Durango: in town or on the mountain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Durango in August with my family (4 kids). I have a couple of places to choose from for a week of lodging. What do you experts think about in town vs. close to the mountain?

We like to bike and hike (light stuff) and explore streams and rivers, low-key stuff. The house near the mtn is on acreage near Hermosa Cliffs (?). The other is in town on Avenida del Sol-I presume it is near the river and path but am working on a firm answer.

Any thoughts?

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:10 AM

I would choose in town with 4 kids - since you will have more choices of things to do - Hermosa Cliffs area isn't close to much, but it is still a wonderful area. Hermosa Creek is a great area to hike, bike and fish...

However there are also tons of hiking and biking options very near or practically in the town of Durango including Test Track, Horse Gulch, and around Ft. Lewis College plus my very favorite area the Colorado Trail...

Durango is a great town to visit.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 01:35 PM

www.soaring.com

first class adventure. ride the train to get to it.

http://www.photoworks.com/members/Spirobulldog

Click on "view all" albums

I have several zipline pics in Mesa Verde Album
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 02:10 PM

I agree that with 4 kids, you would be better to base in Durango proper and then go to where you want to have fun.

There will be more opportunities to eat and for evening activities in town.

I live nearby and if I can help with any specifics, ask away.

Deb

If you hadn't planned on it, do be sure to visit Mesa Verde NP - it is amazing.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Deb. We're thinking of renting bikes for the week. Do you know if we can ride them in town or along the river?

Also, I have read some previous posts on the train and think that taking it roundtrip would be too much for the kids in one day (ages 4-12). We could take the bus back, which is often suggested, or stay in Silverton overnight but I'm not sure how the schedule works as far as coming back the next day or what we would do there. Any thoughts?

Finally, can you tell me what these jeep tours are like? My kids would probably love a ghost town or a mine tour but I don't know about several hours in the car. Once we get to Durango we'd like to concentrate on outside as opposed to in the car. The exception will be a day in Mesa Verde which you have all convinced me is a must see. I'll be planning that soon and will probably have lots of questions!
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM

You would probably enjoy the train ride one way and taking bus the other way. The train is very scenic, but does get boring if you are on it all day. If you want to take the train roundtrip, just go up in the morning and return that afternoon.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM

You will love riding the Animas River Trail! It is along the river and is paved and an easy, enjoyable ride.

I agree that the train is best one way. It doesn't much matter which direction you train or bus. IF you go from Durango to Silverton, sit on the right side; sit on left if you go reverse.

I would not stay in Silverton overnight. There is nothing really there, save a few gift shops and a couple of not so good restaurants that charge a lot for food since trainriders are a captive group.

As for the jeep rides, most of them are off road things that go over some narrow, curvy, rocky roads. The jeeps are all open and you get a good bouncing! There aren't ghost towns per se.

Tom Boy goes through an old mine town above Telluride, but that is a distance from Durango.

Hope this helps,
Deb
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Deb, for the info on the bus and the jeep tours. You confirmed my assumptions.

Spirobulldog, those are some beautiful photos! I play around with my camera a little when I can and I am inspired to get shooting in Colorado. I didn't have any luck with the soaring website-it was some generic thing. Is there any more info you can share on that?

Do either of you happen to know anything about a street right out of town called Avenida del Sol? I'm looking at a house there that looks great but I'm unsure about the locale. The agent hasn't actually been there (she says 2 mi from town) so I'm trying to find someone who has b/f I commit. I've looked at it on the map and it looks to be west of the college and close to a cemetary (?!) but I really don't know what I am looking at. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM

I don't know the exact street, but it is northwest of the downtown area. I don't think it would be within walking distance.

Yes, there is a cemetary nearby. It is most likely a residential area, west of the river but you would be fairly close the the Animas Trail entrance that is off 15th Street. I will be in Durango on the 10th, but I am guessing that will be too late for you??

I would be happy to check it out, if you'd like.

Deb
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:16 PM

www.soaringcolorado.com

sorry. your kids would love it. expensive, but worth it. price includes train ride and very good lunch on a huge platform way up in the trees. you spend about 2 or 3 hours on the train and about 5 hours at the zipline place. only way to get there is by train or helicopter.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM
bwg

Anyone been to Pagosa Springs? anything special to see or do there? not far from Durango right? Altho not sure where to fly in to to get there? Thanks!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Pagosa Springs is about a 2 hour drive from Durango. The hot springs are nice there, good skiing in winter. It is much smaller than Durango with less to offer, IMHO.

Durango has good skiing too and Trimble Hots Springs [which are far smaller than Pagosa]though.

Durango has a much wider range of activities, hotels, restuarants etc. and it is very close to Mesa Verde NP.

Albuquerque is the closed major airport to both Durango and Pagosa Springs. The drive is about the same distance to each place from ABQ.

Deb
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:16 AM
bwg

thanks! much appreciated!
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 06:15 AM

Hi bwg,

I read on another post that you were going to stay at the Conrad in CHicago. How did you like it? Was it in a good location and were the rooms spacious?

Sorry for the intrution in the original post.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 11:02 AM
bwg

Mary,
Re Conrad.
Unfortunately , I came down with the flu and we had to cancel. If oyu stay there would love to hear what you think--still hope to get there.
B.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 11:04 AM
bwg

I just checked Weather Underground and it says Pagosa Springs-- avg. high 45 in October is that correct???
I realize it's at high altitude , but that seems low....temp that is
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Altitude is everything! Keep in mind that the sun makes everything/one feel much warmer than what the thermometer shows.

That said, no 45 doesn't seem right.

Daytime highs should be mid 60's. A bit higher earlier in month, a bit lower towards end of the month.

Nights are another story. Temps can and will drop around 20 degrees or so once the sun goes down.

There most likely already be snow on the top of Wolf Creek in Pagosa.

Deb
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM

Bikes are definitely a good thing in Durango.

We ate a nice breakfast sit-down restaurant in the downtown area. A neat experience in Jan of 2007.

I would suggest checking out the college or the rec center info there, as they might have something family-oriented when you are there.