Casual Dining in Kauai

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casual Dining in Kauai

We're staying in a condo near Poipu Beach, and are not serious gourmets. Any recommendations for simple lunches and dinners on the island? I definitely want to try a puka dog (where do I find them?), and a plate lunch (your choices?). Where else should we go--it's next month. Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Keoki's Paradise is always a fun casual place for dinner in Poipu. It is surrounded by tropical decor/water and has indoor/outdoor seating. Usually you can find a coupon for a free Hula Pie in the local advertisements.

http://www.keokisparadise.com/
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 11:56 AM

We have no restaurants with dress codes anywhere here on Kaua`i -- it's casual everywhere. But if you're heading to one of the restaurants at either the Princeville or Hyatt Hotels, you might want to don "resort wear" (dress or long pants for the lady; dress slacks or dress shorts with collared shirt for the gentleman). Last time we dined at Princeville's La Cascata, they allowed a guy in shorts and tank top to be seated...guess his money was green enough for them!

We like Keoki's, too ...and you must try Hamura Saimin (our island treasure!) in Lihu`e (open for lunch & dinner). Also Olympic Cafe (upstairs, in Kapa`a). For plate lunch? Pono Market (Kapa`a), the fish market across the street from Wal-Mart, the plate lunch place in the "Puhi Shopping Center" (small building across the street from Kaua`i Community College). Oh, and since you'll be in Po`ipu, try the plate lunch stand in the parking lot of Sueoka Store in Koloa town.

Puka Dogs is in the Po`ipu Village Shopping Center.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:11 PM
iceeu2

Where is Olympic Cafe? Upstairs where?

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Yes, upstairs where?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Joe's on the Green is a nice, casual spot. It's at the Kiahuna Golf Course. We ate breakfast there a few times and had dinner there twice last summer. You can eat outdoors on the patio overlooking the golf course.
-Bill
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Puka Dog is in the Poipu shopping village. There is another casual dining place there also and for the life of me can't think of the name. It is right near Puka Dog. Kieoki's is great (gotta have the Hula Pie) (same shopping village. There is also Tom Kats in Koloa and a Pizza place right there also. We have ate at Tidepools and Never really dressed up. Tidepools has the best onion soup! Don't forget to try the Lava Flow drink - it is addicting!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:28 PM

iceeu2 & moondoggie:

Olympic Cafe is in Kapa`a. Makai side of the road, in the green Hee Fat building (above Kela's Glass and some other shops). Good for breakfast, lunch or dinner -- look out toward the ocean, or people-watch out over the road. Very reasonably priced, good variety of food, good service, ample portions, and _very_ casual and family-friendly.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:26 PM

Yeah, Just got back from 4 weeks on Kauai and enjoyed Olpmpic Cafe 3 times. Great wraps. I loved the chicken curry wrap, and the chicken basil wrap. Yum. Also enjoyed Aromas Cafe in Nawliwli across the street from JJ's Broiler, upstairs. Great lunch place. Did not try it for dinner, but menu looked great. Had a great dinner at Joe's at Kiahuna Golf Club our last evening. One of the best meals I had all month, honestly. Was disappointed with Brennecke's. Prices have risen alot and not any improvement in the food really. Some entries were as high as $30, high for such a casual eating place imho. Enjoyed brick Oven Pizza, always has been one of my favorites.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:04 AM

I second Brick Oven Pizza! We had dinner there twice. By then, we had had quite enough of "fine dining"...
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:29 PM

You might want to check out Poipu Beach Broiler, select drinks and pupu's are half price during happy hour. Friendly crowd. I have not eaten at a table, but the pupu's are very good.

There's a good fish market in Old Koloa that has an excellent plate lunch take out. You can pick some Lamberts Ice cream while in town, or sit down at Tomkats for casual dining.

Eric
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM

I've only been to Kauai once but will be going back more often b/c we have a timeshare there now. But when we were there, at the Marriott Kauai, the resort closer to the airport away from Poipu, there's a hole in the wall Bar and Grill in the back of the Marriott property towards an abandoned shopping center. We only knew it was there b/c we walked back there on a morning walk. Apparently it attracts a busy nightlife. But the view is AMAZING! YOu can sit right over the golf course, with the Ocean right in front of you and the planes landing to your left. It's very casual and you can go early and enjoy the sunset. Have fun!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:50 PM

TexasAggie,
Do you remember the name of that place?
-Bill
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Bill,
I THINK it's Whaler's Pub. As you drive onto the Marriott Property, those signs that tell you which direction to turn (Parking,hotel, beach, etc), have that restaurant's name on them. I'm sure the Marriott there could tell you. THeir # is:
1-800-220-2925 Sorry I can't remember for sure! It's a neat place!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:57 AM

I drove up to the Whalers Pub in February and it looks to me like it is closed. There are empty shopping center/stores there also and I didn't see any parked cars anywhere. Maybe auntiemarie can tell us the status of Whaler's Pub. I sure wasn't impressed with what I could see from the car. Great location though, right on the bluff. Too bad if it is not open anymore.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM

According to the voice mail I just got when I called Whaler's Brew Pub -- "open from 11a.m. to 9p.m. daily".

That whole area is so desolate now -- empty shops (being renovated), and untended landscaping. Doubt that they get much business at the pub, but the views are divine!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Thanks Auntie -- You're the best. I love brew pubs. I've got a special bottle of Cab to share with you. I'll pay for the corkage.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM

Wow, I had no idea that Whaler's Brew Pub had re-opened - that whole area is in flux right now with the shut-down or slow down of the St. Regis luxury buildings.

I also highly recommend Hamura's Saimin on Kress St. in Lihu'e, Dani's on Rice St. in Lihu'e, Tip Top Cafe on Akahi Street in Lihu'e and Mark's Place in Puhi -- all would be what I consider "cheap eats" and local as well.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 07:59 PM

This post is 4 years old and I think Whaler's Brew Pub is indeed closed.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM

This older post has reminded me I've been missing Auntie Maria's great Kauai advice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -