Restaurants in Manhattan

Search

Restaurants in Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Manhattan

We are looking for restaurant recommedations for lunch and dinner for a week-end in New York City in early Oct. We will be staying at The Intercontinental Central Park South but will travel for good food. Last year we went to Daniel and Gramercy Tavern for dinner, Cafe Des Artiste for lunch and Norma's for breakfast. Loved GT and Norma's and all things considered thought Daniel to be just okay. We would be more interested Gramercy Tavern type places. Also really loved Norma's. What is Robert DeNiro's place in TriBeCa like? We're not familiar with any Chinatown or Little Italy spots. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
JoeG
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:51 AM

How about Balthazar in SoHo? It's the closest I can think of to Gramercy Tavern - great food, non-stuffy atmosphere. However it's French cuisine and the service isn't quite as good (but then, what is?). It's right off the shopping strip, so if you're going to be in Soho anyway, it would be worth a try. The profiteroles for dessert are divine (they are like cream puffs, but with ice cream, and hot chocolate syrup poured on top... )
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:26 AM

Try Chowhound.com, the Manhattan board. You can read rest. reviews (written by NYers and tourists alike) to your heart's content.

My happy places in NY include

Le Bernardine
Jean George
Babbo
City Bakery for hot chocolate
Payard for dessert
Dean and DeLuca for a picnic in the park
Balthazar only for their pastry and bread
Il Cortile in Little Italy

However, I must warn you, Daniel is a god to me, so we may have dissimilar tastes.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

suzanne,
We have heard that Balthazar's would be a good choice from others too!
Litespeed Chick,
Your list sounds great. I meant no critcism of Daniel. We were glad we went, service wasn't particularly friendly that night. And I guess dollar for dollar thought food and service at Gramercy Tavern made it a more enjoyable experience.
JoeG
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

LiteSpeed Chick,
Thanks for the Chowhound.com suggestion. Just read a really good and funny review of Babbo posted today!
JoeG
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:30 AM

If you liked Gramercy Tavern (one of my favorites too, by the way) you'll probably like these:

Gotham Bar and Grill (on E. 12th) - similar style food, lovely room, great service

Washington Park - in 24 Fifth Avenue, a block above Washington Square Park. Great food, good wine list, very friendly.

Also - the person who owns Gramercy Tavern (Danny Meyer)is known for the gracious service in all of his restaurants. He also owns Union Square Cafe (on E. 16th street)which has excellent food (a great place for lunch on a Saturday, following a walk through the Union Square Greenmarket) and Tabla, an interesting sort of Indian fusion place on 25th and Madison.

By the way - I agree about the service at Daniel. A bit snooty and cool.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:14 PM

Here are some excellent resturants.
Union Pacific/gramecy area/
Gotham Bar and Grill
First, casual east village with graet food
Olica/uptown
Water club/great in the summer
Il cortille/little italy
one if by land/village/upscale
The Terrace/uptown with great views
Waters edge/LongIsland City.Take a ferry
Sparks/Steak
Ocans
March/upscale
Le bernadine/upscale,some people love it.I think its over-rated
Savoy/soho
Barolo/soho/outdoor garden
Chanterele/upscale
Bouley/upscale downtown
La Cote basque/upscale
Nobu
Rauls/soho
Veritas/gramacy
Veritage/Gramacy
stay away from lutece,babbo,le circ
Check out these rest. on www.zagats.com
enjoy
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

cindymal,
Great list. What was your problem with Babbo?
JoeG
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Gotham Bar & Grill is a good choice.
Forget about Tribeca Grill. Not that great.
If you like French, try Chez Josephine, my favorite (and the favorite of other posters as well).
Also, Union Square Cafe.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:23 AM

So many of these suggestions are overpriced midtown (or midtown-esgue) tourist traps. JoeG, if that's what you're looking for, have at it. But if you're interested in trying some great places where actual New Yorkers eat regularly, just ask. (At this moment the best food in the city can be found on the Lower East Side.)
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Hey Gekko,
I'm askin' I'm askin'.
JoeG
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:01 AM

Some places actual NYers eat:
Apizz - lower e. side
L'Epicerie - lower E. side
Le Jardin Bistro - soho/Little italy
Va Tutti - soho/little italy
Kasimir - E. VIllage
East Post - E.Village
Le Tableau - E. Village
Lavagna - E. Village
I Coppi - E. VIllage
Gonzo - W. Village
Gus' Place - W. Village
Provence - Soho

There are many, many more, but these are what comes to mind. They are all great value and the food in most cases is as good as or better than many of the trendy, popular, 'hard to get a erservation' places.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:50 AM

Well JoeG, since you asked . . .

A few of my favorites on the LES include:

* Paladar -- Great Spanish cuisine. Everybody's favorite on Ludlow Street

* WD-50 -- Wylie Dufresne's new place on Clinton. Excellent. Definitely call for a reservation. Not inexpensive.

* Lansky Lounge -- a former speakeasy on Norfolk. Food is good; atmosphere is out-of-this-world.

* Suba -- Also on Ludlow. Relatively new (18 months). Very cool.

* Punch & Judy -- On Clinton. Known for its amazing wine list and choice of wines by the glass.

That's a strong start. Don't even get me started on East Village eateries.

Enjoy NYC!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:16 PM

I'll have to disagree with a previous post: New Yorkers do eat at places such as Balthazar, Gotham Bar & Grill, Union Square Cafe, etc.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:04 PM

No, they don't.

Ha Ha, just kidding. I'm talking about on a regular basis (and I guess the New Yorkers I know like to dine at new places).

Balthazar? Tired. All's that left are Euro-trash posers wondering why Leo doesn't show up anymore.

Gotham? Union Square Cafe? Special occasion, expense account, or guests in from out-of-town who don't know better but to request them.

How about checking out someplace *new*?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Hey Gekko,
Can I get you started on the East Village list? We're adventurous and ready to take the plunge!
JoeG
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:32 PM
blh

Gekko - let's see the East Village list!!!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:48 PM

Don't get me started. We'll be here all day.
Adventurous you say? Okay, let's go . . .

* Zum Schneider -- Avenue C @ 7th Street -- an authentic German beer hall with dirty communal tables and absentee service, Zum nonetheless serves up delicious German food (the lightest thing on the menu is the big ole pork chop). Grab a wheat beer, relax, and enjoy.

* Esperanto -- C @ 9th Street -- Great nuevo latino cuisine, just recently got a good write-up in GQ (by the incomparable Alan Richman). Check out Zum and if you can't handle it, walk two short blocks north.

* Frank -- Second Ave -- Very small restaurant but excellent Italian. Same owners operate Lil Frankie's Pizza on First Ave.

* Mermaid Inn -- Second Ave -- Seafood.

* Boca Chica -- First @ First -- It's been open for a decade, but it's still a hip crowd-pleaser. Around corner on First St is Elephant, another popular choice.

* La Paella -- 9th Street -- If you like ... paella ... this is the place. Amazing variations of the traditional dish. Fantastic.

* Il Bagatto -- 2nd Street -- Arguably the best Italian in New York (along with Il Mulino).

* Chez Es Saada -- 1st Street -- How great is this Moroccan place? The subterranean dining room is too cool, and the belly dancer is too hot.

So many more . . . Rue B for amazing sandwiches, Lavagna, Alphabet Kitchen . . . .
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Gekko,
You're awesome! My wife will go crazy when she sees this! Thanks so much! Thanks to everyone.
JoeG
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 03:44 PM

After seeing Gekko's list, I wish my wife and I had ventured into the LES during our recent vacation in NYC.

However, there are some restaurants we did try that I can highly recommend:

Babbo (expensive, but well worth it)
Becco, West 46th (great Italian pre-fixe value in Midtown)
Chanterelle, in Tribeca (we had a $20.03 three-course lunch that was wonderful)
Le Madeliene, West 43rd (thank you, HowardR for this recommendation; the garden room was indeed very nice, as well as the food and service)

The only "off" meal we had our whole week was at Fratelli in Little Italy. The food was good, but the service was definitely wanting. I wish we had tried nearby Il Cortile for lunch that day instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -