYCE buffet of desserts, fruits, and cheeses. The 12.50 also includes wine.

Cafe Mabillon at the corner of Rue de Seine and Blvd. St. Germain was another perfect spot for a little lunch and people watching. (abt 20E for lunch)

**Cosi, 54 rue de Seine, N of Rue de Buci (tel. 01-46-33-35-36) Italian Pannini and Focaccia

Le Temps Perdu - 54 rue de Seine just N of Rue de Buci about 30E for 3 courses

Rotisserie d'en Face 2 rue Christine. I ate lunch there twice, completely different menu choices, and all was wonderful. Take Rue du Four to Rue de Buci. Go right. Go left on Rue Dauphine, First block on right. About 40E pp

Yugaraj 14 Rue Dauphine 06th 1 43 26 44 91 Indian
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 07:02 AM

Just realized I meant Chez Maitre Paul, not Cafe. I thought that didn't sound right!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 07:09 AM

Les Editeurs is right there on the Carrefour de l'Odéon. You can definitely order an early meal there and enjoy the lively scene.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Chez Maitre Paul or le Procope have been on my list a long while, one of those might be the one for that night.

You know, about Rotisserie d'en Face--I went there years ago, and we didn't think much of it, but don't know that I can focus on a criticism. We thought the roasted chicken was good if not memorable, for some reason we left not feeling motivated to go back. I realize this is a minority opinion.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Rotisserie d'en Face is the one restaurant in Paris that was a total disappointment. Both the food and the service were sub par, as well as being highly overpriced, but it has a thriving tourist trade because of it's owner, chef Jacques Cagna. Unless it has changed dramatically over the last two years, it is not one that we can recommend.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Lots of good suggestions here! My wife and I were there last month and enjoyed le Relais de l'Entrecote but only if you are into steak and fritts? If you are in the 6th I would really recommend:
CLAUDE SAINLOUIS
27, rue du Dragon 75006
Tel: 01 45 48 29 68
Cuisine Bourgeoise
Ferme dimanche et lundi

We really liked it- a negihborhood place.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Claude Sainlouis is on my (too long) list as well

It's also recommended in Great Eats in Paris--for non-francophones, it's closed Sun and Mon and around most holidays
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:19 AM

What's the address of Le Relais de l'Entrecote? Steak and frites would be something my kids would enjoy.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:27 AM
ira

Hi crepes,

You can look it up at http://www.voila.fr/PagesJaunes/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -