Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotels? Please help, my mom is driving me crazy!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sigh... I have done a ton of research on this site here, but I really need your help.<BR><BR>I am looking for a hotel in the 5th or 6th arrondisement (preferably the 6th) that is on a A) quieter street, but that also has B) twin rooms (two beds) that are large enough to feel &quot;comfortable&quot; living in for about 14 days.<BR><BR>My mom and I are going on a &quot;girls&quot; trip to Paris for the first time, and she is worried about the tiny tiny rooms I have been finding, although she loves the hotels I found (thanks to you all!). I have found the Hotel St. Paul, Trianon Rive Gauche, Clos Medicis, Hotel de Notre Dame, the Le Senateur.<BR><BR>Can anyone PLEASE recommend a hotel that we might be able to count on for larger rooms for two twin beds? Thank you so much!!<BR><BR>Lisa
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 12:27 PM

I think you'd better state your budget, because that may be the problem. Those hotels aren't cheap cheap, but they aren't that expensive for one of the most expensive hotel areas of Paris (6th). You rarely find good size rooms in budget hotels. <BR><BR>If money isn't a problem, I know there have been some posts on here of people who said they had good size rooms in the 6th in some 4* hotels -- maybe they'll respond, but I seem to recall the Aubusson and maybe Relais St Germain? Also, the Madison does have some decent size rooms, although maybe not all (I think that's true of other hotels, also).<BR><BR>Have you looked at the Residence Henri IV in the 5th? It has apts/suites and is in a relatively quiet area. <BR>http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005henri2.htm
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 12:57 PM

I would investigate renting a apt. if space is that important. Citadines is the name of one company that rents apts., I believe. Search Google for Paris apartments, perhaps.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 01:00 PM

The rooms in the St Paul are very charming and so is the staff, but they are especially small. <BR>We considered staying at the Clos Medici and they have rooms on the garden that are supposed to be lovely and a little larger.<BR>Considering that you will be sharing a room with your mom, you might want to at least have a little room to move around in<BR>It is almost across the street from the Luxembourg Palace and Gardens, it is a very nice area, and not too noisy, get an &quot;inner&quot; room, not on the street.<BR>
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Lt-If I were going to Paris for 2 weeks with my Mother I'd want a 1 bedroom apt. not a hotel room. If she wanted to nap, I could read or watch Tv in the sitting room,a kitchenette for breakfast or nights we were just too tired to go out. Here's a website that's been mentioned for apts<BR>parisperfect.com I'm sure if you do a text search here Paris AND aprtments there are other sites. It will wind up costing less as well. Bonne chance
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the lightening fast replies!<BR><BR>Christina, excellent point: the budget. Well, we are hoping to spend about $200 or less per night.<BR><BR>I am glad to hear the feedback on the Hotel St. Paul, because that was a leading contender and now it may be out! LOL!!<BR><BR>The apts. are interesting, is that the Citadines des Pres? (I probably have the name wrong).<BR><BR>What to you all know about the Sully St. Germain or the Hotel Observatoire Luxembourg? I read in Budget Travel mag. that they are generally more &quot;modest&quot; sized rooms, not &quot;tiny.&quot;<BR><BR>I do love my mom to pieces, but yes, I can definitely imagine that spending 14 days together in very cramped quarters might, er, well, strain our relationship a bit. ;-) We don't plan on spending a ton of time in our room of course, but still... that is concern and I respect it.<BR><BR>I hope to hear more feedback. Thanks!<BR>Lisa
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 01:25 PM

For 14 days you might be better off renting an apartment? If you give your budget there might be some suggestions.....<BR><BR>Otherwise I stayed at Hotel Le Regent on Rue Dauphine in the 6th for 7 nights in a twin bedded room with my mother-in-law. While it wasn't big it felt quite spacious due to 3 large sets of french windows, a small seating area (2 chairs/table), a quite large bathroom with jacuzzi bath and a mirrored foyer so that one person could be in the bathroom and the other in the foyer doing make up etc. It was 183 Euro - I have pictures if you'd like to see them. E mail me at [email protected]
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 02:15 PM

lt- Further on the apartment scenario, the parisperfect apts are all in the 7th but I urge you to check it out. They really look beautiful. There's one with 2 bathrooms so you could each have your own &amp; others on this site have stayed there &amp; said it's great. Patrick, a highly knowledgeable poster here, has recommended a site www.sant.com with an apt in the 6th that's a bit less $ but there are no photos. Citadines is an apt/hotel that has several locations. You can do a search.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 02:42 PM

Actually, www.sant.com has many photos on the website of the apt. Looks very good. I have used www.aparisianhome.com many times and have been very happy with their apts and service.I totally agree that you need an apt for the two weeks!
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 03:18 PM

You are staying in Paris for longer than most people and at a time when travel is down. You might be able to negotiate a family room, double bed and one or two twins, for the price of a double. Try it if the other suggestions don't work.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 04:11 PM

I stayed at the Clos Medicis for 12 days about a year ago. I had a streetside Superior Double, which was just fine for me, solo, but not for a mother and daughter for 2 weeks. I think they have larger rooms on the garden side. The hotel was lovely, immaculate housekeeping, terrific staff,good breakfast, and a fantastic location, quiet but easy walk to many, many things. I loved the proximity to the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens. In your case, I think I might look for an apartment, as other posters have said, or at least a family room.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Go to slowtrav.com to read some reviews of apts. in Paris. With 2 weeks there, I don't think there's any question that an apt. is the way to go -- less expensive AND more fun. That way you can take advantage of all the wonderful food you'll find in Paris' markets to fix your own meals occasionally, even if it's just to warm up the goodies you buy at the market.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 04:31 PM

Hotel de L'Abbaye St. Germain, rue Cassette, 6th
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 05:22 PM

For $200/night, isn't it possible to find a decent hotel in the 5th and take 2 rooms? . . .This way, each person could have their 'space' at the end of a day, and also each have their own bathroom...
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 08:01 PM

Tell Mom to pick the hotel.<BR>Controlling moms give me a pain.<BR>Combined with a controlling father, I had something of a problem for years.<BR><BR>Sorry if I sound petulant, but the old story of mom telling daughter (or in my case telling son) to do it and then complaining when it doesn't suit her is a lose - lose situation for YOU.<BR><BR>At least get it on a win - loose basis where you at least have a chance of doing something right. <BR><BR>Give her the info you have, and tell her to do it. If you don't &quot;bust loose&quot; at some point, you will be manipulated forever. <BR><BR>At best, make us the writers on the forum the bad guys! We steered you wrong!<BR><BR>
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 03:46 AM

Check out the Parc St. Severin. We had a large room there with very large bathroom--rm 50, but it had a double bed rather than two singles. You might communicate with them by e-mail and see if they can guarantee a larger room with twin beds. I bet they can. Good luck.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Lisa, your budget isn't that bad ($200), I thought maybe you were looking around $125 or so. You should be able to get what you want for that. I would check out the Residence Henri IV, as I suggested, because that is a place with some charm and about 200 euro. Maybe it was Le Regent, also as a hotel others said had large rooms.<BR><BR>I've rented an apt. in Paris and, in fact, just did again so know that area fairly well and am not sure I would recommend that to you. I just don't think it is as foolproof or as great an idea as others, and I really would not recommend you stay in the Citadines unless you simply want a basic/functional room with no style or charm. That doesn't seem to be what you want nor what I would recommend for a good Paris first-time experience. I don't think they are that large, either, and a nice hotel would be preferable to me.<BR>
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:27 AM

I'm sorry if I have forgotten your details, but I think this is your first visit, you want something nice and charming NOT &quot;just a place to sleep because we're never there&quot;, and you are going in just a few weeks? That may affect the apartment decision, which I'll comment more on. <BR>
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:28 AM

Renting apartments on vacations involves a lot of trust and planning and problems. First, the best are booked up WAY ahead of time; second, many of them are not as nice as moderately charming hotels; third, you have no one there to help you with anything or answer questions, call a taxi, etc; fourth, they usually require huge advance payments and deposits and no refunds if you don't like them or change plans near the travel date (usually within 30-60 days ahead of time). <BR><BR>(Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think Patrick recommended that URL so I wouldn't go with that, I believe he just found it and was renting it but hadn't even stayed there yet, I don't think that's a good choice for you).<BR><BR>I considered aparisianhome.com also because they do have some decent apts. and prices, but, as I recall, they require a 100 pct payment considerably in advance. That made me hesitant to book because I found other things better without that requirement, but I would trust them more than some unknown private individual or agency. <BR>
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:35 AM

www.paris-sleeps.com is an American woman who has been in business quite a while and knows how to deal with clients -- she has several in the Latin Qtr, in particular a twin-bedded on rue l'Ecole Polytechnique which could suit you and is in your budget.<BR><BR>www.rentinparis.com has some of the best rates and prices I've seen; they have several nice ones of various sizes in a nice building near the Sorbonne (6 rue Victor Cousin), including a twin 1BR within your budget. Their apts are very nice compared to many others.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -