yk's brief Manhattan-in-JulyTrip Report

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 10:16 AM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yk's brief Manhattan-in-JulyTrip Report

My boyfriend (BF) & I went to Manhattan for 5 days at the end of July. We have both been to NYC many times before, and this was more of a trip to visit friends and revisit museums.

We cashed in 50,000 miles on CO for our non-stop flights from DFW to EWR. We had to pay a $5 fee per ticket. We stayed at my friends' apartment in East midtown Manhattan. The trip was rather economical.

Day 1
We flew into EWR. On the CO flight, I saw a $5-off coupon for Coach USA for trips to/from Manhattan and EWR.
The regular 1-way price is $13, regular r/t price is $22. With the coupon, we got the r/t fare for just $17pp.
The trip to Grand Central took a whole hour because of the traffic. We walked to my friends' apartment, dropped off our luggage, and headed to the Guggenheim Museum.

We got into the Guggenheim for 1/2 price. Back in July, it had a 2-for-1 promotion if one presents a Metrocard upon buying admission tickets. We joined the 3pm, 1-hr docent-led highlights tour, and left Guggenheim around 5pm.

That evening, we met up with a friend for dinner at Le Colonial, a French-Vietnamese restaurant. Food was excellent.

Day 2
We spent the entire day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We arrived just in time for the 10:15am highlights tour. There were a few more guided tours we had planned to take (listed on its website), only to realize the tours are not available during the summer months of July and August.

We had a leisurely but expensive lunch at Petrie Court Cafe (inside the museum) after the tour. We lingered at the museum until closing time at 5:30pm.

We walked along Madison Avenue for a while, before heading back to my friends' apartment. That evening, we went out to dinner at Typhoon, a Japanese tapas restaurant in East Village. It was rather cheap and food was also good. We then walked over to Veniero's for dessert.

Day 3
BF's mom decided to join us for the day. She took a train down from CT and we met up with her at Grand Central. We then walked all the way up to Frick Collection.

Frick was by far my favorite museum on this trip. It was relatively uncrowded. Audioguide is included in the admission. We spent 2 hours there.

We grabbed a quick bite at a deli nearby, then walked back to Grand Central to see BF's mom off.

Next, we headed to MoMA. It was Friday, and admission is free after 4pm. However, we were able to get free tickets and got in around 3:40pm before the crowd rushed in.

We met up with fellow fodorite, 111op, 2 hours later inside MoMA. We left the museum at 8pm.

We had dinner with 111op at Salt. The food wasn't as good as he recalled. This was BF's first meeting with 111op, and BF was finally convinced that not all fodorites are axe-murderers.

Day 4
We slept in, got up just in time for lunch. We ate at Soba-ya in East Village, then walked to a Street Fair near NYU. We continued westward to the Meatpacking District. I didn't think much has changed in the Meatpacking District since my last visit 4 years ago.

That evening, we met up with 4 other friends for dinner at Nyonya, a Malaysian restaurant in Chinatown. The food was just okay.

Day 5
We got up early in order to have breakfast with yet another 2 friends. They had previously suggested a local diner near their apartment, but because we had to take the coach from Grand Central back to EWR, we ended up eating at Pershing Square, located right across from Grand Central. I was surprised how crowded it was for a Sunday morning.

After breakfast, we boarded the coach back to EWR. Being a Sunday with no traffic, the return trip took only 35 minutes.

That's pretty much it. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I just discovered this trip report and really enjoyed reading it - especially the musuems comments. Thanks for the trip report!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 04:03 PM

How did I miss this? I love reading NYC trip reports and I never saw this one. Nice report, sounds like you really had an enjoyable time!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:39 AM
yk
Original Poster

Thanks. I think I originally posted this on a Sunday when traffic is light here. By Monday morning, it probably sank all the way to the bottom already.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM

topping
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:01 AM

I just saw this:

"This was BF's first meeting with 111op, and BF was finally convinced that not all fodorites are axe-murderers."

Well, the BF is now DH. Now you can tell me what he really thinks.

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:07 AM
GoTravel

This is a great little report!

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 03:01 PM
yk
Original Poster

111op-
He actually thinks that you are way more interesting than my other friends (from school and from training). Probably because when we met with my old friends, we just yapped about work, other mutual folks we know, babies etc. With you, he actually could participate in a rather intellectual discussion.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:54 AM

Wow.

Someone actually thinks I'm "way more interesting."

Blush.

Tell him I say hello.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:55 AM

By the way, in case people are wondering, we were not discussing Schopenhauer.