Zion vs. Sedona

Mar 31st, 2011, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Zion vs. Sedona

Thoughts on these two? 2-3 days. Deciding on which way to head. Can't do both.
We want to do some hiking, get the best sites possible. Hope to be fairly active.
Mar 31st, 2011, 03:45 PM

They are two very different places. Both beautiful. My inclination is to vote for Zion, to which I notice you give top billing.

Where are you starting from? That might be the deal maker.

HTTY
Mar 31st, 2011, 04:26 PM

When I first went to Sedona, I loved it and declared it my new favorite place. Then I visited Zion and ZION became my all-time favorite spot on the Earth! Both places have great hiking and geology, but Zion is a National Park. No cars are allowed in the park; you take a very convenient shuttle to the trailheads. Zion would be my top recommendation but you'd probably enjoy either one.
Mar 31st, 2011, 04:44 PM

Zion became my all-time favorite spot on the Earth

I feel pretty much the same way, but I avoid making statements such as this because there are people trolling this forum in search of comments such as this with which they can take exception. They are a tedious lot.

HTTY
Mar 31st, 2011, 05:36 PM

Oh...well...I'm glad you enjoy it, too, HTTY. Yes, some posters like to stir stuff up. But, truly, Zion is a place I love to go to de-stress.
Mar 31st, 2011, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Will be 2nd leg after G.C. with return to Vegas. Zion was original plan but started to re-think. After checking mileage Zion will only be about 30 miles/minutes further in the round trip. That is indeed high praise. Thanks.
Mar 31st, 2011, 05:52 PM
Uma

Both places are stunning. I agree with the other posters who have recommended Zion.
Mar 31st, 2011, 06:11 PM

I gather you are comparing driving Grand Canyon-Sedona-Las Vegas (417 miles) to driving Grand Canyon-Zion-Las Vegas (385 miles).

Perhaps others will vouch for which drive is more scenic. Offhand I think it is the drive via Zion. Also, if you head north and have three days, there is the possibility of adding a quick trip to Bryce Canyon to your itinerary.

HTTY
Mar 31st, 2011, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

happy- Yes, although I notice Bing and Google travel differ in their numbers by more than a few. Odd, but no matter.
The big reason I started re-thinking was the possible shutdown of the Parks next Friday and how that may affect things.
Holding on to Zion.
Mar 31st, 2011, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

P.S. anyone hear or know much about the water levels in Zion now? I read that the Narrows flow was at 6,000 and thus a lot of area was shut down for surveying. Wasn't planning on the Narrows anyway but any word on elsewhere?
Mar 31st, 2011, 07:01 PM

Defintely Zion. My very favorite National Park. I love the way the emerald green Virgin River contrasts with the red earth. Spectacular.
Mar 31st, 2011, 08:08 PM

Zion is spectacular. I'm going back in June. Great hiking opportunities. Not sure about water levels now. Enjoy your trip!
Mar 31st, 2011, 11:30 PM

I'll throw my vote in for Zion too. It's a National Park for a good reason!!!! We spent some time last fall in Sedona while it's a scenic area it was just to civilized for my liking. We hiked an hour on a trail only to end up by a resort...that wasn't my idea of a great hike!

Utahtea
Apr 1st, 2011, 02:57 AM

Wow, this thread is such a reassurance to me who has never been to Zion or knows anyone who has. Going for the first time in October--am I ever excited! We have hiked Sedona and enjoyed it but we're having fun seeing the National Parks, one at a time, for the first time.
Apr 1st, 2011, 04:54 AM

I think Zion is beautiful. However, Sedona has some very scenic hikes.

Zion is a national park and is a bit more isolated. But once you're on the trails around Sedona the same is true.

utahtea, I believe you were hiking Boynton Canyon and passed Enchantment Resort. That wasn't one of my favorite hikes although the much shorter Boynton Cantyon Vista (a vortex sight) was.

The sunset view of Cathedral Rock with Oak Creek in the foreground at the Crescent Moon Picnic Area will be one of those life long memories.

My first National Park trip started in Las Vegas and had me in Bryce Canyon and Zion. I stopped in the Grand Canyon to shorten the drive between zion and Sedona. I then spent 3 days hiking around Sedona.

If time is an issue, in my opinion GC was my least favorite place visited on that or most trips. I'll probably get slammed but a bowl with what looks like a stream (from the top) at the bottom did not move me like the other sights.

And oh yes, Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon and spectacular must see sights.

Depending upon your future plans I would figure out how to see them all. Maybe not on this trip. But plan on it.

The above described trip was my once-in-a-lifetime. However, I've since been to bryce two more times and Zion once more.

This is some part of the world!!!
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Loving the feed-back.
Myer, I understand your thought on the G.C. but if we don't go it will be one of those "had the chance and didn't see it" things. Not sure when we'll be back to this part of the country.
Really want to minimize the driving AMA possibble so settling on just a couple spots.
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:01 AM

This is what I would probably do.

If you're starting from the South Rim of GC you pass Page, AZ on the way to Zion.

If you plan on being there between 11 and 2 this is the ideal time to stop at Horseshoe Bend (allow a little over an hour including 3/4 mile hike each way) and Antelope Canyon (allow a little over 2 hours).

You can't drive right by them without stopping.

Spend 2 days in Zion. Around 4PM of the second day take the east exit and hike Canyon Overlook on the way to Bryce. This is 90 miles but an elevation gain of 4,000 feet.

Sleep over in Bryce and get up very early to see a spectacular sunrise at Bryce Point. After grabbing a quick bite hike down into the hoodoos. Navajo Loop / Queen's Garden will do.

Then you can go to one or two overlooks. Actually, the only one that's really different is Natural Bridge.

Then you can leave for LV.

Depending upon the time you can give yourself another treat and spend an hour or two in the seldom-visited Colob Canyons section of Zion. You'll be passing right by it on the way from Bryce to LV on rte 15.

While Bryce & Zion are close together, they are very different from each other.
Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM

Meyer,

Yes I believe it was Boynton Canyon. Sedona wasn't planned on our trip last year so I wasn't prepared on which hikes to take.

Utahtea
Apr 2nd, 2011, 07:03 AM

utahtea,

In my opinion Sedona has two sides to it; First there's the town which I think is really a bunch of T-shirt stores, a few art galleries and restaurants that close at 9PM. Then there's the Red Rocks outside with amazingly scenic hikes and scenery.

Bell Rock, Cathedral Rock, Broken Arrow hike, Boynton Canyon Vista hike, etc.

Bonton Canyon was asmont my least favorite hikes there.
Apr 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM

Myer,

We only drove though town and didn't stop. We did do Bell Rock and Cathedral Rock. We didn't do Broken Arrow or the Vista hike. Maybe next time

There is no doubt Sedona is scenic, but IMHO Zion beats it hands down.

Utahtea

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO