Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Really nice boutique-type hotel in Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could really use some help in deciding where to stay for a return trip to Maui. (Already stayed at Four Seasons for honeymoon). We were thinking of staying at the Grand Wailea, Hyatt, Sheraton or Maui Prince, but they all seem to be a little too family-friendly and we are leaving our kids at home! If I remember correctly, the Grand Wailea seemed really nice, but kinda like a circus. Are there any really nice boutique-type hotels in the area? Any suggestions at all? Thanks so much!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 09:30 PM

I don't think they have that style. They may have a B&B in Lahaina.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 09:52 PM

Get a searanch cottage at Hotel Hana Maui...exquisitely romantic with your own private jacuzzi on your own private deck! There weren't any kids running around when we were there, though I can't promise you there wont' be any, you never know. There's a lot of privacy at the searanch cottages...we even had the beautiful infinity pool all to ourselves.

We loved the Maui Prince hotel just south of Wailea. I saw a lot more kids in Kaanapali when we were there for a day-trip than I saw at the Maui Prince actually. I think families usually prefer hotels with bigger pools, and the Maui Prince has a smallish pool (mid-size).

Maui Prince isn't a let's run around and be wild kind of place. It's for people who like a little more seclusion, and from what we saw they expect their kids to behave and not spoil the peace and quiet.

I have nothing against kids having fun, and that's Kaanapali for you...lots of kids of all ages running about and making noise. Depends on what you like.

We enjoyed raising 3 kids and wouldn't have felt comfortable with kids at the Hotel Hana Maui, for example.

You know kids will behave as well or as badly as you expect them to...I took my 2 young teenage daughters to the Ritz in San Francisco for a girls weekend away and told them they had to behave well because these people were paying a lot for their peace and quiet! They were on their best manners all weekend. In fact we tiptoed past a tea room in the Ritz which intimidated us because everyone in it was behaving with impeccable manners, including a little girl who was only about 7 years old! We were impressed!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:37 AM
jgg

I agree with Melissa about Hana if you are really looking for a smaller/quieter boutique hotel. Grand Wailea is great - but not for what you are looking for. It is VERY large and lots of families. Since you have already been to the Four Seasons in Wailea, consider The Ritz Carlton in Kapalua.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How about the Plantation Inn in Lahaina? It is technically a B&B, but may fit the bill for you.

http://www.theplantationinn.com/index.html
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Kapalua Bay Hotel is very couples oriented--very few kids.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Look on Tripadvisor. Of course, they list 100's of hotels, but also 54 b&b's and 22 "other accomodations."
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 02:59 PM

gyppielou has recomended this place in past posts on this subject.
http://www.alohapualani.com/
-Bill
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 04:38 AM
rex

Okay, so, now here's a puzzle... seeking one room for two mights - - Dec 31-Jan 2 - - everything is very picked over, or very premium-priced or both.

And yet, the Aloha Pualani has 5 out of six rooms available, as far as I can tell. Went in and locked in the honeymoon suite (admittedly, not "bargain-priced"), thinking that there would be some catch (as in "not actually available") - - indeed, an instant confirmation came in my e-mail. And as far as I can tell, no penalty to cancel if more than 30 days out.

Some reason that thi has such availability - - that I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance... nd...

Best wishes,

Rex
("from the Europe forum")
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 07:15 AM
rex

topping...
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 07:35 AM

Rex -

According to the Maui Revealed website (associated with the "Maui Reviewed" travel book - often referred to as the "Blue Bible" by frequent visitors to Maui), the Aloha Pualani is rated as "A Real Gem" - their highest rating. Interestingly enough however it appears to me that the hotel is located along a beach area that they've marked as a bit less than desireable due to excessive seaweed and algae. Admittedly, it looks like the hotel is near the extreme northern end of this area - so maybe it's not that much of a problem there. I can't see them rating it so highly if the beach there is not that good.

Ken

PS - gyppielou's advice is usually pretty good.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 08:22 AM
rex

Yes, I had actually read those remarks on the wizardpub.com website - - and that, coupled with the phenomenally good reviews on tripadvisor were factors in my deciding to take the plunge.

It seems like it might be right near the Nona Lani cottages (also high marks from Maui Revealed - - and no comments about seaweed or smell there either); my daughter her husband an inlaws styayed there this past April, and I think that they though the beach is fine there. The Kihei Canoe Club operates right in that same vicinty; I suppose that doesn't necessarily address one way or the other whether the waterfront is good there or not (but I might think it would be a negative for members and visitors alike if they were in an unpleasant stretch of the beach).

In any event, with our stay only a bit over 36 hours, I don't have much reason to be concerned that we will DISlike the AP - - just can't quite get over - - why are they totally UNbooked for such a popular period?
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Rex -

Maybe because over those particular days most people are looking for a larger resort with more of "party" atmosphere?

Just a guess

Ken
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 10:18 AM

For some reason, I don't see the Aloha Pualani on the wizardpub aerial views. However, if it is near Menehune Shores condos, I can attest to the seaweed problem. I stayed at Menehune Shores last December and the beach there was quite yucky. Lots of seaweed. Someone uses a tractor to scrape it off the beach and pile it up on the shore, where it just sits in big stinky piles.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 10:32 AM

The Renaissance Wailea has a separate and more exclusive beach front annex called the Mokapu Beach Club. It has a private pool and with concierge and wait service. My husband and I stayed there for our honeymoon in 2003 and LOVED IT. We still had access to all the amenities of the larger hotel property (which is quite lovely) but we had much more privacy and peace. We recommend the ground level rooms this way you can step right out of your room to the pool or beach.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Pdxgirl -

Actually, it's there. I think you just missed it. Ninth accomodation down under "North Kihei". When you click on the link it brings up the aerial shot.

Ken
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:35 AM
rex

<<Ninth accomodation down under "North Kihei".>>

Correct. Menehine Shores is 17th down. Hopefully this means that they are not that close to each other.

Maybe I'm a cheapskate, but at $295 (I haven't take a comparison look to se what lower rates might be available for a less "peak" time of year) - - the Aloha Pualani is already rich enough for my blood. From the marriott website, I can't tell if rooms are available in the separate Mokapu "hotel within a hotel" - - but a Leisure rate for an ocean view on the website is said to be available at $400 per night.

Maui Revealed says:

"Rates are $430-$535, Mokapu rooms are $705, suites are $1,050- $4,000."

It wouldn't surprise me if you paid less, through some package, or at some less peak time of year... but for New Year's weekend - - even if they were available, I don't see it as a "value-competitive" choice to the Aloha Pualani's honeymoon suite.

Of course, value is always in the eye of the beholder.

And it remains for me to see if we think the AP is offering something worthy of their rates. No doubt the Renaissance Wailea offes a very good product, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Mokapu is even more "worthy" - - buy maybe not THAT worthy, not from my wallet, not at this time of year.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 02:07 PM
rex

Is there reason to be suspicious of the glowing and frequent recommendations from gyppielou?

See http://www.virtualtourist.com/hotels/
North_America/United_States_of_America/
Hawaii_State_of/Maui/Kihei-772479/
Hotels_and_Accommodations-Kihei-Aloha_Pualani-BR-1.html

(note: this URL is broken into four "lines" to avoid line wrap problems here - - needs to be "put back together").

The reviews on tripadvisor read a little too good to me.

The aerial photo seems to match what this comment on virtual tourist says.

Is there a BBB for Maui?
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Well...

Lets see here:

You have

1) 7 glowing reviews on TripAdvisor

2) A "GEM" rating in Maui Revealed

3) 1 Terrible review on Virtual Tourist

And somehow this leads you to suspect the "glowing and frequent recommendations from gyppielou?" - who as near as I can tell, is not even one of the people who posted a formal review of the hotel on TripAdvisor (the ones you think are "a little too good".

What the heck causes you to be suspecious?

Never mind. I don't even want to know.
Suit yourself. The reviews are out there, you can choose to believe them - or not - but if you are not going to ever believe anything you read, then why even bother reading.

Makes no difference to me. Book whereever you'd like - or not.

Good Luck!
Ken

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 02:44 PM
rex

In my first posting, I stated the chief reason I was curious/concerned - - they seem to have no bookings for this very, very peak season.

And for a "gem" there seem to be no other reviews here on Fodors, other than gyppielou.

Any one other person familiar with this property would make a difference to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -