Search

Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:39 AM
maj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley

We are contemplating a trip in mid-late May. Definitely want to see Yosemite,Sequoia, Kings Canyon (like short 2-3 mile hikes, scenery etc.--not too interested in shopping, cities). How far is it (travel time) to Death Valley. Probably fly into Fresno and out of Fresno.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:57 AM

Hi, maj!

Are you planning to drive from the Fresno Airport to Death Valley?

There is no straight path from Fresno to DV. An entire range of mountains, the Sierra Nevada, separates the two. Included in this range is Mt Whitney, the tallest peak in the continental US!

I would suggest that you do a loop drive. From Fresno, go north to Yosemite. Cross Yosemite to the Tioga Pass and go southward along 395. If you have the time, stop off at Mammoth Lakes.

Along 395 there are short drives-plus-hikes into the Sierra Nevadas just to view Mt. Whitney.

From 395 you can go on 190 to Death Valley.

Then, from Death Valley, I would suggest you loop all the way around the southern end of the Sierra Nevadas to Sequoia and then back to Fresno.

Have fun! Great hikes all over!
Jason
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:01 AM

I think jason's recommendation sounds good. I've never been to Death Valley or Sequoia, but May is a great time in Yosemite - the falls will be gorgeous and unless you will be there Memorial Day weekend, you wont have the crowds you would in the summertime.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:27 AM

The loop Jason mentioned is 875 miles round trip.

I want to point out two things.

1.) There's just NO guessing at this point in time when Tioga pass will be opened next year. It will all depend on the snow fall this winter and early spring. Tioga pass has opened as early as April 29th and as late as July 1st.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/tioga.htm

Late May is a wonderful in Yosemite! The waterfalls are at their best in spring.

2.) Death Valley is a BIG national park will take some time getting around it. It also can start getting hot in May.

From Fresno to Death Valley and back is 686 miles. If you add in Sequoia then it's then it's 815 miles. The loop would be a good call if the pass is open and you want to spend the time going to Death Valley.

Utahtea

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:12 AM
maj
Original Poster

Thanks everyone--that's exactly what I wanted to know--not sure if we will add Death Valley--maybe save it for another trip. I've been following comments on this site--maybe do the Yosemite--Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Hearst, San Francisco route. Do you miss alot in Yosemite if the Tioga Pass is closed?
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:23 AM

With Tioga Pass closed you miss the section of Yosemite between Crane Flat and the eastern entrance station. This area includes Tuolumne Meadows and many turnouts that provide broad vistas for viewing. Also there are some lakes up on Tioga Pass that are beautiful. If it is open at the end of May the nice thing is that there is still lots of snow and the area is breathtaking as you drive through with the lakes surounded by snow. One year we drove through right after it opened and we marveled at the amount of snow still at the higher elevations. Snow was mounded on both sides of the road so it was like driving in a tunnel at times.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 03:21 PM

You will miss the high country of Yosemite when Tioga Pass is closed but to me the heart of Yosemite is in the Valley which is open year round.

Like I said before the water falls in spring are when they are at their best.

Utahtea
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:52 PM

Kings Canyon is fabulous in May. The drive down into the canyon has you traveling beside the Kings River for most of the drive and the River is awesome when it is full of water. You can roll down your window and hear it roar. Their are two falls that you can get too so easily that they don't merit the term "hike". If you had time I would recommend the Mist Falls hike--it is 9 miles round trip I believe, but is relatively flat for at least 2/3 of the trip and the upslope near the falls is very easy--not a strenous hike at all. This hike also follows the river so it is cool with lots of nice picnic spots.

There are two caverns in Sequoia/Kings Canyon --if you go the IMHO the Sequoia cave is the better tour.

I love all three of these parks. Hope you can get up to Glacier Peak in Yosemite--the view is outrageous!