Search

alcatraz

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alcatraz

visiting sf for four days late december with son of 13 years,can you get onto that rock and do a guided tour ? ,is it worth the boat ride?..if so,how can I put that in place before its booked out. Thanks to those who can help me out.rhettski.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:32 AM

Just did a tour of Alcatraz last month. It is a National Park and only on company offers tours and ferry rides. Get tickets online before your trip, they sell out, www.alcatrazcruises.com. We did a tour at 6:10, it was light when we left the dock and got dark during our tour - that made it more interesting. But in December it will be cold on the bay so dress accordingly. The boat ride is only 15 - 20 min so well worth it. When you arrive you get a tape audio system that guides you through the tour and provides cool info. Your son should love it. Be sure to rent all the appropriate movies before you go: The Rock, Birdman of Alcatraz, Escape from Alcatraz!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Definitely worth doing.

Definitely book ahead.

Definitely dress for cold and damp--and seagull poop. I got pooped on and it was the highlight of my kids' day.

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:31 PM

rhettski:

We did the tour in July and very much enjoyed it - be sure and get the audio tour. It is worth the short boat ride.

Sandy
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM

I went a couple of weeks ago, and in addition to booking in advance and dressing in layers (it was both hot and cold on our outing), I'd say to not put a lot of faith in the map (actually a drawing) they sell for a buck, because if you don't follow the exact route they expect, you may miss part of the island due to the road not appearing on the map (it is hidden by the drawing of the mail cell block). The map by the restroom at the top of the hill by the gardens is more reliable. We thought it was worthwhile. We ordered from the outfit linked to the national park service, but I was under the impression that other tours were available (and more expensive).
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
If you happen to be interested in that sort of thing, it's worth the trip. I've lived here all my life, and happily did it once -- with no desire for a second visit.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Hi rhettski, I have done Alcatraz with houseguest from Italy and also with boys your son's age. If your son is like the young fellows I have taken to Alcatraz he will really enjoy his time there. Having done this I have no desire to go back again but I am glad have visited Alcatraz..especially with the young fellows. Good memories!