Zoe's Restaurant - Naples, FL

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zoe's Restaurant - Naples, FL

I was wondering if anyone has dined in this 5th Avenue restaurant. I am need of buying a gift certificate from a restaurant and was wondering if this place might be a nice, new place that the recipients could enjoy. I saw the restaurant while strolling past it, and also see it’s advertisement on the back of my ticket from the great play I saw while visiting Naples, “Kiss Me Kate” (excellent performance, Patrick!).

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 05:07 AM

Hi, Paul and thanks. Sorry you had to return to the cold of Michigan after a very warm week here in Naples!

Just went to Zoe's a few nights ago. Like several restaurants it has sold in the past year or so (several restuarant owners start and sell the places around here as if they were trading baseball cards). In this case the sale has developed into a better restaurant than before. It has also become one of the most popular places on Fifth. Did you notice that although there is almost no sidewalk space in front of Zoe's they've managed to put four small, high tables out there with bar height stools -- as I walk by those diners every night I can hardly control myself from picking something off their plates!!

So yes, I'd say it is a great choice. Incidentally, as with many places the booming noise level there is the one most often given complaint. But they have a second space called The Z Room, which is off the kitchen the other direction (it opens to the walkway next to Vergina's). It is quieter, same menu. They sort of use it as an overflow, but you can request to dine there instead. You still go to Zoe's, and the host walks you down the street and around that walkway to seat you. Or sometimes he'll actually take you through the kitchen to get there. A couple nights ago I was following the host leading two attractive young ladies to the Z Room through the crowds on the sidewalk. As they turned to go up that walkway, one gal suspiciously said, "are you sure you work for Zoe's?"
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the two thumbs up on Zoe's. I sat next to a very nice woman on the plane who told me what a nice time she had at that restaurant. I was a bit surprised as I had heard "mixed" reviews of the place in the past.

I love your city, Patrick. Can't wait to return! It is still cold and snowy up here in Michigan. Talk about your long winters. And yes, I have heard of all of your record warmth in Florida. Enjoy it buddy!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Where is the production of "Kiss me Kate". I would love to see Patrick in action. I feel as I have come to know him through the Fodors site.
Priscilla
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 01:41 PM

Thanks, Priscilla. Kiss Me Kate is a production of The Naples Players, a community theatre with a professional staff of 20, but volunteer workers and actors. Four years ago we built a new 326 seat beautiful theatre and a smaller "black box theatre" right on the center plaza of 5th Avenue South. It is named The Sugden Community Theatre. Actually the theatre sits where there used to be a short street, but the city turned the land over to us to build. We built it at a cost of just over 5.6 million dollars and opened fully paid for -- thanks to the generosity of the Naples residents. This year we celebrate our 50th anniversary and we are considered by annual budget and attendance one of the ten largest community theatres in the nation.

Kiss Me Kate will run through March 29, but like all our productions it is fully sold out (mainly on subscriptions, but for musicals we do an extra week of performances which also tend to sell out before we open). Normally you can arrive at 7 and put your name on a waiting list for cancellations or no-shows and get in just before the 8 pm curtain. Rarely are we unable to seat people that way.
By the way, I have a small role in this one, Harrison Howell, the "backer of the show and fiance to Lilli, the star". But it is much fun, even though with my southern accent, white hair and Kentucky Colonel tie, I look suspiciously like I should be carrying a big bucket of fried chicken.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:52 PM

Patrick and others - any specialties of the house at Zoe's? Any other new spots you recommend? Haven't been to Naples for two years, but coming down to Vanderbilt Beach next week. Sounds like Syrah is another good place. Any recommended specials there? We've got Campiello up here in frozen Mpls (actually, its supposed to get to 60 degrees tomorrow after being below zero tomorrow). Too bad "Kiss Me Kate" is sold out - maybe we'll try for the waiting list.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 01:11 PM

Patrick, your description of yourself is too funny. If we find those accommodations for next February and you are available for lunch, I'll bring the chicken since I am from KY.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 01:13 PM

Oops - meant to say it's supposed to be up to 60 degrees tomorrow after being below zero last weekend.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:11 PM

In answer to the request for specials of the house at Zoe's. Last week was pre-theatre with a special fixed price menu, fairly limited. (Note: in more urban environments the term is pre-theatre, but normally here in Naples the correct but detested term is "early bird specials"). I had a fantastic steamed salmon with a soy and vegetables treatment. It was excellent. Usually my favorite is a seared rare tuna, which they change exact preparation of from time to time, but also tends to have an Asian influence. This would seem to indicate that fish is their specialty, but I wouldn't necessarily say that. It is not a huge menu, but well balanced with dishes.

Carolyn, I'm waiting for that bucket of chicken.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Thanks, Patrick! Hope to try the salmon.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:29 AM
OliveOyl

Patrick...I thought about you while we were in Naples of course, wondering what you looked like (as if I'd know you if I saw you gt;). By any chance were *you* at Campiello last Saturday? As we approached the restaurant, there was a very distinguished looking man sitting in the patio along the rail. "Hmm", I thought, "he looks like a thespian". (He really did, but I thought my imagination was playing tricks most likely!) Well...he also looked just like what you described above, complete with nicely trimmed beard! I wondered how I'd ever approach a complete stranger and say, "Pardon me, but is your name Patrick"? gt; Thought about doing it anyway, then we stopped at the restrooms before heading out, and they were gone when we got back. So...would I have embarrassed myself? gt;

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:22 AM

Yes, OO, you would have. LOL. Not at Campiello last Saturday.

Actually no beard presently. As a "thespian" my looks change periodically. Last year at this time I was playing Ali Hakim in Oklahoma and had my normally grey (almost white) hair dyed black, and grew a beard also dyed black. The result (although Ali is supposed to be a Persian) was that if I had tried to fly anywhere at that time, I surely would have been stopped as a terroist -- I really fit the image.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 02:38 PM
OliveOyl

Phew...saved by a flush. And wouldn't it have been cute if I'd walked up to him, saw hestiation, and introduced myself as OliveOyl! LOL So much for future impulses...I learned painlessly. gt;

Unfortunately, you may have made me a little nervous too had I been a passenger on a flight with you last year. Unfair as it might have been, we were all wired.

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Funny how these threads tend to take on a life all their own. I hope you are all doing great and making happy travel plans. California and New York are coming up soon for me. I ordered the Zoe's gift certificate, Patrick. Thanks for your advice... again!

Dear Plummie, I ate at Syrah and had a wonderful meal, great service, and enjoyed the lively environment. The menu is about as diverse as I have seen, and everything our table ordered, from the sushi to the rack of lamb, was very good. {While not usually anything I typically order, Patrick suggested to me a year or so ago to try the rack of lamb. It was absolutely fantastic!}

Happy Trails (and break a leg, Patrick),
Paul