Breckenridge beginner friendly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 son and college friends are staying in Breckenridge Jan. 7-12. My son has never been skiing and I am nervous. We are from the Chicago area where it is 50 degrees now so he has had no chance to take a lesson here. Someone told me the beginner slopes there are like the hills we have here for experienced people. I have been reading where Breckenridge is probably good for inexperienced skiers. Is this true? Any ski lessons better than the other? - A nervous Mom
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Yes the beginner slopes will look like the expert slopes in the midwest but your son will be just fine. Breck has a lot of beginner terrain and a great ski school. He should take some lessons from an instructor and not just rely on instruction from his buddies.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM

he'll be fine at breck. but i agree insist he take a lesson.
book for him on line before he goes - through www.breckenridge.snow.com - the official ski area web site
(or 2 lessons - 2nd one a day or 2 later) this way you will know the money will not end up as apres-ski funds.
equip rental is cheaper by the week. i'm not sure where the best deals are these days, but a regular poster -cathbert - might.
lessons from his clg buds is a lousy idea. they will become impatient and leave him.... lol.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Though your son will stay in Breck, doesn't mean he has to go to Breck for skiing. In my opinion, Copper and Keystone are more beginner friendly.

However, my brother came to visit us with his college friends couple of years ago. Everyone of them was beginner skier when they arrived. When they left, 4 days later, they all could ski black diamond in Vail. They learn tremedously fast.

Just be careful with the altitude sickness.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:54 AM

I saw your other message about your son and his friends being cash-strapped college guys on a budget. Do him a favor- book and pay for his ski lesson for the first day. If you don't want to worry, don't leave him to his buddies for ski instruction.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Padams gives you excellent advice about booking & paying for a lesson for your son. I watched a guy attempt to give his girlfriend a snowboard lesson last weekend. It was ugly. I watched her barely miss a tree on a relatively easy slope. She had no idea how to stop. Even if he only takes a half day lesson, he will learn how to stop and turn.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good advice. I have already been on the web and will book the lesson before he leaves. Told him it was on Mom!
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Just got back from a day trip to Breck. Plenty of good packed powder on the slopes (including the beginner slopes), and they were getting more snow as we left. Made for some great skiing conditions, BUT the wind drove us off the hill. Breck can always be a terribly windy place, but today it was merciless. Tell your son to dress warm and in layers.

He'll be in more danger on the highways than the slopes though as the wind is blowing snow across the highways (inc. I-70), creating numerous icy spots that appear to come upon you out of nowhere. Saw many cars spun out into snowdrifts, including one that occurred right in front of us here in Denver on I-70 on our way up this morning. Tell your son to use all possible caution. Watch for tail lights ahead and slow down when he sees them. Use lower gears instead of riding his brakes, and turn off both the overdrive and the cruise control.