Zurich Hotels

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich Hotels

Out of the following, which do you recommend? (Staying 4 nights, June 1-4, first time visit).

Zurich Marriott
Renaissance Zurich
Arabella Sheraton Neues Schloss
Intercontinental Zurich
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:04 PM

The Zurich Marriott is a 5-star hotel, with air-conditioned rooms (something that is relevant in June), and within walking distance of the Bahnhofstrasse. If you can get a good room rate inclusive of buffet breakfast, I would take it. My assumption is that the hotel will be a base for activities in and around Zurich (i.e. not a place you would actually spend a lot of time in).

On the other hand, if it fits in your budget, I would recommend either Widder or Baur au Lac - both of these offer premium, world-class experience. These are places where one could conceivably spend time lounging in.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip(s). The reason I listed those hotels in particular is because we can stay at any of those for free. So I am trying to find out which one to go with!
And yes, we shouldn't be in the hotel that much...out wandering and doing touristy things instead!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:26 PM

We stayed (chosen by another in our party) at the Intercontinental in October. Nice but very business class--not overly charming. While it isn't adjacent to the old town, the tram is 1/2 block from the hotel with an easy ride to the center.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:25 PM

We stayed at the Marriott last May. The rooms were fine but nothing too special. However, the location was great for us since we were on a short stop. It was an easy (less than 5 min) walk to the train station and the part of town that you would want to visit. The hotel on the river and is one of the tallest in the area. We had a view of the old town, the river and Lake Zurich from our room which was wonderful. Ask for a room on the lake side of the hotel if you decide to stay there.

Our travel agent did not recommend the Intercontinental where we could have gotten a lower rate because of the location.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:06 AM

The Renaissance is near the airport so I would not stay there as a base for exploring Zurich.

The Marriott is in a slightly better location than the Sheraton, IMO, as the neighbourhood behind it has restaurants and shops, and it has a nice position along the river and near to the train station. If you ask for a room on a high floor facing the lake, you can see the Alps on a clear day. Rooms are small here, but I think you will find that in most of the hotels.

The Sheraton is in a business district (relative term, no high rise buildings) that shuts down at night and is not even very lively during the day. It is not a long walk to the old town and restaurant areas, but I think it is a very boring neighbourhood. Advantage is that it is about 1 block in from the lake (but no lake views).

The Intercontinental is not in a convenient or charming location at all, IMO. It is not close to the lake or the old town and is a residential and kind of industrial part of town. Of course the town is small and public transport is good (but not cheap, a tram ride costs about US$2.50 and you don't take it very far). Taxis are laughably expensive.

I would take the Marriott or the Sheraton. You might ask what size room you could get at the three and pick the largest one.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:52 PM

aren't there two Marriotts?