16 Days in Aspen/Snowmass area and Southwest Colorado

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My wife and I and our 12 and 14 year old boys are going to be in Colorado for about 16 days from June 23 - July 9. The first week we will be staying in Snowmass and the last 9 days or so we want to spend in Southwestern Colorado. We were thinking about staying in Telluride for that last 8 days or so but from reading other posts, it seems that many of you would advise against Telluride for more than a couple days.

We hope to do some white water rafting, possibly horseback riding and a lot of hiking. We would also enjoy visiting pretty little towns and historic sites.

We would love suggestions for:

1. Things not to miss in the Aspen/Snowmass area (especially scenic areas, drives and great day hikes).

2. Where to spend that last 8 - 9 days. We prefer not to move around too much so a place to base from would be ideal.

3. Things not to miss in the areas you recommend in Southwestern Colorado (especially scenic areas, drives and great day hikes).

Thanks.

Steve
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM

You might want to consider Durango for the last 8 days. You could do a day-trip to Telluride/Ouray. Ride the Durango-Silverton Narrow Guage. Visit Mesa Verde. Do some river rafting. Or split the time between Durango and Ouray.
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM

The Aspen loving folks will jump on me as they have in the past but I don't think that the immediate Aspen area in the summer time would be all that exciting for boys. I think it is a great adult community, the music festival is great, and so is the scenery. Leadville over Independence Pass would be interesting. Rent some bikes and do the Mineral Trail Loop -- I know the boys would love that. The outdoor hot spring pool in Glenwood Springs is unique. And, again, bike the Glenwood Canyon trail next to the Colorado River. Pack a lunch a hike off the canyon trail to Hanging Falls.

I would vote for Durango and at least one over night in Mesa Verde since you are in the area. Still thinks of those two boys after our two sons.
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Although I'm much more partial to Aspen in the summer than I am to Vail, I have to agree with fmpden that your two young teen boys may be closing in on boredom after day 2 in Aspen.

If your lodging isn't set in stone yet, I'd suggest considering staying in Glenwood Springs, and making Aspen a day trip. There's a huge hot springs pool and whitewater rafting on the Colorado River right through Glenwood Springs. A bike trip through the 15 miles of Glenwood Canyon would be great too. Take the bikes up the canyon to Grizzly Gulch or Bair Ranch, or even to Dotsero and bike DOWN the canyon - unless of course, you want to bike UP the canyon.

Note that most hiking in Colorado entails a lot of UP to get somewhere....and then a lot of DOWN to get back.

In Aspen, take the shuttle bus up to Maroon Lake. There are some easy hikes around and back of the lake to do. Also, drive up to and over Independence Pass - there may even be some snow left up there.

If the boys like to fish, consider giving them a guide for a day to teach them how to flyfish.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses and I apologize for not responding back earlier. We were out of the country for a few days and I wasn't able to concentrate on this.

With respect to the Aspen part of the trip, we are tied to this area because we bought the use of a condo in a charity auction. I have been to Aspen over 20 summers with my family so I am somewhat familiar with this area.

For the remaining 8 days or so, we thought the Southwest part would be neat and we'd heard alot about Telluride. It sounds like it would be good to spend some time further south also.

It is also important to note that my wife doesn't like to move around every couple days so we would like to stay 3 - 5 days in a couple places.

The questions I have are:

1. Is Telluride a place we could base from for 4-5 days?

2. If we want to see Mesa Verde and Durango, would it work to base in one place (maybe Durango) to see both?

Thanks.

Steve
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:43 PM

The short answer is sure, you can make it work. My personal opinion is that MVerda is best visited by an overnight. Part of the problem is that MV is hard to get to. From the highway you have a slow 15 mile drive into the Park. Be great to get into the park about mid day, stay at FarView overnight, spend most of the next day in the park and then go to Durango that evening. There tours that need reservations generally the day before. Telluride is a ski resort, Not a great deal different from Aspen, Durango is more interesting activity.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM

I agree that Telluride doesn't seem to have enough to offer for more than a couple of days. It's a great town, but Durango is better.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM

As a teenager living in Aspen I know your boys will love spending time here this summer. I agree the hot springs are fun but you should try to checkout the fairy cave too. They're so cool and there are some rides there too. In Aspen you should hike the hunter creek loop and go to the saturday market. They're both fun and beautiful sights. Don't forget to go to boogies, you have to try a milkshake!!!!!! it's too bad you won't be here for the 4th because the parade is great fun! Hike or ride the Gondola up Aspen mountain. Great but kind of hard to hike. Lunch at the Big Wrap is a must for anyone staying in Aspen, but long lines! (It's worth it!!!) Rafting in glenwood is also great fun. have a great time in Aspen!!!!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 11:42 AM

If at all possible you will want to go to Mesa Verde. I would suggest staying 2 nights at Far view lodge. Going through the many ruins is fun for the kids. The lodge, especially if you get a room on the edge of the mesa are great and the restaurant is first class.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 05:39 PM

I agree with mesa verde!