Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I Want to find Some Shoes to Walk in Which are Comfortable and Sexy - Does Such a Shoe Exist?

Search

I Want to find Some Shoes to Walk in Which are Comfortable and Sexy - Does Such a Shoe Exist?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Searching

I am tired of wearing clunky shoes and I want to get some flats which are sexy. However, my feet are accustomed to comfort. Any suggestions?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:14 AM
impossible

no

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Imelda

There is no such thing as a sexy flat shoe.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:53 AM
elaine

Here's a compromise suggestion<BR>Last year before going to Rome I had the same thought you did.<BR>I had already bought some Mephistos, wonderful walking shoes, but not exactly chic with skirts which I like to wear in warm weather.<BR><BR>I found a German brand of shoes called<BR>Theresia M. Some department stores and specialty shoe stores carry them--you can do a web search. The shoes come with their own removable orthotic to provide extra support and comfort.<BR><BR>The style I bought is pump-ish, has a strap across the instep of the foot, plus a 1 1/2 inch square heel. I wouldn't call them sexy, but they aren't bad looking, they are higher than flats, and they give the leg a not-too-clunky look.<BR>Best of all, they were incredibly comfortable for my feet, and I walked miles in them every other day for 14 days in Italy, alternating days with the Mephistos.<BR>I would urge you to try on any shoe and not just order from a website.<BR>good luck

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Searching

Elaine: Thanks for your detailed response. <BR><BR>I am in New York -- does anyone know where these shoes might be sold?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:38 AM
nyc

Try the many Otto Tootsie Plohound stores in Manhattan. I recently purchased a pair of Prada shoes there that were a cross between a ballet shoe/tennis shoe/and Mary Jane. They are so comfortable and I wear them everywhere (w/ skirts & pants). Otto Tootsie Plohound also makes their own type of "Prada"-like shoes that are quite comfortable and are 1/2 the price of the Pradas.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Julie

Not for all day walking, but if you want a nice sandal that looks pretty sexy and is still as comfortable as they come, try Onyx. I bought a pair at a "Carrie Bradshaw" type shoe store, that feel like they came from "Comfort Shoes" They have about an inch to inch and a quarter wedge, that wonderful non-sticky stuff on the inside, and about a 3 inch black snake skin like material to hold it on. Toeless and heeless. Weigh half waht other sandals weigh. I think Nordstrom carries the brand and a place called Do Toni in the Galleria in Minneapolis. Made in Italy.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Barb

I'm wearing a sandal called "Dune" by Naturalizer. I bought it and have worn it frequently over the past 3 weeks to be sure it is really comfortable for my trip to France this week. It comes in several colors and runs a little under $49. Nordstroms and Federated stores carry them, also online at www.naturalizeronline.com<BR><BR>The sole is padded and comfy, and there is enough support from the upper to keep my feet from getting tired. I think for a supportive sandal, it's pretty good looking, but it is definitely not a strappy little number. They do look good with a skirt.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Dallas

On another thread, I read about Dexter shoes. Checked the internet and found a pair I really like -- however, I'd rather try them on first. Does anyone know what department stores or shoe stores carry Dexters? I checked the internet for this, but couldn't find any listed. Thanks.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:18 PM
xxx

Lots of stores carry Dexter, including the discount shoe chain, Famous Footwear.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:26 PM
sicula

I've walked four continents in the same pair of Mephitos sandals that I am wearing today. They are lovely and go with any thing except a ball gown. More importantly, they have even withstood an occasional bout in the automatic clothes washer without any complications.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:26 PM
cd

I have to wear orthodics all the time except when I wear Birkenstock. I just bought a pair of sandels. They take a while to break in because your feet form the shoe, so you wear them a couple hrs a day until that happens. My feet do not hurt in them at all. They are made in Germany.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:52 PM
NYgirl

Searching~<BR>There is a store on the West side,Columbus Ave. or Amsterdam,that is called Medici.They have very affordable,comfortable shoes,some pretty good clones of Prada and Gucci.So they are stylish and not hard on your feet.<BR>I had a pair of their boots one year on a Paris trip,I wore <BR>them every day,they were as good as any sneakers or walking shoes.<BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Nurse Ratchet

I swear by my nursing shoes. Fruit cup anyone?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Tom

It's time this thread got a guy's perspective.<BR><BR>You get whatever sexy shoes you like.<BR><BR>You sit, in a short skirt and your sexy shoes at a sidewalk cafe, and don't worry about whether they are comfortable enough to walk in.<BR><BR>You catch guys by the dozens, and wade through them to find one who is rich enough, studly enough and sensitive to your needs.<BR><BR>Then you seduce him with your eyes and say "would you go buy me some comfortable shoes?"... for "after"...?<BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:01 PM
just Agirl

Tom,<BR>I think I like you

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:14 PM
regular

Sorry..but I do not get the sandel concept for city wear!, In paris you step in poop and YUCK! in fall or winter your toes freeze off..or do you all only travel in summer and don't care about "poop sur la sidewalk"!Do you never stub your toes?<BR><BR>Nothing against sandels , great for the beach ..but for heavy duty walking in a city .I'm sorry but I miss the point!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:10 PM
nyer

This might not apply to Paris, but in NY and I think in London, sandals are worn without too much concern about dog droppings,NYers pick up after their dogs,I never remember seeing anything on London streets/sidewalks.<BR>I think the original question was about a comfortable shoe..not sandal.<BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:15 PM
only

I am Begining to think there are no comfortable shoes! If only I could go barefoot!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:44 PM
xxx

My father in law once made a comment about the 'weird ugly' shoes I wear. I replied that his son seemed to like it when my feet were comfortable and I was therefore happy and pleasant to be around. 'If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.' You might consider changing your definition of sexy to include what is comfortable to you and what enables you enjoy life. <BR><BR>Let the firestorm begin....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -