Has anyone been to "Hotel Carlysle"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to visit this hotel after having seen the cute movie "Little Manhattan" where the kids go to this hotel with the nice piano bar. We have two days in NY next week and this is one of our stops. Would you recommend it? We're going to see Mamma Mia (I'v never been to a Broadway play), ice skate in Rockefeller Plaza, shop in Soho and have pizza at "Grenolis" in Brooklyn. Any other suggestions for this short trip?
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:40 AM

If you plan to visit the Metropolitan and/or Whitney museum, this is an easy side trip. It's your typical (to me) expensive, old fashioned, old money NY hotel, so there's not really that much to look at, but if you like jazz, torch singers, etc..., it might be worth it to see who's playing and take in a show. The regular of the Cafe Carlyle, Bobby Short was a local draw, and was probably in dozens of movies as himself at the hotel, but alas, he doesn't play there anymore.

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:54 AM

Funny, I just recommended the Bemelman's bar in the Carlyle to you on your other thread. Yes, absolutely go but it's not near anything else you mention. The pizza I think you mean in Brooklyn is called Grimaldi's. Walking back to Manhattan from Brooklyn over the bridge is a popular thing to do after Grimaldi's for stunning views of the skyline. Jacques Torres chocolate is another popular stop near Grimaldi's.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:17 AM

The Carlyle -- one of the smaller, posh hotels. Bobby Short, incidentally, died March 21, 2005 of leukemia and is buried in his hometown, Danville, IL.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:12 AM

It's a traditional upscale hotel in a very traditional old money area of the city. Not a lot to see/do except the piano bar. Check for hours of operation, who is playing - and what the dress code is (definitely NOT tourist casuale).
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:01 PM

I liked to go to Brooklyn Ice Cream for apres Grimaldi's pizza. Is it still there?
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:10 PM

Quite a few years ago I went there for lunch and saw Princess Di.

Here is the entertainment schedule:
http://www.thecarlyle.com/entertainment.cfm
Judy Collins is performing there now.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I will save them all.
Wow, I didn't know that Bobby Short passed! How sad. Maybe we'll skip the Carlysle and visit some of the other suggestes lounge bars instead.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Bobby Short played in the Cafe Carlyle which is across the hall from Bemelman's bar in the hotel. The Cafe was always expensive but has become exceedingly so since Bobby Short's passing. They now generally require you to have dinner there in order to see a show and that costs at least $200/person (dinner and show). Bemelman's bar is still worth a visit and actually much more attractive and cozy imo.