Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A moose, 2 deer and a fox...Oh My! Tiff's Mini North Shores of Lake Superior getaway

Search

A moose, 2 deer and a fox...Oh My! Tiff's Mini North Shores of Lake Superior getaway

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...And the moose and the 2 deer were all in the first two hours, lol.

Mini four day weekend getaway for my DH and I - promised I would post upon return.

STATS:
~Destination: North Shores of Lake Superior (Grand Marais, Lutsen and Tofte, Minnesota)

~Accommodations: rented a log home through vrbo.com (http://www.vrbo.com/39774)

~Travelers: DH, myself and our little pup Sophie

~Restaurants: You always eat well on the Shore!

In Grand Marais: The Angry Trout Café (thank you cmcfong!) was so completely delicious, I did NOT want to leave. My DH had the Grilled Herring and it was to die for. The Trout Chowder a delight. I had the Alaskan Cod, which of course was not local, but it was the BEST I have ever had. The salads and the spinach fettuccini, too wonderful. The atmosphere is casual & relaxed, you may dine inside or out, both overlook the harbor. Their specialty is Lake Superior fish caught by local commercial fishermen. The owners are environmentalists and it is their intent to ‘practice what they preach’ in everything from the first ingredient to the table you sit at. It was wonderful and I highly recommend it. Only caveat: This little gem is only open from mid-May to mid-October

A hearty morning breakfast and great service from Jerry at the Blue Water Café (also in Grand Marais) was fantastic. The pancakes and syrup were superb. My DH’s Eggs Benedict great. Again the service from Jerry was a treat, what a delightful gentleman.

In Tofte: The Coho Café, Bakery & Deli – Award winning pizza, and we now know why. Yum. So completely yummy.

In Lutsen: at the Mountain View Lodge, Tracks, will provide great service and a hearty meal. Everything from burgers to steaks, and everything was very good. Comfort food.

So funny how simple pleasures such as pancakes and pizza could be so pleasing! Simple foods done very well. I think the thing that impresses us most is that businesses like Coho and the Angry Trout try their best to support local vendors. It shows, the ingredients are so fresh and the taste so distinct, I wish more restaurants followed this practice.

We have been to the North Shores of Lake Superior several times before and always fall in love with it all over again.

The trip began with gridlock traffic out of the cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul. It was the expected holiday traffic, so whatever heather, right?!? We're together, we're heading out of town, so be it!

We decided this time to bring our 15 month old mini schnoodle (half mini schnauzer, half mini poodle) with us this time and are SO glad we did. The North Shore area is very dog friendly. We saw so many people with pets. It is funny that the previous times we really didn't notice all the pets, probably because we weren't pet owners ourselves at the time, so we kind of thought we were taking a chance bringing her with us this time. All worked out well, and we were happy with our decision.

The accommodations had many good and a couple bad points. The good first, the view was outstanding. Sitting upon a 40 cliff, all of Lake Superior and her glory. Lovely, beautiful, peaceful, private and very relaxing. A little creek flowing on the property into Lake Superior. Large, massive sunning rocks that you can walk down to from above to sit and enjoy a closer look. Bed comfortable, linens very clean. The woodwork quite lovely. Heating system worked quite well and warm us up fast (yes, we did have to have the heat on, lol). Two bedrooms, one quite large that couple have slept a family with it’s large pine bunk beds, second bed and sofa. Additional room that we slept in; comfortable and cozy. Front porch that had sleeping area for maybe two more people, but no heat in that area of the home.
Bad points, and really I can only think of a couple… This to me was a cabin, not a home. It was very, very rustic. Cob webs here and there. D-con under the sink. Little evidence that creatures both small and a little larger had been ‘guests’ as well, lol. In their “welcome book” they spoke of the mice issue and that is was the “way of the shore” so to expect it, but we have never encountered this on previous visits. It was our feeling that they were a titch overpriced. It was to me “camping indoors”. And it was very nice, mind you, but it was camping indoors. I thought it to be in the more $150 range rather than the $250-$300 range. And we have been lucky enough to stay in everything from small and tasteful to quite extravagant and spendy so I feel I have a pretty good frame of reference on which to base my opinion. Everything on the website said, updated, updated, updated. I think perhaps “rustic” should have been used more, lol.
The only other thing was the electrical. It really worried my husband and he is not a worrier. Like for example: one outlet with many extension cords running all about everywhere. Cords hanging on the outside of the cabin, loosely dangling in the wind and rain. There was some cause for concern.

Would we stay there again, probably not. But again, we did have a nice time there and the view was gorgeous. I think if you are a large family or a couple families together and you don’t mind “rustic” then it would be a good fit.

Sights not to be missed:
The Cascade River (this was out first time to this one and it has to be now one of our favorites).

The Temperance River (as always breaktakingly beautiful)

(Gooseberry Falls & the Split Rock Lighthouse are two of our favorites, so I will mention them, though we took in other sights this time.)

Grand Marais: lovely, little, harborside town. Great food, great people. The Gun Flint Tavern, I will also mention from our previous visits, great food, although this time we just stopped by for a beverage. The Drury Lane Bookstore, quaint, darling, a must for any book lover, such as I.

The North Shore continues to be an area in which to be taken away. The thunderous power of the rivers flowing into Lake Superior, the gorges, the cliffs, the precious wildlife (as long as it's not in your cabin, lol). The great people. The great food. It really is a wonder, and we love it there.

That’s all for now – thanks for reading!

Happy journey, Tiff
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Oh doggone it all, Tiff...now you made me want to go right straight back and try all the things we missed. Beautiful place and a great report!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Tiff, did you see the otter family at the Angry Trout? The male kept us entertained throughout our meal then swam over to the dock to demand a snack as we were leaving.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cmcfong,

I can't thank you enough for the restaurant rec of Angry Trout. We LOVED it there. I may have led you in right direction with regards to State Parks etc. but that restaurant recommendation was far beyond any tips I gave you! Well done!

The otters... alas we did not see them, in fact before we were seated, we wandered down the dock to look at this wonderful wooden sailboat, and I remembered your report and about the otters. I told my husband of your report, and we looked for them, but did not see them.

Perhaps they were on a little Fourth of July getaway themselves...

Thanks again, Tiff
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 10:21 AM

You are quite welcome. One good turn deserves another. We loved every minute of our trip and thanked you and the other two generous Fodorites who gave us such great information every step of the way. We will go back (and I most certainly will have the wild salmon at the Angry Trout again!!!).
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:46 PM

ttt for the Blue Fin Bay traveler
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Tiff! That's an area I'd definitely like to check out.

Thanks for a great report!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:03 PM

I just noticed that this is an old thread! Still sounds like a wonderful area though!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM

She is headed back up there soon, so maybe she will post an update for us, CAPH.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM
P_M

Hey, Tiff that sounds like a very nice trip. I've never been to that part of the country, maybe next year my escape from the TX heat will be to the North Shores. Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:16 PM
P_M

Another comment: you mentioned how pizza and pancakes can be so pleasing. I couldn't agree more. Some of my best travel memories revolve around good meals. I still remember 15 years ago when DH and I went on a whim for a weekend in Memphis. We asked the hotel owner where to get good Italian food. They recommended a place called Giransanti's. When we got there, I had swordfish and DH had prime rib. Kinda funny, considering we went there specifically for Italian food. Whenever we think of that Memphis trip, the first thing we think of is that great food.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:11 PM

I hope so, cmcfong!

And I agree about the food, P_M! Sadly for my waistline, most of my best memories revolve around food!
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

Yes, you are correct, this was a long weekend last year. However, we usually go up at least once a year, our next visit is in September, so I will add to this thread if anything new pops up!

If you are ever in the area, please do make the stop, it is SUCH a lovely place. One of my favorites things is that this is nature that is really within a stone's throw, meaning, even those that have a hard time getting around can see the beauty as most of these stops (The Cascade River and the Temperance River especially) are right off the main Highway. You don't have to hike many miles to see the beauty. You CAN hike further, but it is not a requirement.

P_M ~ You would love it there, we even look forward to donning the jeans and sweatshirts when we go. I thought I would miss the ocean forever until I saw Lake Superior. Same feeling, it is lovely. Please let me know if you ever have any specific questions, I would be happy to help!!!!

CAPH ~ Same for you sweetie, I would love to answer anything if you ever plan a visit!

Hi cmcfong ~ I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to the Shore. One of the reasons why I love this forum, is that DH and I have been there several times before but had never heard of The Angry Trout until YOU!!!!!! We needed that sweet North Carolina visitor to lead the way, LOL. Thank you again so much. We now (literally) plan our visits around the Trout. (They are only open mid-May to mid-October).

LOVE the food up there, maybe it is the great outdoors that makes everything taste so good!

Thanks again all, glad you liked the mini-report.
Tiff
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Thank you for a good report that has me wanting to visit your area! We haven't been there yet, but it sounds lovely. And anywhere with good eats always gets my vote. Thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

p.s. (I do tend to ALWAYS have a post script, don't I????)

I would like to include these websites we have used, in case anyone such as BlueFinBayTraveler, would like to do further research. These sites are great:

http://www.lakesuperiordrive.com/

http://www.northshorevisitor.com/

http://www.northshoreinfo.com/
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:00 PM

Wow! I am so glad someone 'popped' this thread up to the top. I am trying to plan a long weekend in October to North Shore for my hubby and 2 boys. Anyone recommend any great books on the area? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Great report.
(Thanks for topping too)
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Buffy9297 & wanderluster!

We are going back up in a couple weeks for another visit, we 'try' to make it there once a year, so hopefully I will have some new info to add.

We stay somewhere different each time, so I will have a new review on accommodations shortly!

See you soon.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:17 PM

We just got back from 3 weeks on the North Shore and the weather was fabulous. Not one day of rain and no bugs!! Amazing. Even out in the woods we didn't have any mosquitos. Locals are all amazed there were no mosquitos this summer. Maybe too dry and too warm. We saw a couple moose while up the Gunflint Trail and lots of deer. Everything is always so beautiful. Lots going on in Grand Marais with the Fisherman's Picnic on while we were there. We ate at all the restaurants in the Grand Marais area and up and down the shore and our very best meals were at Naniboujou about 15 miles north of Grand Marais on Lake Superior and at "The Landing" at Devils Track Lake. All other meals were good too but both my husband and I thought these two were outstanding. All in all a great trip.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cali ~

<We ate at all the restaurants in the Grand Marais area>
Did you eat at The Angry Trout?
Did cha? Did cha? Did cha?
Oh I hope you did.

I am so glad you had very few bugs. You are most definitely right! This year has been a great year, due to the lack of rain.

I always feel guilty when I think that because of the farmers. It was a good year for all of us but SUCH a bad year for our farming communities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -