Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for a great Italian restaurant for girls' weekend

Old Aug 15th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are three girlfriends in our late 40's going to NYC for a weekend next month.

Looking for an upscale Northern Italian restaurant with great food and a fun ambience - nothing too stuffy.

Is Babbo worth the price?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We can cab it anywhere in the city.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 06:09 AM

I think Lupa (Thompson St., Greenwich Village, http://www.luparestaurant.com/) would fit the bill---I have not been to Babbo though so perhaps someone could chime in on its value.

While the food is not as good in my opinion, if the weather is great than I'd look at sitting outside at Bar Pitti around the corner on 6th ave.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Morandi ... Keith McNally's Italian in the West Village.

www.morandiny.com

Babbo is way past its prime.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gekko, have you eaten at Morandi and if so, what did you think?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Why is Babbo way past its prime?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Has anyone tried Lydia Bastianich (sp?) restaurant?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM

My fave new FoodTV show is Secrets of a Restaurant Chef with Anne Burrell and I've been telling myself when I get to NYC I'm going to her place Centro Vinoteca - I'd like to hear if anyone's been there but if her menu is like what she cooks on TV - yummm

http://www.centrovinoteca.com/index.html
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

any more suggestions for great Northern Italian restaurants that you have eaten at?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM
mp

Scarpetta on W. 14th Street is wonderful - it just received 3 stars from the NY Times. Good luck getting a reservation - try opentable.com and/or calling 30 days in advance.
http://events.nytimes.com/2008/07/30...ws/30rest.html

We ate at Centro Vinoteca last weekend - we liked it very much - terrific wine list, lots of interesting small plates,cool, midcentury modern decor, very friendly, genial service - but an early Sunday dinner on a summer weekend almost guarantees that - restaurants are happy to see anybody then . . .it's on opentable, also. Others have told me it can be a zoo.

Morandi, Babbo, Lupa, dell'anima, da silvano, all have their fans and can turn out terrific food . . .

I'm not sure what you mean by "Northern Italian" - do you just mean NOT southern Italian - tht is, neopolitan, sicilian red sauce based, checked tablecloth, baked parm sort of food? Or do you mean Venetian? Friulian? Tuscan? Bolognese based cuisine? You can check out menus at www.menupages.com.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi mp, you are right on! I am not looking southern Italian - that is, neopolitan, sicilian red sauce based, checked tablecloth, baked parm sort of food.

Have you eaten at Scarpetta?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM

YOu might try Pomodoro on Columbus Ave and 71st St. GREAT food, good service, nice wine list and homemade bread all night with your dinner. They also have outdoor seating. My FAV Italian in the city.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks travelbuff. Pomodoro is great but we have all been there before. Can you think of any other places we might like? Great food, nice decor but not too over the top.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM
mp

yes, Scarpetta is a few blocks from my house - I have been twice with my family and friends and have tried many of the dishes and hope to go back soon - although i think it will be at the ungodly hour of a Monday night at 5:30 . . .

Scarpetta might be the best new restaurant I've eaten in this past year or 18 months. I wouldn't characterize as Northern Italian, per se as much as "new Italian" or New York Italian. I agreed a lot with the NY Magazine and the NY Times reviews . . .
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Babbo is my wife's favorite. Mario Batali is part owner in Lupa and Babbo. Babbo being high end and Lupa being a more reasonable priced restaurant. IMO both are excellent choices. For more upscale, then go with Babbo though making reservations will be tough unless you eat very late or very early. Another two suggestions is Peasant http://www.peasantnyc.com/ in Nolita. Very good. The other would be Mario and Lidia Bastianich's Del Posto http://www.delposto.com/ near the Meat Packing District which is excellent. In any case, have fun.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Yes thought of another REALLY good one, Quatro Gati just off 3rd Ave on 81st. First time there I was with friend who had just come back from Italy and said the food at the restaurant rivaled the better places she visited in Italy. Lovely decor, GREAT food (loved the beef carpacio), excellent wine list, great service and well priced.
Also outdoor seating.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM

If you are looking for a true Italian restaurant that is a secret hideaway, complete with a piano player a la Billy Joel's piano man I will let you in on a secret:

Aturos on Houston at

It is not upscale, but it is amazing... I would start with a coal pizza as an appetizer and then get entrees... I splurge here and get the clams and shrimp fra di vlo (sp.) over Raviolli (yup, over raviolli)

The chicken and veal parm are also recommended and you really can't go wrong with anything here.

The house wines are perfect.

The salads can be shared.... and this is real New York ladies...

Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
mp

amandaamanda, if you read the question and the entire thread, the OP specifically requested NOT a red sauce, veal parm place - which Arturo's on Houston, (a perfectly OK place) is.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 03:10 AM

Gigino in Tribeca (Battery Place).
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 03:33 AM

I have eaten at many of Mario Batali's restaurants including Lupa but not Babbo and do not get it. His food is often over salted and never spectacular. A friend who is a food writer thinks Batali is a genius. I ask him is that opinion is based on the relationship or what is served. I also wonder how celebrity chefs keep so many spots consistent if they are not in the front or in the kitchen.

I have also eaten Felidia's and that was above average but once again not even close to the hype.

I prefer a romano restaurant on First Avenue called Cacio e Pepe.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM

I've dined at Morandi at least a dozen times and the cuisine and service are consistently excellent.

The atmosphere is also great.

It's the perfect choice for janiekins.