Hotel Therese or Hotel de Fleurie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching these posts for a couple months. Based on the postings, I am thinking that either the Hotel Therese or Hotel de Fleurie would be a good fit for me. I will be traveling alone in June of 2005. My stay would be for 3 nights. It will be my first trip to Paris. The Fleurie has quoted me a price of 145 and the Therese 134. I plan to walk to most of the major sites. The quality of the bathroom is important to me as well as the noise factor. Is the Fleurie worth the extra euro? Would I be just as content at the Therese? Would transfer to either of the airports be about the same from these hotels. Could anyone comment on the quality, bathrooms, noise factor, location of these 2 hotels. I could really use some help to make my decision. Thanks in advance!!!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:33 AM

I don't know Fleurie, but I stayed at Therese in 2002. The location is very central, and I think it's near the Pyramides (?) stop on Line 4.

The hotel was being renovated, or had just been renovated. It was cheaper then, I think.

The room we had was a bit small (a usual complaint), but otherwise, everything was fine and we enjoyed our stay. Noise was not a factor, as far as I can recall.

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:51 AM

I don't know the Therese but the Fleurie is a lovely hotel and E145 is a great rate. It is on a quiet street, I wouldn't think noise would be a problem at all. The bathrooms are very nice. The location in the 6th is very central and in walking distance to major sights.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:55 AM

Sounds like you should first decide if you want to be on the right or left banks. Personally I prefer to be on the right bank these days, but that preference is always subject to change.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

111op: May I ask why you prefer to be on the right bank? Because I have never been to Paris, I do not have a good concept of what the differences are. I have studied the maps, and I know where the major sites are located. However, I do not have the "feel" for the differences between right and left bank.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:05 AM

Sure. By the way this is my personal assessment. People will likely disagree with me (especially those who prefer to be on the left).

For one reason or another I find that it's a little confusing to switch between Metro lines to between the two banks. It shouldn't be difficult, but, for one reason or another, I find this more trouble than it's worth.

Now what's on the right bank? You've the Louvre, Beaubourg/Pompidou, the Marais, and the Champs-Elysees and the Grands Magasins (i.e. the department stores Printemps and Lafayette). These sights are pretty much easily accessible on Line 1. And more shopping along St.-Honore and Faubourg St.-Honore.

On the Left, you've St-Germain/cafes, Latin Quarter/Sorbonne, Orsay and the Eiffel Tower.

I just tend to gravitate more towards the shopping and the nightlife on the Right Bank. Also I've a friend who lives on the Right Bank. So for me it's easier to be on the Right Bank.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:07 AM

By the way, that said, Bon Marche is on the Left Bank, and I always try to look what's there (as opposed to Lafayette or Printemps). So I invariably end up on the Left Bank as well. But on balance, I still prefer the Right -- somehow I think that it's easier for me, especially when I go out at night.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:01 AM

If you know NYC, the left bank is like staying downtown in SoHo or Greenwich Village.
The right bank is like staying on the upper
East side, ( unless you stay in the Marais which has a "downtown" feel to it). It's a little more formal, a little dressier, and, I believe, all of the 4 star luxe hotels are situated there.

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:12 AM

That's very funny. I live in NYC, and I definitely much prefer downtown to the East Side (UES is terribly dull, I think). There might be some truth to the statement though. The right bank definitely has luxe and glamour.

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

The NY comparison is interesting!

I have been in communication with both the Fleurie and the Therese. The singles have shower stalls--no bathtub. Has anyone had experience with this accomodation at the Fluerie or the Therese? I am a small person, so it probably wouldn't be a problem. I just need to know what to expect!
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:45 AM

I will be staying at Hotel de Fleurie for 6 nights in late November, based on reviews read here and on location, and will let you know how it goes once I return! I am lucky to have gotten a low season rate of 130E plus one night free if you stay more than 4 (or something like that...).
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:48 AM

Hm.... I can't remember what if there was a bathtub when I stayed there (obviously if there was one, I didn't use it). But as I mentioned, the room was definitely on the small side. Small enough that I remembered this. But I've been in even smaller rooms.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:53 AM

By the way, you should probably check a/c. I don't think that you need it, but for that price, you might as well check to see if that's available. Pretty sure that Therese had good a/c, as I think we were there in late July or early August.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:08 AM

The Therese (as typical of many Parisian hotels) has very small single rooms. You can be certain that a single will be pretty tight and usually comes equipped with a shower only. I stayed in the sister hotel, the Verneuil, in a standard double room. It was pretty small even but there was a nice, fully equipped (shower/bathtub combination plus bidet) marble bathroom almost as large as the room itself! If you email the Therese and ask for the room measurements to compare they will let you know. The most expensive rooms-deluxe doubles-are large-not huge just larger than the standard doubles and especially larger than the singles.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:16 AM

Re Therese, do a search and there're some comments for it. I didn't try Fleurie, but presumably it'll be the same.

I'll top this thread for you:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34492976

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Magsc: I will be SO interested to hear your comments upon your return. I will keep my eyes on this board.

I appreciate everyone's ideas as to what questions to ask. It is very helpful! Thank you!
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

111op: Thanks for topping the thread for me. It contains information of interest to me. Hopefully the poster will respond with information concerning their stay!
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:53 AM

if anyone is interested there are great comments on the Therese and on the Fleurie at www.tripadvisor.com

I've been to Paris a number of times, sometimes on my own,and I'm returning this Dec. The Therese sounds good to me because I, too, prefer the right bank (at this point I know it better, which perpetuates the preference). The 6th does have more choices for casual cafes and restaurants to stroll into in the evenings, the 1st does have some tourist traps, especially on rue de Rivoli, to be avoided. I do also find the 1st more personally convenient in terms of metro, the Louvre, etc. I also love strolling past place de la Concorde, with a distant view of the ET,on the way back to my hotel in the evenings. But I'd never dissaude anyone from the 6th, it's just excellent in a different way.
There is more than one great location in Paris.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:30 PM
tpl

Hi, I saw my earlier post about the Therese had been topped recently, and thought I would follow up with my experience in May. My husband and I have visited Paris many times, as I have family there, and thought we would try someplace new. We normally stay on the Left Bank, either at the Artus or a private apartment. I don't think you mentioned your age in your posts, but just for context we are in our mid-thirties and active.

Overall, the Therese was very nice -- clean, comfortable, quiet and well-located. We stayed in a double deluxe, which was a fairly good-sized room, not huge, with two chairs in addition to the queen bed. The bathroom was bright and attractive, with a normal bathtub. Our room faced out onto the very quiet Rue Therese. We didn't see a single room during our stay, but the entire hotel appeared to have been recently renovated -- the worst I would imagine of a single room would be that it was tiny. I did hear that the single bathroom was small, but how small I do not know. Other stuff: the elevator was quite slow, even when no one else was using it. There is an internet terminal in a small room off the lobby -- you can buy time from the front desk at a fairly nominal rate. The ventilation isn't as good as some hotels -- in particular the hallways can be smoky, as can the rooms. Not bad by most standards, but worth mentioning, since the ventilation in so many French hotels is excellent. We never had breakfast at the hotel, as there are several good boulangeries and cafes within easy walking distance.

We did have one bad experience with the hotel, and it is the reason I have trouble recommending it without reservation to others. We arrived in Paris from Rome. Before leaving the US, I made arrangements with the hotel (at their suggestion) for a private car to pick us up at the airport. When I reconfirmed prior to leaving home, I was told via email that the rate I had been quoted was incorrect, and was given a new, higher rate. Normally we would just grab a taxi or the metro, but I had recently had major knee surgery, so agreed to the change to spare any hassle. In any case, our flight arrived on time, but no one met us at the gate. We waited for more than 30 minutes, during which we purchased a phone card and called the car company, but got no answer. We were the only people left in the terminal. We finally just caught a taxi to the hotel. By the way, there was no taxi line, and the rate was at least $30 US less than the private car. The advantage to the private car was to have been someone meeting us at the gate and taking our luggage. When we arrived at the Therese, the employee at the front desk accused us rather nastily of abandoning the driver who had supposedly been waiting for us. We compared the AF flight number on our ticket stubs with the email I had send a couple months earlier, and she claimed the flight didn't exist. It was irritating, and she was rude to us for the duration of our stay. The other employees were fine. This was not a case of cultural differences -- most of our communication was in French and she was just rude. Even my French aunt commented on it when she met us for dinner. The only other quibble we had (more minor), was the overall unfamiliarity of the hotel staff with restaurants, both nearby and further afoot. I saw them basically shrugging when other visitors asked for help with reservations or recommendations.

Hope this information helps you make up your mind. I think both rates you were quoted are good. If it were my first trip to Paris I would prefer the Left Bank location, though it is very easy to get around from the Therese. I am not as interested in the larger stores, and prefer to wander around the smaller shops in the 6th and 7th. Most of the sites you will visit are pretty equidistant. Let me know if you have any other questions. TPL
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

tpl: Thank you so much for reporting on your Hotel Therese experience. Your thoughts have been so helpful. I had already started to lean toward reserving a room in the left bank location. Your added information concerning the private transportation (I was considering this) and poor ventilation have helped me greatly. Thank you!!!!

I continue to consider the Fleurie, but I have also been researching the Relais Bosquet. I am able to reserve an air conditioned room at Relais Bosquet for 135 Euro and an air conditioned room at the Fleurie for 145 Euro. The Basquet offers a full bath, and the Fleurie offers a shower only. My dilemma: Does the larger room-bathroom, cheaper rate at the Bosquet outweigh the better location of the Fleurie?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -