Search

Ahalanui warm pond / Big Island

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahalanui warm pond / Big Island

From Fodor's regarding Ahalanui warm pond on the Big Island:

"There is a half-acre pond fed by thermal freshwater springs mixed with seawater which makes for a relaxing warm-saltwater swim or soak. However, there have been recent reports of occasional bacterial contamination; the health department has been monitoring the situation. Check with on-duty lifeguards and follow any posted advisory signs."

Does anyone know anything about bacterial contamination here? Is this a current problem, or just something to be aware of like lepto?

Thanks!
Seven more days!

love
roxy
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:49 PM

It is more something to be aware of. I was last in the pond last Nov. and have been many times with no problem. Having said that, I would not go in the pond if I had any type of open cut or sore that would allow bacteria in. The warm water is conducive to bacterial growth. The ocean waves periodically clean out the pond, I read somewhere that the best time to go would be just after high tide, but haven't tried that myself. We also will be on the Big Island in 4 more days. Can't wait!! Have you been to the Big Island before?
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help Gloria!

No, I've never been to the Big Island, but we've been to Maui and Kauai. I'm going by myself and I'm VERY excited!

love
roxy
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:15 PM

I personally love the Big Island and have traveled there with my family and by myself. Will you be staying on the Puna (Hilo) side much - as the "warm pond" (what it is called locally) is in the Puna District. If you are going to be in that area, my favotire drive on the island is the "red road" or "Pohiki Road" drive in Puna to Kalapana, where the road stops because lava has covered the road. YOu can walk from there a short walk to a new black sand beach which is forming. What are your plans? There are some events listed at this website that you might be interested in, as September is the Aloha Festivals time: www.konaweb.com/calendar
Have a wonderful time and let me know if I can help.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:18 PM

One more - I think this is a great website for information http://www.alternative-hawaii.com

There is a really good calendar of events on that website and lots of good information. Aloha
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:26 PM

As I described on day 8 of our last spring TR:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34491972
My wife was very reluctant to enter the Ahalanui pond after we read the leptospiro warning signs at the park entrance. We were reassured by a local who swims there very frequently and he stated that they closed off part of the pond's water supply, so that it is more in fed by the ocean. Despite the shallow depth of the small size pond and seemingly remote location, it was comforting to know that there was a lifeguard observing the pond from a booth while we visited.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Aloha, I am from Hawaii and visit the Big Island 6+ times a year as I have family there.If you go to the pond I would advise that you do NOT put your head under water as it has been reported that there is bacteria in the pond and you don't want to take the chance of an ear or eye infection.Also do NOT leave any valuables in your car.It is a great Island, have a good trip.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:41 PM

We snorkeled there without incident, but we were sure to wash off by showering in the fresh water supplied park showers when we left.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!

Gloria, yes, I am staying in Hilo one night, visiting the volcano at sunset and visiting the warm pond in the morning, along with one of the black sand beaches past the pond, either Kehena or the new Kaimu beach (per Big Island Revealed).

love
roxy
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Have a wonderful time. You will love the Big Island. You could probably visit both black sand beaches - Kehena (clothing obtional) and the newly forming beach at the end of the red road, Kaimu, with no problem. The drive between the two is incredibly beautiful. I love the solitude and newness of the new beach. Last time we were there we planted a coconut - you can get a sprout to plant at the little honey stand at the end of the road (great honey too!)I love the Big Island!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 09:15 AM

I was there in late Feb and don't remember seeing any signs -oops! It was pure heaven swimming there!

I also recommend the black sand beach at Kaimu and the Kapoho tide pools. I used the BI Revealed book and was pleasantly surprised that for Kapoho not only did they NOT put up a gate but they actually had signs directing you to the pools and where to park.

This was a BEAUTIFUL area - have a great trip! I also have a detailed trip report written back in March.