Search

Daytrip Report - yk in Austin

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2006, 01:50 PM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytrip Report - yk in Austin

Taking advantage of an AA promotion (fare sale and bonus miles), I decided to go on 2 separate day trips from Dallas - one to Austin and one to Kansas City.

I went to Austin on 5/18/06 (Thursday)

DH dropped me off at Love Field (DAL) on his way to work. Air traffic at DAL is much lighter than DFW. We took off on time, and arrived in Austin 15 minutes early.

This worked out well for me, as it gave me enough time to catch the 10am Airport Flyer bus to downtown. I spotted a TI desk at the airport and picked up a map of downtown (with the 'Dillo routes listed).

The bus fare is normally $0.50, but today was an "ozone day," which means all buses are free! A 20-minute ride dropped me off in downtown. I found the Austin Museum of Art without difficulty, and arrived at 10:30am.
http://www.amoa.org

The museum is painfully small (just one floor), and currently shows 2 exhibits. No permanent collection is on view. The 2 exhibits turned out to be very fascinating. I even bought one of the catalogs.

I had some free time before lunch, so I decided to drop by the State Capitol for a tour. It is just a few blocks from the AMOA. I arrived just in time for a free guided tour at 11:30am.

Our tour guide was quite strange. I couldn't tell if she was just hyper or she was on drugs. Nonetheless, I learned a bit about Texas history and we saw the halls for the Senate and House of Representatives.

After the tour, I decided it was time for lunch. I went to Roaring Fork, based on several Fodorites' recommendation. The hostess asked for my last name, even though I didn't have to wait for a table. When the waitress came over, she addressed me as Ms. X. I thought that was a nice touch.

I decided to get a 2-course lunch, mixed greens salad and key lime chicken. The food was delicious, especially the chicken. I don't recall having chicken so tender with so much flavor! My waitress asked if I work nearby, and was quite surprised to find out that I flew in from Dallas for a day trip. On my way out, the hostess said, "Thanks for coming, Ms. X." I was truly impressed.
http://www.roaringforkaustin.com/

Bottom Line: Great Food, Great Service, and Decent Price. Excellent suggestion from fellow Fodorites! Thanks!

I caught the Orange 'Dillo just outside the restaurant and rode to the LBJ Library/Museum. When I entered, I was asked if I had visited it before. It suddenly dawned on me that yes, I have been there before! But I couldn't remember how long ago (10 or 20 years maybe?).

I watched the introductory film, then the exhibits. I didn't find the displays too engaging. Maybe because I was quite tired? I also took the elevator to the 10th floor to see the Oval Office.
http://www.lbjlib.utexas.edu/

Next, I caught the Orange 'Dillo to the Blanton Museum of Art, on the UT Austin Campus. The Blanton recently reopened in a brand new building just 3 weeks ago.

The Blanton houses both Old Masters as well as some contemporary art. It has quite a collection of works by Latin American artists.
http://www.blantonmuseum.org/

I was done by 5pm. With still another hour to kill before it's time to return to the airport, I took the 'Dillo back to downtown and stopped for a cup of coffee. It was then time to take the bus back to the airport. My return trip was uneventful, except for a 40-minute delay for the plane. I finally got back to Dallas at around 8:40pm.

This was a very economical trip. Apart from the ~$100 I paid for the plane ticket, I spent $24 on the AMOA exhibition catalog, and $17 on lunch.

The rest was free:
Airport Bus - usually 50 cents, but free because of "ozone day"
'Dillo shuttle - free
AMOA - $5, but my Dallas Museum of Art membership card got me in for free
State Capitol - free
LBJ Library & Museum - free
Blanton - $5, but free admission Thursdays

Thoughts on Austin
I have visited Austin quite a number of times, but this time I had more interactions with the locals. Every one in Austin is extremely friendly, which is quite a shock to me (I used to live in the NorthEast).
It is also quite visitor-friendly, and it is possible to visit the city without a car. Very unusual for a Texas city.
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:07 PM

Thanks for posting! So glad your trip was a success. And I have to agree with you that people in Austin are great.
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM
yk
Original Poster

The link to my day trip to Kansas City (on the following day) is here:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34808796
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:21 PM
P_M

Hi, yk. I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip. I like the Roaring Fork also, but they didn't call me by name. Maybe this is new.

Just FYI--I worked for 5 years at what's now the Austin Museum of Art. Back in the Stone Age, that was the lobby of First City Bank, where I worked as a teller. I've been back since it became an art museum, but it will always be special to me, since that's where I had my first "real" job.
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:33 PM
trippinkpj

Glad you had fun and enjoyed one of my faves, the Roaring Fork for your lunch.