Zion Sunrise Hike help

Old Mar 29th, 2021, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zion Sunrise Hike help

We will be in Zion in May and I'm big on sunrise. I've gotten great advice on places to see it but how do I get there? The temple of Sinawava seems to be one of everyone's favorite spots, but shuttle start running at 7 am, and I understand it's the last stop -so probably 45 min to get there. That puts us at 745 am at the earliest and sunrise is at 6:23am. My understanding is that you can't drive there but must take a shuttle. How do I get there?

Last edited by euro18; Mar 29th, 2021 at 02:57 AM.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 03:39 AM
J62

Since Zion is a very narrow canyon with 2000' high red sandstone walls, the views of sunrise are actually not seeing the sun but rather seeing the bright sunlight shining on the walls. Depending on the time of year (angle of the sunrise with respect to the canyon orientatation), you will get great sights no matter where you are, even outside of the park in Springdale.

As for how you would get to the far end of the canyon before sunrise, your options include bike (nice ride), foot (too far from the park entrance), or maybe private shuttle. The latter I have no idea about.... I've done bike laps in the canyon very early am, before any traffic and it's magically quiet, deer on the side of the road and no cars or buses.

If you can get to the far end of the canyon before 6am (by bike or private shuttle), I'd say perhaps the best place to see the sunrise would be from a high up lookout point such as Scout's Lookout where you have a vantage point down the length of the canyon as the sun arcs across the dawn sky.

Your other easy-to-get-to high-up spot is Canyon Overlook. You can drive there as it's on the state highway which traverses the park, not deep within the Canyon itself.

Last edited by J62; Mar 29th, 2021 at 03:43 AM.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 10:46 AM

Good advice from J26. If you stay in the cabins in the park, you could drive your car down to them, fairly close to the end of the road when we stayed there. Admittedly not five star lodging but you can not beat the location.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J62
Since Zion is a very narrow canyon with 2000' high red sandstone walls, the views of sunrise are actually not seeing the sun but rather seeing the bright sunlight shining on the walls. Depending on the time of year (angle of the sunrise with respect to the canyon orientatation), you will get great sights no matter where you are, even outside of the park in Springdale.

As for how you would get to the far end of the canyon before sunrise, your options include bike (nice ride), foot (too far from the park entrance), or maybe private shuttle. The latter I have no idea about.... I've done bike laps in the canyon very early am, before any traffic and it's magically quiet, deer on the side of the road and no cars or buses.

If you can get to the far end of the canyon before 6am (by bike or private shuttle), I'd say perhaps the best place to see the sunrise would be from a high up lookout point such as Scout's Lookout where you have a vantage point down the length of the canyon as the sun arcs across the dawn sky.

Your other easy-to-get-to high-up spot is Canyon Overlook. You can drive there as it's on the state highway which traverses the park, not deep within the Canyon itself.

Good advice. We are staying at Cable Mountain Lodge. We have three mornings to work with. I'd really like to do Canyon Overlook one morning and biking through a quiet park before everyone descends sounds like heaven! What is the biking like? Are there a lot of steep grades on the roadways?
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 02:08 PM
J62

From Cable Mountain Lodge to the far end of the Canyon is 8.0 miles of flat, gradual incline. Not perceptible the eye, but you'll know you're working.....I ride a road bike, so that's about at 25-30min ride for me. The ride back is much easier as it's a gradual downhill all the way with some gravity assist. I believe in some sections there is a bike path, but for most of the route you ride on the road. (or at least I did...)

There is a bike shop in springdale that rents bikes of all types - mostly mountain bikes. Outfitters may also rent bikes. There is some excellent MTB trails outside the park, eg in nearby Hurricane UT.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J62
From Cable Mountain Lodge to the far end of the Canyon is 8.0 miles of flat, gradual incline. Not perceptible the eye, but you'll know you're working.....I ride a road bike, so that's about at 25-30min ride for me. The ride back is much easier as it's a gradual downhill all the way with some gravity assist. I believe in some sections there is a bike path, but for most of the route you ride on the road. (or at least I did...)

There is a bike shop in springdale that rents bikes of all types - mostly mountain bikes. Outfitters may also rent bikes. There is some excellent MTB trails outside the park, eg in nearby Hurricane UT.
Great info. Thanks very much!
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 05:19 PM

You will love Cable Mountain Lodge--can't beat the location and the rooms and pool are awesome! Plus there is a good outfitter, coffee shop and ok restaurant in the plaza where the Lodge office is located.
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StantonHyde
You will love Cable Mountain Lodge--can't beat the location and the rooms and pool are awesome! Plus there is a good outfitter, coffee shop and ok restaurant in the plaza where the Lodge office is located.
Thank you! We are excited about it!