Best place to snorkel in Kauai or Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading for my honeymoon in August, would like to go snorkeling one day to see the most variety of colorful fish possible....Please let me know if you have any favorites! thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:07 AM

Aloha dianebabs,

Found this old post after reading your Hyatt/Marriott dilemma, have not stayed at either but have visited both and Hyatt is closer to Poipu Beach which has great snorkeling year round.

Our favorite snorkel spot is Kee Beach on a calm day, where the road ends on the North Shore of Kauai, adjacent to the Napali Coast Trail. On the way to Kee Beach you will pass Tunnels Beach (near Haena State Park) that is also renowned for snorkeling. Lydgate Park is good for beginner snorkelers though it offers less variety but is a good back up snorkeling location in case the ocean is rough elsewhere.

Here is a link with more snorkeling info. http://www.suite-paradise.com/kauai-activities/snorkeling-kauai.html
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Poipu Beach in Kauai has surprisingly good snorkling. lots of large fish and I saw a sea turtle just hanging out last time I was there. But there is not reef and it is a bit shallow in some places.

On the waliea Coast in Maui the beach in front the the renasanssise hotel has a great reef for snorkeling and you can just walk right in.
Molokini CRater is well worth it also.
On the far south side of maui(south of makena) there is a fantastic place to snorkel and see sea turtles. (it has a french name and I forgot but someone on this board should know)

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Agree about good snorkeling on Maui off Wailea beaches, and add that Kapalua and Honolua up north are also good.
I believe dgruzew is referring to an area south of Wailea known as La Perouse bay.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:46 AM

We liked Molokini.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:28 AM

On Maui we found the best snorkeling to be at Ulua Beach in Wailea and Black Rock in Kaanaplai. For Ulua you can park in a public lot just up the street. The beach has bathrooms and outdoor showers to rinse off. For Black Rock there is public parking at the Sheraton for Beach use. There is a walkway on the south side of the Sheraton that will take you to the beach.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 09:34 AM

La Perouse Bay is closed for tours and hard to reach by car/foot. I was sad to learn this a few days ago
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Reply to Celine,
Any info. as to why La Perouse is closed?
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 09:51 AM

Here's a link to a newspaper article describing how kayak tour operators have been banned from the area. http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln17a.html

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 10:53 AM

http://www.maui-tomorrow.org/issuesp...hi_kinau3.html

http://www.moolelo.com/ahihi-kinau-panel.html

`Ahihi-Kinau has been designated a Natural Area Reserve and all commercial activity is prohibited except by special permit. And since no permits are being issued, all of the commercial tour operators have been, in essence, operating illegally. It was set aside as a protected reserve area--not a recreational area. There are plenty of other recreational areas on Maui. This is not a park, but a fragile area with some species of wildlife that are unique to this area, as well as a valuable and sacred historical site. Burial caves have been vandalized, ancient archeological areas have been disturbed. This is an area where dolphins come to rest, but they have been harrassed by kayakers, disrupting thier rest and breeding habits. People have been swimming in the achialine pools, killing the rare brine shrimp that live there, and no where else in the world. This area needs to be protected.

The people of Maui have finally won one battle in the war to protect the this area from overcommercialization. I expect more to follow. It looks fairly certain the idea of issuing any commercial permits at all is dead and it is very likey that gates will be erected. Sadly, there are many visitors who come here and out of either ignorance or lack of respect, ignore the posted signs, trepass on private and restricted land, desecrate sacred ancient sites, and foul the environment. As a result there is a growing movement here to restrict access in an effort to preserve Maui for the future.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:27 AM
gyppielou

thanks for the update heretoday

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Mahalo Suzie and gone2, for the informative links. Though this area is strikingly beautiful, personally we would not return here to snorkel.

Curious if people are still snorkeling at La Perouse as it is not mentioned in the above links?
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:59 AM

I have not been out there in a few weeks, but when we were there last we found the area to be much less active than it was a few months ago. We often hike the area, but it is rough with much loose a`a and the trails are not so clearly marked if you don't know what to look for. As a result, not too many people attempt to hike into the snorkeling snorkeling areas. There are other places that are more accessible.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Much appreciate the update g2!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:34 PM

I was there two years ago(la peruse) - I don't remember seeing any signs or being told by anyone not to snorkel. If it is proctected thats fine with me, but many guidebooks (including Fodors) descrbe this place - so it may be a good Idea to send the editors a letter to research the issue