Zion or Bryce or an extra day in Colorado?

Jun 25th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Zion or Bryce or an extra day in Colorado?

Coming from Salt Lake City in the first part of August, I only have 2 or maybe 3 days left to see Zion or Byrce. We will be heading back home through Colorado so I didn't know if we had 1 extra day if it would be better to spend itat Zion/Bryce/or somewhere in Colorado on our way back to MI.
Jun 25th, 2007, 01:59 PM

That is a tough question. Two of my favorite spots in the West are Bryce Canyon in Utah and Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.

What would sway me to opt for Bryce would be if I had the time to drive north on Utah state route 12 to Torrey and then go through Capital Reef NP to Hanksville and northeastward to I 70.

Hard choice. Trail Ridge is one of the most spectacular mountain roads in the North America outside of Alaska. Although I love the Icefields Parkway in the Canadian Rockies, it does not reach 12,000 feet and offer views of the high Rockies like Trail Ridge.
Jun 25th, 2007, 02:21 PM

That's a difficult decision. It would be cooler in Rocky Mountain NP in August, though, so that's what I would choose.

Lee Ann
Jun 25th, 2007, 10:05 PM

Bryce and Zion are going to add a lot more driving. I think I'd vote for either Capitol Reef National Park or Arches National Park in Utah.

Utahtea
Jun 26th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

bob_brown, thanks for the feedback. Couple things, if I do Byrce and I'm only 2-3 hours from Zion, do I do that for a day (maybe not hike but take the tram they have there)? Also, I have to head back to MI, so couldn't I do both...drive up route 12, through Capital Reef and since I have to go through Colorado, do Trail Ridge? Or is this out of the way or too much. To be honest, I'm leaning on not driving down to Bryce (just too much driving and on the go for the kids) and maybe spending 1 or 2 days in Colorado. Besides going to Rocky Mountain Nat. park do you have any other suggestions on what to do there? White water rafting? Thanks
Jun 26th, 2007, 08:13 AM

You didn't mention your whole itinerary or what you were interested in seeing during your trip - BUT - Zion & Bryce are a full days drive from SLC and completely out of the way if driving SLC thru Colorado to Mich.

If you're not going specifically to see those parks, I would go east through Canyonlands and Arches and stay in Moab. Then head east on I70 thru Colorado.

August is late for rafting as the spring runoff is gone. There will be easy rafting (class I-II) on the Shoshone just outside Glenwood, the Colorado between Vail & Glenwood (float trip) and the Arkansas near Buena Vista.

Soo, if you are coming from Moab area, I70 thru Grand Junction to Glenwood, overnight in Glenwood, raft the next day, hit the hot springs and you're on your way. From Glenwood you're halfway between Aspen and Vail (1 hour) if they interest you. You can take I70 east to Hwy 9 or 40 to Grand Lake and the Western Entrance to RMNP. Trail Ridge Road over to Estes Park and NE on I25 to Wyoming or 34 thru Nebraska.