Philadelphia - hotel and other questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling October 11th - 18th. Our original plan was to go to Washington D.C. and Philadelphia. However, we just found out that the American History museum in DC will not be re-opening until November. Since that is our favorite museum we are thinking of doing Washington another time and spending the whole week in Philadelphia. We've never been there before.

My questions:

1. I have the Alexander Inn booked for part of the week and they aren't available for the rest of the week. The price is so reasonable I'm inclined to stay there anyway and just move somewhere else for the rest of the week. What would be another good place to stay? DH would like a workout room. A pool would be a plus but not a necessity. We will have a car so we'll need parking. Our budget is around $200, but we could go up to $250 if necessary.

2. Is there enough to do for a full week? We are a couple in our early 50s who like historical sites, museums, shopping, and walking around cities. We're not into nightlife or gourmet dining.

3. What's the best day trip outside the city?

4. If a week is too long for Philadelphia, what other destination could we combine it with?

Thanks for any help that you can provide!
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:11 AM

The Rittenhouse looks like a nice property; rooms are pricey, but they may offer an internet special. Last time we were in the Philadelphia area, our focus was to go to Longwood Gardens in the Brandywine Valley, so we stayed at a lovely B & B, the Hamanasset. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM
yk

1) Go to www.gophila.com and click on the "special offers" tab. There is the "Philly Overnight" special which includes 2 nights of free parking. I don't think any hotels in Center City offer free parking (unless it's a special promo).

2) I think 1 whole week is a bit much for Philadelphia. Perhaps the countryside such as Brandywine or Bucks County? Mid-October may still be an okay time for foliage, perhaps in the Poconos area?

3) Hard to say "best" place for a day trip. I always enjoy Longwood gardens but I have never visited during fall. New Hope is cute, or perhaps even Princeton, NJ.

4) see #2.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM

If you are into history and museums, then you could stretch out a week in Philly with day trips. I'm going to presume you have already planned your trips to the "crown jewels" of Philly history.

First of all, do NOT rent your car until you're ready to do day trips outside of Philly itself. Two day passes on SEPTA will get you to every part of the city you will want to visit, and SEPTA will get you there faster, easier, and cheaper. Parking and driving are probably the WORST aspect of Philly for visitors.

Some overlooked gems in the city:
Mummer Museum
U-Penn Anthropology Museum
Masonic Temple
Italian Market (on Saturdays)
City Hall (on clear day)
Magic Gardens on South Street

Some good day trips:
Lancaster
Gettysburg
Valley Forge
Longwood Gardens
Camdem Waterfront
Morris Arboretum
Chadd's Ford / Brandywine Battle Site
Michener Museum
Washington Crossing State Park
Trenton
Atlantic City (not for everyone)
Wilmington
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info! We aren't renting a car, we are driving there but we plan to park it and only use it if we leave the city.

Anyone have hotel recommendations?
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:47 AM
yk

Pat-

If you go to the link I gave you above (GoPhila.com), you can search for hotels for your dates and limit your search with the "features" option and click on swimming pool and fitness center.

The Hampton Inn is $175
Sheraton Center City is $219
The Sofitel is $235
Doubletree is $169
etc etc etc

I'd choose Sofitel.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Great, I'll take a look. Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Two more must-sees:

Reading Terminal Market -- A large, bustling, wonderful place to eat and explore.

The Mutter Museum at the College of Physicians -- talk about hidden gems! http://www.collphyphil.org/index.asp

SInce you like walking around cities, be sure to go off the beaten path at both the east and west ends of center city (east and west of Broad Street). There are many small, charming, tree-lined streets of rowhouses that make up little rabbit warrens of neighborhoods. Get a good street map and explore!
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Check out Loews Hotel. It is near City Hall and you can walk to Reading Terminal Market, Old Town, and Rittenhouse Square.

If you like to shop, you would probably like Main St. in Manayunk for a day trip. Eat at Derek's or go to Brew Pub for a beer.

Also: www.barnesfoundation.org

Thingorjus
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Amy

Philadelphia is a very walkable city indeed. There are a number of walking tours through the various regions of Center City (the downtown area) but there are also other neighborhoods to visit such as Chestnut Hill and Manayunk. Walking along the Schuylkill River on Kelly Drive, visiting the Waterworks and then the Art Museum is a wonderful way to spend a day. You could also continue along the Parkway to the Rodin Museum

Depending on the time that you take in museums, you could easily spend a week here and stay busy, but it's sometimes nice to break away with a day trip to someplace like PA Dutch country or New Hope or even Cape May, NJ.

There are lots of places for good but not gourmet food (although there are the places for that as well!) and I agree that the Reading Terminal Market is a must.

If you'd like to see a few pictures to whet your appetite, you can go to my albums here:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/3...vhost=outdoors

and here:

ttp://outdoors.webshots.com/album/563154710eoxUAu?vhost=outdoors

I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can; I've been here 43 years and haven't gotten bored yet!

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 12:41 PM

Amy is right -- lots of good food, some gourmet, some not. Go over to chowhound.com, go on the Pennsylvania board, and do a search for BYOBs. While the concept isn't unique to Philadelphia, we've got a ton of wonderful ones. Could be right up your alley. (Speaking of which, if you're in the Old City area you'll surely visit Elfreth's Alley.)
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Depending on how thorough you are, you could easily spend a week in Philadelphia with plenty to see. I'd do a hunt through a Frommer's or Fodor's book on the city for details on what to do and see. And Philly is very walkable. One caveat about the Mutter Museum -- it's a medical museum with a lot of anatomical oddities and such, so if such things bother you, it's not a good sightseeing choice.

The Alexander Inn is excellent, centrally located, and very reasonably priced. Most anyplace else will be notably more expensive.

For day trips: possibilities might include Lancaster and Pennsylvania Dutch country, Bucks County, the Brandywine area, Gettysburg, or Atlantic City. A car is very useful for most of these, though.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 01:07 PM

The Rittenhouse is great. Any hotel on Rittenhouse square is really nice. The Westin on 17th and Chestnut is also right in Center City. I've stayed there twice.

I highly recommend a trip to New Hope in Bucks County, a trip out to the Pocanos, and a trip down to the Jersey Shore (not Atlantic City! there are plenty of other cute beach towns).

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 01:08 PM

You could also combine it with a trip to Hershey Park or the Hershey Hotel. YUM
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM

If you want to get outside of the city, I recommend Longwood Gardens. Fall would be beautiful there.

Another option is Winterthur - the former DuPont estate.