Search

Charm in Beaune

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charm in Beaune

Can anyone help me with a romantic, charming hotel with wonderful character (old charm, maybe?) in Beaune or another location somewhere in and/or between Champagne - Burgundy? I'm hoping for no more than $150ish per night (or less?).

Thanks!
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 04:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In Beaune we stayed at the Hotel Le Home on the route de
dijon-no rstaurant but breakfast was served at a table outside our door on the terrace. About $80. We stayed at a more upscale place three times: at Leslie Caron's hotel in Villeneuve-sur-Yonne, La Lucarne aux Chouettes.
My fav was the Moulin de Ruats in Avallon, really secluded and romantic. I've been there twice because it's the only place I know that serves Bleu Truite.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 06:50 PM

Another vote for the Moulin des Ruats - it's realy adorable and the restaurant is fantastic. One night we were there it was filled with people who had driven all the way from Paris just for dinner. And the nearby National Park is gorgeous for hiking - or just strolling if you prefer. We saw ermine (i believe - a white furred weasel thing), deer, etc.

And it's very handy to tour Vezelay, Beaune, etc.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Another thing about the Ruats. MFK Fisher one of my favorite writers stayed there and had that blue trout for the first time also and wrote about it in a book, "Long Ago in France". The Dining room has changed since that time. There are still rooms with a balcony. It was once a lovers from Paris getaway as another I know near Meux.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 02:40 AM

The Hostellerie de Levernois is a very lovely spot..this is a Relais and Chateau member. Jean Crotet is a Michelin starred chef. Wonderful dining. A place full of chaarm. Levernois is about 5 km south of Beaune.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 05:28 AM

Gracejoan, I had looked at the website for Hostellerie Levernois, but the rooms start at well over $200 a night, not meeting Katiebug's budget.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I had actually seen this site a while back and I have no idea what made me nix it. Maybe I assumed it was too remote. It really *is* very nice looking. Any suggestions for an *additional* place to stay, close to the Champagne region (same qualifications)?

Thanks again.

Katiebug
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 03:46 PM

I was checking around and came across Hostellerie Le Cedre. It was formerly known as Hotel Blue Marine. Well, the website for Le Cedre looks very appealing; I think it was mentioned here before and got good comments but I'm not too sure. This is their site's address: http://www.lecedre-beaune.com
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 03:46 PM

I meant "Bleu Marine".
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 04:27 PM
RJD

I've mentioned Le Cedre a few times Stayed there twice,most recently last May. A very pleasant upscale hotel, with large rooms and good service. A decent restaurant. Cost about $150 a night I should imagine at current exchange rates. Due to its location on the ring road in Beaune, it's not especially romantic, but pleasant nonetheless.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:33 PM

RJD, I recently booked LeCedre for July. It is 186 euro -- at today's rate that is about $232.00. Parking is extra.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:40 PM

I apologize. I realized that is the rate per night for their special two night package which also includes dinner one night and buffet breakfast daily. The lowest rate for a standard double room including breakfast, tax, and parking is about $163 (136 euro).
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:51 PM

It's a long way between Champagne and Burgundy, and there are any number of charming hotels and inns to consider. However, my top pick would be Le Vieux Moulin, in the tiny hamlet of Bouilland, southwest of Dijon and not far from Beaune on a beautiful country road. There are perhaps 20 rooms, all different in size and décor and all with interesting furniture and art. Adjacent to the hotel and under the same management is an excellent restaurant.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:02 PM
ita

We stayed last spring at Domaine Comtesse Michel de Loisy in Nuits St. George-half way between Dijon and Beaune.A truly delightful B&B with an equally delightful and knowledgeable hostess. It was a perfect location for exploring the area. We paid 90E for 2 with breakfast.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:52 PM

We've always enjoyed the Hotel Grillon in Beaune. It is a lovely hotel. Mme. Grillon speaks English quite well. It's about a kilometer (little more than a half mile) from the old town. The rooms are nice, the grounds are pleasant and it's in a quiet neighborhood. It's also quite reasonable in cost, around 50-75 euros right now.

You can check their web site for photos at http://www.hotel-grillon.fr/

They have turned their basement wine cellar into a nice little bar and in the warm months there is a swimming pool on the property. It's nicely located for driving out of town too.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:25 AM

Katiebug- there is Chateau De Vault De Lugny just outside of Avallon- here is the website- seems to be in your price range:

http://www.otedis.com/template.php?L...c&id=11921

also we have stayed at the

Hostellerie de la Poste
13 Place Vauban, Avallon, Yonne, 89200 -- it is currently going for 99 eruos and is in the heart of the city..within walking distance of everything...
Rooms face an inner courtyard that has cobblestones..and restaurants has good breakfast....FABULOUS french restaurant just around the corner where we had cooking classes!!

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:56 AM
RJD

For Patrick:
There are a number of free convienent parking slots available outside the front door. If you get there before about 4PM you should be able to pick up one of them. Also the rooms include free coffee. I usually picked up pastries and bananas in the downtown shopping areas for consumption in the room.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:13 AM

Duh, it suddenly occurred to me that we won't be driving. We are stopping by train between Lyon and Paris for two nights in Beaune. Guess we don't need parking for our train! LOL!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 11:01 PM

We stayed at Le Cedre late May for euro140 without breakfast. It and Beaune was a highlight of a six week trip to France, Britain and the US.

We stayed in about 22 hotels and as small hotel operators ourselves were generally very disappointed with quality and service
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:40 PM

I loved Le Cep in Beaune - here's the web address - http://www.hotel-cep-beaune.com/. In the 16th century, it was a private home. Each room is named after a different Burgundy vineyard and furnished with antiques. The dining room is in the former wine cellars. The famous Hospice de la Beaune is steps away. However at 160 Euros, it may be a bit outside your price range ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -