Good deal with La Forcola in Venice? I hope so

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever someone posts after the fact, the question always arises why someone is seeking reassurance.

But in this case I thought I would pass this possible deal along, in case anyone else finds it useful.

For my stay in Venice from December 27-31, I booked La Forcola at Cannaregio 2353 30121 Venezia for a rate of 47.50 Euros per night for a single room, including breakfast. It says it is a 3* hotel and it has several positive reviews on this site and one positive review on TripAdvisor.

I clicked on the Hotels link through the Ryanair web site. I did a search on Venice and found various hotels listed, and this was one of the cheapest options that was actually in Venice.

The cancellation policy does charge for either 25 pounds or one night if you cancel (depending on when, or for the entire stay if you cancel less than 7 days in advance), but this policy is not as strict as Priceline which I use frequently.

See http://www.laforcolahotel.com for the hotel site.

It's possible I could have gotten as cheap a rate through the hotel directly since it lists low season rates of 40-80 Euros/night (but doesn't say that breakfast is included in any event). However, given that every other third party site I checked was significantly more expensive, I decided to just get it done and go with the Ryanair link. Note you do not have to buy a Ryanair ticket to use their site. Also, sometimes EasyJet has cheaper prices for the same hotel that Ryanair has - you just have to compare all possibilities.

If anyone thinks this is a terrible deal, I don't mind hearing that either - all the better to warn someone else if so. If it is a good deal, I'd be happy to hear that of course .

Also note that you have to adjust the currency when you use the Ryanair site - the default is British pounds. I was definitely charged 47.50 Euros per night, though.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 05:43 AM

WillTravel, did you stay in this hotel and how was it?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

This hotel was very good.

I stayed there Dec. 27-31. I will post hotel photos in a few days. My single room was small, but very clean. It had matching wallpaper, chair upholstery, and bedspread. It had hardwood floors. There were matching dark wood wardrobe, desk, chair, and bed. The bathroom might be a bit quirky for American preferences, but it worked fine for me. As in many European hotels, there's not a separate shower enclosure, and I've found these a bit of a challenge in the past. But I figured out that if you shower while standing over the bidet, the water will not leak into the bedroom (plus I rolled up a towel and put it outside the bathroom door). The breakfast was very good compared to what I have read of typical Italian breakfasts. The staff was friendly. The location was walkable to anywhere if you wanted to do so, or you could walk about 100m to a vaporetto stop (San Marcuola).
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:35 AM

I just checked this on Ryanhotels for 2 nights (9/3-9/5). It's available for a total of 287 euros.

Ouch.

Why is 9/1 - 10/31 high season in Venice, by the way? The peak of summer is actually shoulder reason (7/1). I got this from La Forcala's website.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:37 AM

By the way, there seems to be nothing cheaper than 100 euros per night on Ryanhotels in Venice proper for the period I'm looking for either.

Cheapest is Adriatico, it looks like, for a total of 214 euros.

I guess December really is low season for Venice!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Are you looking for a single or still a double?

Since I got this hotel way back, I've been periodically checking the Ryanairhotels.com site to see when it shows up cheaply. The cheap dates for this hotel seem to be for Sunday to Thursday, and every month seems to have some cheap dates.

I think September is probably the most expensive month for major Italian cities, just as it seems to be for Paris. Both businesspeople and tourists are competing for hotels. Few businesspeople in the summer (roughly speaking) and relatively fewer tourists in the winter.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:49 AM

111op,
High prices during early September likely are result of "La Biennale de Venezia", a/k/a Venice Film Festival. It runs from Aug-31st to Sept-10th >>> http://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Still prefer a double -- so still looking for a double rather than a single. But haven't e-mailed or booked anything. Just checking hotel reviews and getting some baseline prices so that I know what to expect.

Maybe I should switch to a single to save money.

Thanks Tess -- I just got wind of the Film Festival a few days ago. I'm actually quite excited to be there when it's going on (hope to see a film or two if I can manage, but the schedule isn't out). I'm looking at the hotels now because I fear that this can cause a problem, but it looks like paying up (as usual) will solve all problems as some reasonable hotels still show availability (casual check on Venere).