Search

Money Belts

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money Belts

I'm going on my first trip solo to Spain in a few weeks. I'm a female in my early 30's. I was wondering if others have any suggestions of a good branded waist money belt? I have seen some in the stores and they are so bulky and obvious. Any suggestions? Or any other tips for carrying valuables......money, passports, and documents?
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:06 AM

After reading all the reviews on Amazon.com, we got the Rick Steves' money belt. Just got it a week ago, it's very lightweight and comfortable (made of a silk lining.

Here's the link and good luck!
http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Si...447&sr=8-1
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Hi gtrekker2003,

I used this wallet from Magellans, http://tinyurl.com/2bmma5

I used the safety pin method, the one that came with it and another to pin the wallet horizontally to my pants' waist. It was nice to not have a strap wrapped around my waist in the usual style of money belt.

I also tried some socks that have a zip pocket. Interesting but I liked the wallet better.

I've also used this style wallet: http://tinyurl.com/5gdwmx I've worn it with the strap cross-body and the wallet itself tucked into my pants, easy to pull out to access. It also works under a dress cross-body, though need a private place to access.

Cheers.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM

I prefer the type that has a loop that slips over your belt and hangs between you and your slacks, or slacks with a hidden side zipper pocket (see LLBean), as I don't care for all that bulk in front.

Once at our destination, I leave the passport in the hotel safe and carry a copy. Then, have only one or two cards (leave the rest in the hotel safe) in one front pocket and a bit of cash in the other. I favor clothing with very deep front pockets.

There's also a nifty tiny pouch, just large enough for a card or two and some cash. Two styles at www.travelwares.com

The important thing is that your valuables are secure and invisible at all times. While out and about, it's best not to carry everything, and best not to carry it all in one place.
Old May 25th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find it works better to wear the waist money belt with the pouch at the back rather than the front.
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM

I like the rick steve's money belt, worn on my lower back. My husband likes the one that attaches to his belt and rides inside his slacks - but I usually don't wear a belt and some of my pants don't have belt loops.
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:21 PM

I use the money belt that goes around the neck...BUT...I wear it around my waist.

I pull the draw sting as tight as needed and tuck the bag part into my unders. It stays in place and tucks back in after loo breaks.

Its more comfy there and I never have the dorky string around my neck!
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the tip - we really need a couple for our upcoming trip to Barcelona, where I hear the pick pockets are VERY talented! I ordered two of the Rick Steves' from amazon.com just now! Debra
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 08:41 PM

I reworked a money belt so that it is more comfortable for me. I cut off the waist band and attached narrow elastic to the narrow end of the pouch. I wear it over my shoulder with the pouch under my arm. If I need an item during the day, I go to a restroom or secluded place & I can pull the pouch down enough to access it. Then it pops back up in place! I have been very happy with this plan. Oh, I also use a safely pin around the elastic & my bra strap to keep it in place.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 02:21 PM

I had a really nice money belt when I visited Barcelona and Spain last year, but it turned out to be SO hot and humid that it was miserable to wear it. I ended up just leaving it in the hotel safe. I kept a color copy of my passport in a very small ziploc plastic baggy at the very bottom of my purse (which I used when purchasing train tickets with my credit card). Why the plastic baggy? Because although it was hot, it also poured rain and my purse got drenched, but the copy of the passport stayed nice and dry.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM

I'm of the opinion that you wear your money abroad like you do at home. I keep mine in my front pocket because it can't be gotten to by anybody but me there. You might not feel a pickpocket dipping into your backpack or back pocket, but you're gonna feel and see someone going for your front pocket.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" I keep mine in my front pocket because it can't be gotten to by anybody but me there." Not necessarily true. For some stories of successful pickpocketing from a front pocket see: www.travelinginspain.com/safety2.htm. A good pickpocket is very, very good. After all, it's his/her profession.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 04:19 PM

We use the cotton pocket that Scotlib shows....it's perfect. Our passport fits (I had to remove one row of stitching to make the passport fit but that's no problem).

I don't wear a belt so I use a large safety pin to hold the tab to my pants and the pocket lies between my slacks and my underware. I've used this same pocket for years.....it really holds up perfectly with a quick hand washing each trip.