Hotel in London and Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to paris next may. Its going to be 2 adults and 2 kids. We are having trouble finding many hotels in each city that hold 4 people. What are your reccomendations of a good quality, affordable hotel in each city. We want to be in a good central location to all the sites. We want to try and keep each hotel under 300 a night.Is this possible?

Matt
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:32 AM

In Paris, contact Hotel Bonaparte and ask what they can provide. (Don't take Room 2...the bath is far too small.) Can the kids stay in an adjoining room? I was in a room at the end of a small hallway where only one other door opened onto that hall. It would be no different than being in different bedrooms at home. They may even have connected rooms.

Bonaparte doesn't have a website, but it is listed in the Fodor's Hotels section. Fax is the best way to deal with them.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:10 AM

I've seen several posters acknowledging the problem of finding hotels in London suitable for kids. You might want to do a quick search. Looks like many families rent apartments depending on the length of your stay. We just returned from our trip in June. Stayed at the Holiday Inn in Kensington. It had 2 beds which weren't right on top of each other. There's a garden at the hotel so your kids could stretch their legs. Very convenient to the Gloucester tube. We also stayed at a Sheraton and my daughter had to sleep on a rollaway bed. Susan
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:37 AM
ira

Hi matt,

Jeanne has a good suggestion.

The Bonaparte can give you two rooms next to each other for about 240E w/bkfst.

I don't know if they have connecting rooms.

They do have a triple, which might work.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Like what star rating is The Bonaparte? We want to stay at like a nice 4 star which is what we usually stay at in the usa. I will check it out though. Also you guys know anything about the Marriott Regents Park? Is it a nice hotel? Any more paris suggestions?

Matt
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Matt, depending on the ages of your kids I would opt for 2 rooms. That means 2 bathrooms -- a Godsend when you travel Many hotel rooms are pretty small and 4 people in them would be quite cramped, particularly if the kids are not babies. I can recommend Hotel Relais Bosquet in the 7th Arr. in Paris (just off Rue Cler, within walking distance to Eiffel Tower, and 2 blocks to Ecole Militaire Metro stop) as one to consider. They have a few rooms that have a small hallway, off the main hall, that opens off into two rooms, we saw families utilizing those rooms when we were there and it looked like a nice option. Incidentally, the hotel is very nice. We have stayed in many hotels in Paris and never had a room I would want 4 people in I also can recommend the Holiday Inn Republique, it is truly a beautiful hotel as the building is a historic one. 5 Metro lines are right out front at the Place de la Replublique. Rooms tend to be smallish but quite nicely decorated, we really enjoyed this hotel last year when we stayed there.

As for London, we usually rent an apartment, again many hotels have smallish rooms, altho I did read someones report that the Holiday Inn Express near Victoria Station had decent sized rooms for families.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:30 AM

In Paris our family stayed in the Grand Hotel St. Michel in the Latin Quarter which should run well under 300. It was a bit cramped but managable. We had a 2 room suite. The living room had 2 day beds (I think it normally only had 1 but the put another 1 in there for us, that's why it was so tight). The hotel was clean and quiet, nothing fancy, but adequate. In London we had 2 interconnected rooms at the Cranley Gardens Hotel. This was in April and we paid 89GBP per room. The location was very good, So. Kens. Each room was on the small size with limited drawer space but it was nice have separate rooms and bathrooms.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:32 AM

I just wanted to add that on this recent trip to London, we found it very expensive in general. Worse than NYC where we live. The only thing that was inexpensive was the family tube passes.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:33 AM

No, the Bonaparte is not a 4*, and I'm afraid you're going to have difficult time finding a 4* that is affordable. However, you might try the Résidence du Roy, which has mostly suite's; the hotel used to be an apartment complex, I think. It's in a reasonably central location.

If you'll settle for a good 3*, I know that the Hôtel Mansart--just off the very central Place Vendôme--has adjoining rooms.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:15 AM

..re budget in london..$300 will not be 4* unless you try priceline (and i dont know if quads possible to book through priceline..but i am sure someone else does)
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Both hotels I mentioned are 3*
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:45 AM

from an earlier thread (June 29th?) there was a discussion about this.
StCirq wrotes that 2 rooms connected are "chambres communicantes". Google that phrase and you'll find hotels.

IF I were in your birkenstocks, I'd probably search for a lovely apartment.

My favorite hotel (a 3*) in the 1eme, Hotel Relais du Louvre has an apartment... but it is more than $300 a night...but talk about central location!? Oy vey!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

So I guess it will be hard to get a 4 Star for under 300. We are thinking of maybe staying at the Hyatt CDG and taking the train into the city every morning. Its really nice and its 360 us dollars a night for 2 rooms. Its 4 stars. Anyway of even getting 1 room in paris that would hold 4 people thats 4 stars for 360? Sorry for all the questions
Matt
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Staying at the airport and taking the RER into the city every morning doesn't sound the least bit appealing to me. You'll be jammed in with the commuters for 40 minutes each way and will completely miss out on the "getting the feel of the neighborhood" experience.
The Hôtel Duquesne-Eiffel, a 3*, has lovely chambres communicantes as well as at least one quad for well under $300 a night.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:38 AM

Naaaah, you don't want to stay at a Hyatt at the Airport!...

try this, you'll find the prices and the amenities you're looking for:

http://www.4star-paris-hotels.com/po...tels-index.htm
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:26 PM

I'm sure you can find a very nice 3* within your range. I agree that you should stay in the city. Do you prefer the larger american chain type hotels? There are many small, but very charming 3* hotels that many people on this board can recommend. I have also read some good things about renting apartments for a family which is another possibility you may consider.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

I dont care if its a small hotel or large american hotel. I just have trouble finding any.

Matt
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Matt-
Take a look at this site. It indicates which hotels have quad rooms. Also has some apartments, which might solve your problem.

http://www.smallandeleganthotels.com/
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Staying by CDG is a terrible idea. Your kids will resent you for it and it will truly ruin your trip. Your plans are far enough off that you can find something if you are patient and keep looking. 3*s are totally fine for Paris, and you will find that you will spend very little time in your room in Paris or in London. Location is key.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:14 PM

Don't stay by the airport and fight the commute into town. Stay in town and enjoy it.

You've been given several suggestions and I'll add one more web site. Try http://www.france.com and click on the Hotel button at the top of the page right under the search window. Choose the number of stars you want and do a search. I know, for instance, that the Hotel Clement has a junior suite but suspect you want something more American. There are photos of the hotels and the rooms and there are wonderful reviews by people who have stayed there.

Have a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -