Naples: Were we foolish?

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples: Were we foolish?

We were at Naples train station holding our ticket and trying to work out which platform we needed. A blue-overalled man approached us and asked whether we needed help. He looked at the ticket briefly and started to lead the way. He stopped at the yellow ticket machine so that we could validate the ticket, but he took the ticket from the machine (and basically out of my husband's hand) and then continued to lead the way. Unfortunately our no.2 carriage was at the other end of the platform, so it was a long walk...with intermittent pleads in english that we were okay and did not need help. (And with me running through my head what superhero action was required in case he bolted with our ticket in hand.) Anyway he lead us all the way to our seats, and stood there as we took our time removing our backpacks. We "thanked" him politely and profusely whereupon he held out his hand for a "tip". As we did not appreciate this unwanted "help" we did not want to tip him. After saying "no money" many times in english...he finally mumbled something, pulled a sad face and left after I pulled together "niente soldi"...

My husband insisted that we were never "in danger" as he was wearing a uniform and was probably a mechanic...but I think it was foolish to allow the man to carry the ticket.

Was the man just a railway worker wanting to supplement his income? How should we have handled the situation? And have others been in similar situations?

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 03:25 AM

Welcome to Italy. We had the same experience at the Rome train station. We tipped the gentleman something less than he expected, and we chuckled and carried on unscathed.

Then, as we were preparing to board the train, a lovely young woman insisted on helping us haul our luggage onto the train, and as we thanked her profusely, she told us that would be 5 euos each, at which we laughed and gave her something less, perhaps a euro each.

Just figure folks in Italy who volunteer to help are entrepreneurs, doing their best to hustle a few bucks. Choose to pay them or not and consider it part of the experience!

I must admit that, much as I loved Italy, my overwhelming experience as I walked through my hometown airport after our trip, was gratitude for being in a place once again where folks were what they seemed to be!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 03:35 AM
ira

Hi m,

As noted, he was just an entrepreneur trying to make a few bucks.

However, my rule is to not let anyone touch me or my belongings, no matter how helpful they might seem to be.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 03:38 AM

Be very careful especially at Napoli Centrale. Dont let you bags start their holiday without you.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:04 AM
cmt

I've had nice people in Italy offer all sorts of unsolicited (but welcome) help many many times, but they they were NOT entrepreneurs, and did not ask for or hint that they expected money, and in the very rare circumstances when I offered it, they declined to take it. In this instance, you met someone who was looking for money and who was pushy in offering services that you didn't really need. But he was harmless and nothing bad happened. Others may not be so harmless. But far more will be genuinely helpful, with not ulterior motive to extract a tip. Expect all kinds.

The Naples train station has a bad reputation. The last time I needed to go to Naples I avoided it, because I was alone, and I didn't want to be there with my hands full and not in a good position to protect my stuff or run. Many (more than 30?) years ago I was in the Naples train station twice, first when I arrived with a friend to spend several days in Naples, and then a wwek or two later when we were on our way back up to Rome from Sicily. Even way back then we'd been warned about the Naples train station. Of all places, that's where we had a huge problem. Throughout our month-long trip, we'd experienced train delays. Trains had never left on time, not even close to on time, and they always took far longer to get where they were going than the schedules indicated, and on many, we'd had to stand for much of the trip. When we got to Naples with all our end of trip bags, and we were aware theat there were lots of trains to Rome, my friend decided we were in a position to be fussy about which train to take, and we should not board the train unless good seats were available. So, leaving me with all the luggage AND her purse (with passport, etc.), she got on the train that was in the station, just to check out the seating to make sure there were two seats together and room for the luggage. As soo as she got on, the train staed to shake, and chug, and within seconds it was very gradually moving. My friend ran to the door and tried to jump off. An Italian soldier, apparently thinking she was suicidal, grabbed her and "rescued" her, preventing her from jumping. But the time she extricted herself, the train was on its way at normal speed. My friend managed to explain in French (she didn't know Italian) to a nice French couple what had happened and they explained to the nice conductor, who let her ride free without her ticket, money or passport. Meanwhile, I was left at the station, with two heavy pieces of (non-rolling in those days)luggage, two heavy carry ons, two purses,plus an extra bag of my friend's pottery. We had some sort of joint train mileage pass, which I carried, and I had her passport, money, and the info about where we were staying in Rome. I didn't know whether Sara remembered the name of the hotel and would simply go there directly by herself, or whether she'd wait for me at the train station in Rome, or whether she'd get off at the next local stop and return to meet me in Naples. I couldn't move without abandoning our stuff. Two young men, who seemed local, came up to me and asked whether I needed help. They'd been observing and had figured out part of what had happened and I explained the rest. They seemed nice. They offered to watch the load of bags wheile I went to the station master's office to explain what happened and to ask that he get his collegues in Rome to amke an announcement for my friend. I accepted. It took longer than expected, though the station master was very nice, and I was gone about a 1/2 hour. When I got back the two young men were still there, with our bags, and nothing was missing, and they wouldn't accept money from me. They helped me get on the next train.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:09 AM
ira

That's a good story with a great ending, cmt.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 06:44 AM

Oh my gosh! Almost the same thing happened to me and my friend . . . this was my friend's first trip anywhere and she was fearful of almost everything anyway.

We boarded a train on the correct track . . . I remembered I hadn't punched the tickets in the yellow machine and hopped off to punch. When I returned (possibly 30 seconds later), the train was pulling away with Janet on it with all the bags, no money, no ticket, no Italian . . . I could see the panic on her face.

Since we had not talked about what to do in an instance like this (we have since, and I make it a point to with all my traveling friends . . . we get off at the next stop and wait) . . . anyway, back to the story.

I frantically ran from office to office trying to find help . . . since the train left early, I didn't even know where it was going! Finally, I was referred to the International Aid office where an officer found out the train was just heading out to the yard and that "our" train was late in arriving at the correct track.

Sure enough, about 30 min. later, a yard worker brought Janet and all the bags back and I've never seen anyone happier than she was to see me!

I have since learned to always verify with a conductor if I am boarding the correct train AND to always have a plan if we become separated.

I love trains and train travel . . . my dad worked for Southern Pacific and we had passes growing up. We were poor and going someplace (anyplace) on a train was like a luxury vacation. All my best childhoold memories come flooding back the minute I enter a train station!

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:27 AM

topping