Where to eat in Rehoboth in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone make a suggestion of a good, unique, locally popular place to eat in Rehoboth in May ... ideally lunch?

Old May 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Grotto's Pizza!! It is a classic at the Delaware shore!!!
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:49 AM

I second Grotto's. It's practically a state landmark. Another place (although Grottos is still my personal favorite) is a place called Nic's Pizza - home of the Nicaboli!
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:40 AM

I'm definitely a Nic-O-boli fan. They are world famous.

Grotto's seems to be everywhere in Rehoboth ,..but there is only one Nicola Pizza http://www.nicolapizza.com/

While deciding what to eat......grab some Thrasher's Fries.
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Grotto's or Nicola's or both, if at all possible.
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Dick, forgot about the Thrasher fries (can you believe that!), you can also grab some awesome carmel popcorn from Dolly's (also saltwater taffy if your so inclined)
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Dolly's may have a great location...but you cant beat Fishers for caramel popcorn.

They sell it so freshly coated with warm caramel..that they tell you to shake (or eat) the popcorn so it wont clump together. http://www.fisherspopcorn-fenwick.com/

Old May 12th, 2006, 10:39 AM
lvk

I asked a similar question about Bethany Beach and got the same answers. Looking forward to trying both Grotto's and Nic's.

Hope you don't mind me tagging along with your thread, but I have another question. Are there any fine dining options in the area?

Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Through the years, my mother has enjoyed the following north Ocean city restaurants- Windows on the Bay, Harpoon Hannah's and Nantucket. I don't know whether any are open any longer, however.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Dick - I'll have to check out Fischers. I'm ashamed to say that even though I grew up in that area, I've never heard of it.

Lvk, usually when we go back it's for an overnighter and we never make it past Grottos or Nics. We're FINALLY going back for a week in June (I'm pumped about this) and have been given some recommendations for more upscale restaurants, but I really can't speak for any of them personally yet.

Don't know when you'll be back that way, but if you're interested, I'll be more than happy to let you know what I find when I get back.

It sounds like there are folks here though that really know the place and will have an answer to your question. I'm anxious to see what they say to see if they recommend any of the places I've been told about.
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:13 PM

I know it's not in Rehoboth, but in nearby Dewey Beach, but what about the Rusty Rudder? It's got a great seafood buffet.
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:21 PM

1st I would 2nd Waldo's recommendation. They have a nice patio to eat on where you can over look Rehoboth Bay and there is a Calpyso band for dinner. Its in Dewey Beach not too far after a bridge.

2nd place is in Lewes DE. I stayed at the Lighthouse Inn (the restaurant was right next to it) which is right before you go over the small bridge on your right. They have good meals and the most delicious lemonade I've ever tasted in my life.

3rd would be Grotto's Pizza on Rehoboth Avenue but for BREAKFAST. I was leery because its a pizza joint and what kind of breakfast could they possibly have? Well I was very impressed with the selection and how good the food was.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:48 PM
lvk

Okay, I know it's not May, but I'm just back from the Delaware shore (loved it, btw!) and just wanted to follow-up with some restaurant info for anyone researching the area in the future.

Nicola's - tried the famous Nico-boli. It was good, but I preferred the Spin-oli (or was it Spino-boli). Anyhow, it contained spinach and lots of garlic, rather than ground beef.

In Rehoboth - "Dish" on Baltimore Ave. Bills itself as a retro-dining gallery (www.dishrehoboth.com) This was my favorite of all. Fun atmosphere, interesting menu. Everything was fresh and delicious. Only open for dinner.

Stopped at Rusty Rudder for cocktails and live music on the patio. Fun place, but I felt like I do when I wander into downtown Hermosa Beach after dark. Lots of 20-somethings, bachelor and bachelorette parties, etc.

Harpoon Hannah's is still there. Classic, old-time fish house restaurant. Since I was so close to the Maryland border, I had to try the crabcakes, which I enjoyed.

Mango's on Bethany Beach (formerly Mango Mikes) Right on the Boardwalk, Great view, mediocre food, fun drinks. Very colorful and family-friendly space.

Fat Tuna Grill - in Ocean View (?) Nice, new seafood restaurant.

I had Grotto's Pizza while shopping in the factory outlet complex on a rainy day. There seems to be a Grotto's on every block. Good crust.

Never did get to try Thrasher's or Dolly's.

My friend, who has a vacation home in Bethany, also suggested the following places. I cannot personally vouch for them, but she has pretty good taste .

Big Fish Grill, right on the highway in Rehoboth.
Magnolia in Ocean View
Parkway Grille - fine dining in downtown Bethany Beach.
Mickies - clam shack in Bethany. She is a native New Englander, and claims that this comes closest to the NE clamshacks of our youth.

I really enjoyed the area and hope to return one day. It seems to be a great place for a family vacation.

Chasechow, I'd love to hear of your experiences when you return.

Have a great trip.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Thanks a lot for this LVK. We leave one week from today and I have to say that I'm as excited about this trip as I've been when we've gone to Hawaii or somewhere in the Carribean.

Not sure if it is because of the whole nostalgia thing (haven't gotten to go back for more than a night or two since I was a teenager), or if it's because it's going to be a week with hubby, daughter, SIL and grandbaby, but we are all really psyched.

We will definitely check out the places you've mentioned. I'll write when we get back.