Drive to NY? Train into city?

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:03 AM
mlw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive to NY? Train into city?

Somewhere on this board I read a suggestion that if you are driving to NYC, to park outside the city and take a train in? Where outside the city would be a good place to leave our car for 3-4 days? We would be arriving from the south by I-95. Would be staying near Times Square.Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:17 AM

The Amtrak stop at Edison/Metropark in New Jersey has a large covered parking garage with access to the train station. The stop is on the Garden State Parkway, about Exit 131 (going from memory here). The train station is basically right at the Exit, so it is easy to find. Amtrak has very frequent connections to Penn Station from this station, the train ride would take between 30-40 minutes.

You can access the Garden State Parkway from I-95, about 40 miles from the Delaware Memorial Bridege (again from memeory). Look at a map or check the website for Amtrak.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:23 AM

You could drive to Hoboken,NJ and take the PATH train into the City to 6th Avenue and 33rd Street.

From where are you coming from? It might be more convenient to just take Amtrak into the city instead of driving the New Jersey Turnpike (I-95) to Hoboken. I took Amtrak from Philly to New York Penn Station at 8th Avenue and 34th Street in Midtown this weekend. Very convenient. Took 1.5 hours for the entire trip. There's a special on Amtrak if you buy one adult ticket, you get the second for half off and the third for free.

http://www.nj.com/njtransit/path.html

www.amtrak.com
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:26 AM

Can't help on where to park....but if you have access to an EZPass..get one.

I drove to NYC last week and it was great feeling not to have to wait in any lines at all the toll plazas.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:00 AM

Hi mlw,

Somewhere else on this board you should have read this wonderful post from Anthony which I'm copying for you!

Message: For those searching for an inexpensive parking garage in Manhattan, one of the city's larger parking lot & garage Co. has their own website:

www.iconparking.com

You can use their website to find reasonable overnight parking right in Manhattan - YES, you can find reasonable parking in Manhattan.

I wanted to test it out, so I put in some dates & times, coming in Thur., 3/27 @ 6pm, and leaving Sun, 3/30 @ 6pm, and was able to find parking for $45 for the TOTAL time @ a garage @ 10th Ave between 49th & 50th Sts.

Also, for those staying in the Times Square area, I happened to pass a garage next to the Virgina Theater @ 245 W. 52 St
The fees were $17 before tax for 24 hrs, and will go up to about $19 before taxes in April. At those prices, it makes no sense for toursists who are driving to NYC to park outside Manhattan and take a train in, thinking they will save money.

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:55 AM

Should you choose the Edison/Metropark option, look into taking the NJT (New jersey Transit) commuter train, rather than Amtrak. It's a short ride, but much less $ than Amtrak. Difference? Seats don't recline, and no snack car.