Will U.S. customs take my cookies?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm bringing back some Italian cookies for my friends along with some wine and olive oil (carry on). Will I have any problems bringing them in?
I know they're looking for fruits, vegtables, and other agricultural products, but I don't want to drag all this stuff halfway round the world to have it confiscated.
Anyone know anything about it?
Melissa
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:21 AM

Cookies are fine to bring back.
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It will not be a problem. You will still have to check "yes" on the re-entry card regarding food. As you said, fresh friut, veg and meat products are a no go.
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:46 AM
ira

Hi melissa,

When we came back from France 2 weeks ago, we were asked what food we were carrying: baked goods are OK.
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:55 AM

HI,

DON'T check that you're bringing in food on your customs form. Customs doesn't care about candy, cookies, etc. By food, they mean meat, vegetables, fruit. I made the mistake of checking yes when I recently returned from France and got pulled aside. Even though I told them I only had cookies, candy, etc., they still ran both my bags through the xray machine before letting me go. I seemed to have been the ONLY person on my flight who checked yes, because the customs agent was just taking forms and waving people through. I know there were folks on my flight carrying cheese--I could smell it when I was standing next to them at baggage claim!
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:05 AM

I've always checked that I have food, regardless of the kind. I believe you get get in trouble if you don't and happen to get checked. They ask what it is, and if it isn't something they are concerned about, wave me on through.

The last time I returned from the UK, they didn't even ask what the food was.

Keith
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Patty, sorry, you are incorrect. I know first-hand as I thought the same way as you. I was bringing a box of pastries and the dog found it. The customs agent corrected my declaration form and told me always to check anything that's edible as foodstuff. I was fortunate in that the agent was understanding about it.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:19 AM

If your cookies are wrapped in a decorative tin or plastic package, then no, they will not take them. Also, the wine and olive oil bottles are ok if sealed. United Airlines allows 1 wine bottle as a carry-on, but you are not limited to how many you want to bring back INSIDE your suitcase. I transported back 4 bottles in my suitcase wrapped very well (bubble wrap), in addition to the 1 bottle carry-on and never had a problem. On a more recent trip, however, I had brought back some tomatoes to eat on the airplane and didn't get a chance to before arriving in WDC. Of course, the fresh fruit was confiscated - we didn't eat them up in time!
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:19 AM

just for my information... we can bring home canned meats, right? (back to the issue of fois gras)
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:21 AM

So if the dogs can sniff out any food, wouldn't they stop you for that food from home that you've been dragging around, or that left over snack from the plane?
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Yes! And they do.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:26 AM

I brought back several rolls of Italian sausage (the hard, wrapped in white paper kind) and had shoved it into the pasta pot I was bringing back in my carry-on. They did not have dogs, just humans with gloves, going through everything. And believe me, they unwrapped everything - even the 2 espresso machines I had brought back for my mom and sister. You should be ok with the foie gras, if you feel more comfortable, wrap it securely in a plastic bag, then again with bubble wrap and then put in your suitcase. You will not run into any trouble with it inside there.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:28 AM

To be specific about what occurred with me, the dog knew that my backpack contained some sort of foodstuff and he kept scratching the backpack. Of course, when that happened I was asked by the agent if any foodstuff was in it. I said "no" and the agent questioned me if I had used the backpack during my trip to carry any fruit or food inside. I said "no" because I didn't use it at all to carry food and it was a brand new backpack. The pastries were the only foodstuff I carried and that was at the final day in Paris when I bought them to bring home. Any kind of food will be detected. In fact, this particular dog that was on duty targeted other passengers in the vicinity also.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Well, I don't know if the dogs can detect canned food but still you need to declare it.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:29 AM

P.S. BTW, the Italian sausage, 2 cubes of reggiano parmagiano cheese, etc. were NOT taken from my carry-one items. Like I said, the tomatoes were the only "fresh" thing taken.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Declare everything! Depending on the "passenger profile" that day you may be detained for hours if you don't.
M
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM

I was recently told that neither candy nor cookies need to be declared because they are not considered "food". Witgh respect to foie gras, it is my understanding that the type in glass jars will not be permitted in the country and will be confiscated, but the canned type is acceptable. I guess it has something to do with curing, bacteria, etc.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:39 AM

I don't know what's right as there are conflicting advice-I guess it depends what that particular agent says then. But it's probably best to declare everything to be on the safe side.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:44 AM

I indicated everything on my form asn was one of the "lucky" (not!) ones pulled from the line to be inspected. I guess it all depends on the agents doing the inspection as well because they let me keep everything - save the tomatoes. Also, my experience on a recent flight back from Rome, with an addtl stop-over (after JFK) at Denver's Stapleton Airport, was much more stringent as they had 3 security checks within one terminal! I don't think I would have been able to bring the stuff I did in WDC through them there. Again, it all depends on the agents that day, the current level of security issues, threats, etc. going on.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Not unless you are so unlucky to get a really hungry Customs agent ..
We bring back cookies and candies every trip to Europe-I leave all my money behind at the airport duty free shop~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -