Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   ZION national park (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/zion-national-park-444921/)

danen5 Oct 5th, 2008 09:19 AM

ZION national park

We are planning a trip to
ZION NP the end of October. Is two days (hiking) in the park adequate? Has anyone stayed at the Ponderosa? It is 5 min. from the entrance. Thanks for any tips.

PaulRabe Oct 5th, 2008 09:47 AM

Depends what you mean by "adequate." I did a lot of short day hikes during my two days there, enough to satisfy myself. Some people wouldn't be happy with anthing less than three days of wilderness back-packing.

For some people, a twenty minute nature trail on level gournd is "adequate." If you're into desert canyon hiking, you could easily do a week there.

And, if (somehow) you get bored at Zion, you can just drive a short ways to Bryce.

cd Oct 5th, 2008 10:18 AM

danen
What I liked the most was our horseback ride thru Zion. I am not a rider but it is a very tame trail ride and most enjoyable.

Connie Oct 5th, 2008 10:40 AM

Yes, two full days will be enough time to feel like you have experienced the park.

We really enjoyed pizza at Pizza and Noodles in Springdale but bring cash--they don't take cards.

Everything runs with a transportation system. In Springdale, there are several bus stops run by the city. They will take you all over town PLUS to the Zion entrance. From there, you will walk to the entrance, pay, and walk to their bus stop. The busses make quite a few stops and there is a taped commentary on the north route. It all takes a little time but saves you from finding parking slots just outside the park, which are few. They only allow you to drive so far into the park and there aren't that many slots there either.

danen5 Oct 5th, 2008 12:32 PM

I read that the Narrows (hike) only allows 50 persons/day. Is there a way to preregister for this? Has anyone done the zip lines at ZION? Our plans have now changed a bit to hiking there mid November. Will the weather still be OK that late in the season? Thanks ---all of the info so far has been great!

cd Oct 5th, 2008 01:47 PM

Connie
I'm confused RE:"They only allow you to drive so far into the park and there aren't that many slots there either."

When we were there years ago, we drove thru the park, anywhere and everywhere we wanted to go. Is this not permisable now?

WhereAreWe Oct 5th, 2008 01:54 PM

There's a shuttle system March-October in the park. The only traffic allowed in Zion Canyon during those months are shuttle buses and people staying at the lodge. The shuttle system started operations in 2000.

There is another shuttle system running between Springdale and the park, so visitors don't have to drive and park at the visitor center.

enzian Oct 5th, 2008 02:10 PM

danen5,

For the Narrows hike, registration is only required for the "top down" whole hike---the entire way from end to end (16 miles). You need to get a ride to the trailhead at Chamberlain's Ranch, which is outside the park, and you walk back. It is a long and strenuous day, in in November you will probably be hiking in the dark at the beginning and end. The water is very cold.

A better choice for November is the hike up the river, from the end of the riverwalk paved path. You can do this without a permit, walking up the river as far as Big Springs. Most dayhikers don't get that far---you can see a lot in just an hour's walk upriver; two is even better. Then you turn around and walk back.

The special shoes and neoprene socks you can rent at Zion Adventure Company are well worth it. We didn't take their wooded hiking pole; we just used our own hiking sticks.

Other great hikes are (1) wander out the West Rim trail a mile or two after you climb up Angel's Landing (or from Scout Lookout if you don't do Angel's Landing) and (2) Observation Point, an 8-mile roundtrip which includes a short bit in Echo Canyon.

moezbud Oct 5th, 2008 02:37 PM

Hi,
We stayed 3 nights in Zion 2 summers ago. We stayed at Flanigan's ($119/night then). We loved it. Our favorite place we stayed - right next to the Spotted Dog restaurant (which we thought was over-rated). Loved the Pizza and Noodle place for pizza. (In fact, ate there twice.)

We also spent 2 nights in Bryce and 2 at the North Rim. Zion was our favorite. We would have preferred to spend more time there and less at the Grand Canyon. We hiked about 24 miles in our three days in Zion - and could have done more. (And we had kids ages 11 and 13 then.)

Enjoy the trip!

Connie Oct 5th, 2008 03:05 PM

When hiking the narrows (from the bottom up a ways and back down) I found using TWO hiking poles invaluable. I was able to move a lot faster than others with just one pole. You are walking on bowling bowl size and shaped rocks so you are always off balance.

spirobulldog Oct 5th, 2008 03:41 PM

We are going on the 16th for two days. I know that won't be long enough, but my wife and daughter have 2 days off from school and we had free airfare on 2 of the tickets, so that was a good enough excuse to go. We hope to do the Narrows on the first day and Angels Landing on the next. Hopefully, get a hike on emerald pools and overlook trail if we have the time and energy. We have all of our equipment reserved with Zion Adventure. Drystuis, etc.

Dayle Oct 5th, 2008 04:27 PM

danen5,

If you are going in Nov, you will get to see the beautiful fall colors in Zion. It just adds to the incredible beauty.

I personally, would not want to stay at the Ponderosa. It's technically "5 minutes" from the park entrance, but what that really means is it's 5 minutes from the official boudary out the east entrance. So going town to the canyon involves driving through the tunnel and down the switchback road every time.

I perfer staying in the park, at the lodge or camping, or staying in Springdale. Plenty of options, but make reservations. Nov is still plenty popular, especially Thanksgivings weekend. I'll be there Thanksgiving doing a home exchange.

Have fun!

dgassa Oct 5th, 2008 05:19 PM

We just returned after 5 days in Zion. It wasn't long enough for us, but we've been 4 previous times and it's one of our favorate places. Two days for us just wouldn't do, but we hike just about anywhere. This last trip we stayed at Rockville Rose B&B which I would highly recommond. It's in Rockville which is about 3 miles from the west entrance, right next to Springdale. The up and back hike in the narrows is a must, if you haven't done it before. Here's a link to the Rockville Rose.

www.rockvillerose.com

moezbud Oct 6th, 2008 05:22 AM

Spirobulldog -
You've been helping me out with an Alaska itinerary - and now I see that you're taking a trip we know well. We went to Zion 2 summers ago - kids were 11 & 13. We hiked Angels Landing (all the way) - unbelievable!!! We also did the Narrows. Get walking sticks and good shoes. Take it all the way to the back - and there's a waterfall. My husband was our "mule" - carried a backpack with water and powerbars for all. In general, I don't really like powerbars - but boy did they come in handy. Those are two long hikes. We also did Emerald Pools - it was nice. We saw a rattle snake within the first 5 minutes and there was an avalanche of sorts. (It was an exciting first night hike.) The view of the Virgin River is awesome though. Enjoy your trip.

danen5 Oct 7th, 2008 04:36 PM

Thanks for all the ZION tips . SO -I guess we should look at Rockville Rose or other accomodations in Springdale rather than the Ponderosa?? Are there any other tried and true lodgings that can be recommended? We (3 couples ) are driving in from Las Vegas, and will
be in the park for 2 1/2 dys. Hiking --Angels Landing and the Emerald Pools? Thanks again for tips.

Dayle Oct 7th, 2008 05:11 PM

danen5,

If not camping, I like to stay at the Novel House, a B&B right in back of Zion Pizza & Noodle. Ross and Norma are very nice hosts, and gather some great guests to chat with at buffet style breakfast. rooms are very cozy and large.

Desert Pearl is very good, but probably the most expensive in town. River view rooms are most desirable and more $$.

Zion Park Inn is a nice, typical BW with a really nice pool area and lawn out back on the river. Very good restaurant, The Switchback Grill.

Flanigan's is also supposed to be very good. I haven't stayed there personally.

I've also stayed at the Canyon View B&B, nice rooms, but not so great location and yard.

Hope this helps!

endless_journey Oct 7th, 2008 09:28 PM

We went to Zion and Bryce in the same trip. It was a great one. Dont miss theese two trails (moderate to strenuous), but unique in their own way.

Angels Landing
Narrows

We stayed at Canyon Ranch Motel and loved it. Its just 1/2 mile from the park entrance. In Springdale, UT. You can browse the small shops in this place for souvenirs and artifacts.

Some good pictures and reviews for this place are in below links.

http://tripladder.com/reviews/read_r...p;review_id=48

http://tripladder.com/reviews/read_r...;review_id=112

http://tripladder.com/reviews/read_r...p;review_id=49

enzian Oct 8th, 2008 08:17 AM

Combining Angel's Landing with lower Emerald Pool makes for a nice hike---you start out with a walk on a ledge trail behind a (barely flowing) waterfall above the pool, then connect with the trail to Angel's landing. It adds one mile in each direction (but you need only do it on the way up if you like).

Start at Zion Lodge rather than the Grotto. Cross the bridge and turn right onto the path marked "Lower Emerald Pool" and others. After you have passed the pool (and enjoyed the spectacular views of the rock), you'll see a trail to the right signed "to the Grotto". You can either take that one to connect to the Angel's Landing trail, or go left up the steps and take the next tail on the right, which is the Kayenta trail. It starts higher but drops down to meet the Angel's Landing trail.

If you have a map you'll see how all this works.

Angel's Landing of itself is a half-day hike or less, unless you spend a LOT of time sitting at the top. So this extention makes a nice addition. On the way down, you can return to the Grotto and take the shuttle from there.

danen5 Oct 8th, 2008 09:53 AM

Has anyone stayed at the Majestic View lodge or Cable Mtn Lodge?? These surely seem a better location that the Pioneer. I'm also checking out the recommended Flanigans. thanks ---what a trip to look forward to!

taconictraveler Oct 8th, 2008 10:24 AM

danen5: I can only talk about Flanigan's but I would agree that it was a great place to stay. We were at Zion in the first week of December a couple of years ago, so we could drive in and then hike from a more central spot. Flanigan's was so comfortable, with everything you need, tho' not fancy. (a nice change from Vegas) and the food at the restaurant in front was great, with good wines. I'll never forget waking up the first morning, and walking out on our balcony. (We had arrived after dark.) I looked up at the most fabulous red rocks, shooting straight up in the air. For me, Zion beats Sedona. You will have a great time.