luau in Kaui

Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
luau in Kaui

can anyone recommend a good luau in Kaui?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM

So many to choose from on our island now...here are just a few suggestions:

If you want outdoors and very "local", Smith's Tropical Gardens in Wailua (along the river).

If you want small, outdoors with killer views, Princeville Hotel (north shore).

If you want big with glitzy tourist style, Courtyard by Marriott (Kapa`a)

Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:55 PM

And as I often tell folks who are heading to the islands, for a "real" lu`au -- the ones being held for island residents -- check the local newspaper for lu`au celebrations offered by canoe clubs, churches, schools, etc.

For example, here on Kaua`i, there's a great annual lu`au happening this Saturday (May 6) at Lydgate Park, for one of our local churches. The food is excellent, the entertainment is real, and the cost? Just $15 per person for the all-day event. Tickets available at the gate.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:41 PM

Having spent many vacations in Kauai, I would have to say Smiths is my overall fav luau. They do the pig in the ground thing, are friendly, food is good and then have a really good show in an outdoor theatre that is very entertaining. Also, a lovely grounds to explore.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 12:38 PM

The luau at Smiths Tropical Paradise was one of the highlights of our 2005 trip to Kauai. They take you on a trolley ride around the beautiful grounds before the dinner. The food was excellent also. The only problem was that my tummy hurt during the after dinner show because I ate too much. My fault!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 02:20 PM

auntiemaria's advice is good. years ago we had the good fortune to be invited to a local church luau on Oahu. that was the best experience we've ever had (and we've also been to a number of commercial luaus on the various other islands).
The locals kinda laugh at the commercial ones as they are designed to be what they think tourists want not what is a genuine experience.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Where are you staying? We stay in Poipu at the Hyatt, so we saw their Luau on the large grass lawn. It was really nice in a tropical setting. They set up a stage with the ocean and sunset in the background.

I wouldn't drive from Princeville to see it if you were staying on the north shore, but if in the South, it is a good choice so you wouldn't have to drink and drive.