Oahu, Hawaii March 2005 looking for unique experiences this time around

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We will be staying at the Sheraton Moana Surfrider Hotel for 7 nights this March, 2005. This includes my husband, me, our 2 boys, 17 and 15, and our daughter 14. This will be our 3rd trip to Oahu in as many years. We've always enjoyed it, my husband is content to sit on the beach all day while I've taken the kids to Sandy Beach, Hanama Bay, the blowhole, the North Shore, Cockroach Cove, and to Pearl Harbor. They love surf, and they love Sandy Beach...but we keep doing the SAME THINGS all the time, and this year, I told them I'd try to find different things for us to do that would be fun. I've read the other postings, and have taken notes. I am curious about Turtle Beach, where's that? And what about these lagoons - Ko'Olina and Waimanalo, what are those like? What is Tantalus Drive? Lani Kai beach? Never been there. I was thinking of booking ahead for some kind of guided excursion they might like. What do you think of Diamond Head? We've never climbed it, thinking it would be too hot, but is that something I should consider? The kids are easygoing and love to explore. They're open minded. We love nature, love animals, that's why Turtle Beach is something I know we'd all love. I've never been to the zoo, is it good? (I'd rather see animals uncaged, but some zoos are better than others). So, if anyone has any different ideas for us, something to make this vacation more interesting this time around, I'd be happy to read your comments. Thanks so much! (I'll head out and buy "Oahu Revealed" as soon as I can, too. I'm sure that will help...and is the best Thai restaurant Keo's? My husband would love that)! Thanks again! (oh, if we could really swim with Dolphins!)
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Two things I'd recommend:
Visiting the heiaus (temple) in either Kailua near the YMCA or the North Shore above Waimea Bay. Any guidebook should have more specific directions.

The other is stopping at the Byodo In Buddhist temple near Kaneohe. Very picturesque.

My personal favorite beach on Oahu is Makapu'u, which is across the street from Sea Life Park.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:49 PM

Hi, teadrinker. Oh, how I loved staying at the Moana a couple of years ago! Now we stay in Ko'Olina on the west side because we love the lagoons.

We love Oahu, and have friends who live there part time (husband grew up there). They typed out a driving itinerary for us (leaving from the Ko'Olina area, but I'm sure you could pick it up from Waikiki). Since it's probably not best to list one's email ona public forum, I'm pasting it below. It includes Turtle Beeach. Hopefully I won't run out of space. We do this trip every time we're on Oahu, and it's a really fun day. Have a great time!

JERRY & SHARON'S TRIP AROUND OAHU

We started doing this trip, about ten years ago, every time we visited Oahu. Even if we are only there for a couple of days we make time for this trip. Over the years we’ve added new stops and taken off stops. This is our current route.

From KoOlina take H1 towards Honolulu to the H3 Freeway towards Kaneohe. Take the Kamehameha Highway (Kam Highway) exit towards Kaneohe (east). We will be on Kam Highway for the rest of the trip. Drive through and past Kaneohe’s downtown area to a pier located on the right, Heeia Kea Boat Harbor. It’s a great place for a large soda and a tuna sandwich. Share the sandwich or only eat half because the next stop is just down the road.

Take a right back on the road and continue along with the ocean on your right. The road comes to a stop sign and you need to take a right to stay on Kam Highway. Our next stop is Tropical T’s, the old poi factory on the left. They are open every day but Thursday. They have very authentic Hawaiian food. Jerry’s favorite is the chocolate haupia and Sharon’s is the kalua pig and rice. Try anything on the menu; it’s ono loa (very delicious).

Back on the road to a little market that has been around for over 100 years, Waikane store (on the right). This is Jerry’s must stop. It may sound weird but Jerry can’t live without this stuff…hot dog sushi (no it’s not raw). It’s just a hot dog wrapped in rice and seaweed with a bit of mustard.

Down the road from the Waikane store is the Macadamia nut factory located on the right. Here we sample coffee and flavored mac nuts. Jerry likes the old nutcracker and uses it to open raw mac nuts, which he likes better than the roasted ones. This is also a great place to pick up souvenirs; they have a wide variety of soap, oils and lotions. Also works by local artists are for sale here.

Back in the car for a bit to enjoy the scenery. On the left you will pass the crouching lion a rock formation in the mountain. Then around the beautiful Kahana Bay. The next stop has no food but a gorgeous view; you’ll need your camera for this stop, Laie Point. Turn right on Anemoku, which is the only stoplight in Laie, then right at the top of the hill, Naupaka St. The lookout is at the end of the road.

On Kam Highway again for Sharon’s must stop, Giovanni’s White Shrimp Truck in Kahuku for delicious garlic shrimp scampi over rice. Everyone should eat at least one shrimp. If you are the lone person who passed on this scampi, the smell of your car mates might kill you. (We LOVE this place!!)

Pass the beautiful Waimea Bay to our next stop, both of our must see. If it’s the right time of the day you will be able to see and swim with huge turtles at Turtle Beach. Parking is on the left, be careful crossing the highway to the beach. The turtles sun and eat at this spot almost every day. You can take their picture and swim with them but it’s against the law to touch them. Over the years I think we have only missed them a few of times.

After the turtles we approach our last stop, Matsumoto’s in Haleiwa. The best “shave ice” on the island.

Take a right back on to Kam Highway and follow the signs to Honolulu. Follow the signs to the H2 freeway through Wahiawa and take H2 to H1 (west) back to KoOlina. It’s one big circle. You will also pass the Dole Plantation on the way back, which has great whipped pineapple ice cream cones.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:31 PM

Have you tried the Pali Lookout yet? You can go there on your way to Lanikai Beach. It won't take long, it provides a nice view of the windward side and on a windy day, you can try to go vertical while hanging onto a railing.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:06 AM

I described our experience at Ko Olina lagoons in October in the link below:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34549308

The beaches at the lagoons seemed very safe despite the absence of a life guard and the snorkeling is reasonable for something manmade, though the numbers and varieties of fish are no where near the diversity available at Hanauma Bay. Some lagoon in link below:www.hawaiibnb.com/jojopics/Lagoons/index.html

Please do us a favor and report back on your experiences. Mahalo
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Something you & your kids might find interesting is the Iolani Palace tour - it's really very interesting.

Also - if you head out to Kailua in the morning - stop at Boots & Kimo's for very yummy macadamia pancakes.

For something fun you can go to the Outrigger Reef - in their lobby is a flower shop and the lady will teach your kids (and you too) how to string their own lei - and they get to keep it - for only $5. Then they can brag when they get home that they made it themselves.

Waimanalao Beach is a beautiful place - but don't leave valuables in the car, just to be on the safe side. Lanikai beach is also gorgeous and is near Kailua. Have you folks been to Sea Life Park? It's kind of dwarfed compared to Sea World and the like, but it's still fun and the dolphin shows are good.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Oahu Revealed will be invaluable, great hiking info. Diamond Head and the Makapuu Point lighthouse are great, not too long, just hot and uphill. The Turtle beach is actually just a bit east (north?) of Haleiwa, excellent info in OR. Don't touch them! They will swim right into your legs if you're not careful. Tantalus is a lovely loop drive just uphill from Waikiki cris-crossed with muddy trails.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Here are mine:

Byodo-In Temple - This is a beautiful and restful place and you just cannot take a bad photo here.
Pali Lookout - Walk down the old road on the right for a while. It is almost completly overgrown but has a great view back up at the Lookout.
Hike up Diamond Head - Get there before 7:30am to beat the crowds and the heat. The view is incredible and the hike is easy if you take your time. At the end you have to crawl a few steps through the old WWII gun lookouts but it's not bad. You can be back to your car by 9:00am or 9:30am.
Historical Tours - The Sheraton Moana Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian both have very good tours. You get some history and the docents are real characters.

Have fun!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:39 PM

First let me say I am soooo jealous! I love the Moana and Oahu! I would also vote for a stop at the Byodo In temple. If you have never gone to Kailua beach, it is a great beach with lots of room and you can watch the windsurfers. If you like Asian food and want to try something new I would like to suggest Okonomiyaki Chibo in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. I first tried this dish on a trip to Japan, our host's teenage daughters wanted us to try this version of Japanese Pizza, popular with the teenagers there. It is actually more like a quiche, cooked on a griddle in front of you. You pick the fillings. Have a great trip!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM
iceeu2

Hey Mary, is this the name of the food place or the name of the dish you are describing?

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Okonomiyaki chibo is the restaurant that serves okonomiyaki. Its pretty good too!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 03:32 PM
iceeu2

Icuy, the food is good or the restaurant is good, or both?

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:57 PM

Both! You'll feel like you're in Japan, especially since 99% of the patrons will be japanese.

I've found it is pretty hard to get bad Okonomiyaki...kind of like omelets..what you choose to put on it is the determining factor in the taste!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 11:57 AM

I would hike up Diamond Head, just go early. I believe the park opens at 6am so we hiked up for sunrise one morning (we were up due to the time difference).

I would suggest the Pali lookout too if you haven'e been there yet.

Have you been to China Town? Legend's Seafood Restaurant is good for dim sum which is fun if you've never done it before.

Ala Moana beach is nice if you haven't been to that one yet. It's very gentle so maybe too tame for your teenagers.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 12:21 PM
iceeu2

Just what is dim sum for those of us who lead a sheltered life?

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Here is a good option if you have a rental car:

Tropical Plant Walk, 1 p.m. Sundays, Ho'omaluhia Botanical Garden; bring walking shoes, insect repellent and rain gear; free. Reservations: 233-7323.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Reply to iceeu2,
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa070700a.htm
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I won't make you look it up, my answer is... Dim sum means little plates of wonderful foods at a Chinese restaurant, usually at lunchtime... items are wheeled thru the dining room on different trollies. You point and pick. Includes steamed, baked, deep fried items, noodles, baby ribs, etc. etc. You pay per plate and everyone shares.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 03:19 PM

iceeu, here's another link:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34495455
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:23 PM

We just returned from Honolulu - stayed at the Royal Hawaiian. We went on a Movie Site Hummer Tour that was fantastic. It's 5 hours (2 hours off road) in a White Hummer that picks you up at your hotel and takes you out to a valley where movies like "Jurassic Park", "Windtalkers" and many more movies and TV shows were filmed - as a matter of fact, "Lost" is being filmed there now. The cost was $79 pp, which includes a disc with digital pictures Ed takes, water, and snack - I think it's more if you book through an agency. His web site is koshawaii.com - check it out and if interested, you can call or email him - he'll get right back to you. This was worth the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -