Reload this Page >

Italy's best beaches?

Search

Italy's best beaches?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Nina

Italy's best beaches?

What were some of the best beaches you've visited in Italy?<BR><BR>What was offered at these beaches (i.e. restaurants, showers, activities, etc.) <BR><BR>And are there any nude beaches in Italy and where are they? and what were they like?<BR><BR>thanks.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:44 AM
John G

One of Italy's best beaches is Forte dei Marmi, north of Pisa. It is very exclusive here.<BR> <BR>I have been to a gay nude beach in Rome on the banks of the Tiber. It was very casual and relaxed and I felt very comfortable.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Tess

I don't associate "best beaches" and "Italy". However I've never visited Forte dei Marmi which is supposed to be a nice resort area.<BR><BR>It's quite lovely along the Cinque Terre villages (Monterosso is the 'beachiest') and also, beautiful on Amalfi Coast. I prefer not to show all, so can't say if either of these areas have nude beaches. There are stretches along the CT that are more private; if you wanted to go au naturale, I doubt anyone would object.<BR><BR>Has anyone been to Adriatic side around Rimini and points south?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:11 PM
GAC

Many people believe that Italy's best beaches are on the island of Sardinia (where there are also "nude" beaches!).

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Ursula

Vieste, Gargano Bay north of Bari.<BR>Just awesome and almost no foreign tourists.<BR>But you better speak some Italian there.<BR><BR>Rimini is known as the "sardine can" or "flesh market". To be avoided.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:43 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Best I have found are at Sperlonga, about 2 hours south of Rome. But, the water in the Med is not like Florida. It can be chilly most of the year. Go to Greece or Fl for beaches--Italy has so much else to offer.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:22 PM
christina

i agree with gac. sardegna's beaches are stunning and incredible beautiful. i love the island and the numerous nude beaches as well. <BR><BR>tanti saluti<BR><BR>christina

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:54 PM
peter

there are excellent beaches at viareggio. we saw everything from suited to topless to 2 yougn ladies totally nude. no one cares how you swim or walk aroiund. most of the beraches are pay- a small fee but you are provided with towels, an umbrella and chairs. there are food and drink avaible and the place iw well amintained to the sand is free of sharp objects

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 09:26 AM
topper

Topping for Richard

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Jan

I have only been to the beaches in Sardinia, but they were wonderful. The water was incredibly clean, about 80 degrees and gentle. Many can only be reached by boat, so are very private. Depending on the beach, they may have restaurant facilities or not. Perfect for young children, but then, that may not be an endorsement for you! ;-)<BR>Jan

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:54 AM
toptop

For Rocky..

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Ian

Thre are really 4 factors to consider: the quality of the beach itself (i.e. sand quality and size - length and depth), quality of the facilities, quality i.e. cleanliness of the water and finally temperature of the water. Unfortunately, nowhere meets all four requirements. <BR>Forte dei Marmi is good on 1 & 2, Sardinia is usually good on 1 & 3 and sometimes on 2 but not on 4 especially at the north and west sides of the island - temperature is better at the south east. <BR>One of Italy's best kept secrets is the Salento area i.e. the very heel of the Italian boot where the beaches are st in coves and are made up of wonderful sand and with very warm water. Facilities on the beach are poor though. On the other hand you have the opportunity to visit Lecce which has unbelievable Baroque architecture - it is almost worth visiting Italy for this alone.

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping this thread for SallySally.<BR><BR>Even if this thread is about a year old, the beaches should still be there. ;o)<BR><BR>...and spring is in the air!
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 07:06 AM
LJ

As this useful thread has been &quot;topped&quot; let me add an endorsement for the Vieste beaches on the Gargano peninsula and also the beaches south of Bari and north of Ostune/i aka &quot;the White City&quot;, all along the Adriatic coast in Puglia. <BR><BR>Puglia or Apullia, which has not been mentioned yet I think, is the holiday choice for a lot of Italian families and German and Dutch tourists during the season (mid-July to late August) which IMO makes for great people watching. But if thats not your thing, then come before the season starts-its pelenty hot enough here in mid June to enjoy the terrific scenery in a off-the-beaten track part of Italy.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 10:37 AM
JBX

Now that we have the ability to input links to other threads, here's similar topic &quot;10 Most Beautiful Beaches in Italy&quot; --- <BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=1371488<BR>