Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Zion Hike Recommendation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/zion-hike-recommendation-785427/)

jssmith1978 May 19th, 2009 12:24 PM

Zion Hike Recommendation

I'm going to Zion in a few days and would looking for an awesome hike idea. I only have about 1.5 to 2 days to explore. The only stipulation is that the hike can't exceed 10 hrs round trip. Maybe some of you know of a couple hikes that are 4-6 hrs a piece. I want to get a chance to see the most dramatic views possible and get the biggest bang for my buck.

I am also driving through the park so I can explore other areas.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

enzian May 19th, 2009 01:09 PM

You could do the 2 most popular (and amazing) hikes in Zion in one day: Angel's Landing, and then the Narrows (from the bottom of the canyon up as far as you feel like going).

voyagefemme May 21st, 2009 02:24 PM

I would recommend Angel's Landing as long as you're not afraid of heights. It is a beautiful view from the top and is a good calorie burner. The Narrows is also nice, but be sure to check the weather forecast before you go. It is notorious for flash floods during the spring. Another beautiful hike is the one to the Emerald pools though it is much shorter (but worth it). Whatever you do, you'll love it. Zion's NP has some amazing scenery and is one of my favorite places to visit.

elnap29 May 21st, 2009 03:54 PM

The hike to Observation Point is awesome, even if you don't go all the way to the top. I think it is about 8 hrs. round-trip for a slower hiker like me. When you get to the park, you will be given a guide with the most popular hikes listed and with estimated time allowances. This will help you decide. If the weather is good, you will enjoy hiking until it gets dark. Some people can be seen hiking with flashlights.

KenInPA May 21st, 2009 07:04 PM

Jss...We are going to ZNP in June and I found this AMAZING site with tons of hike descriptions....
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/allhikes.cfm

curmudgeon May 21st, 2009 08:32 PM

The narrows will depend on water levels; when we were there two weeks ago, the river was way over the limit for where they allow hikers (I was quite disappointed, but I could definitely see why it would have been unsafe).

The subway hike in the north of the park might be worth considering; though you need a wilderness permit for that one, even for day hikes.

bee_man May 21st, 2009 08:45 PM

Narrows Definetly, Bring a walking stick you'll need it. I would also bring neopreen socks the water is snow run off and very cold in the spring. You will be walking in the river 50% of the time. Others can correct me but, I think 8 hours will get you to the falls and back.

voyagefemme May 22nd, 2009 06:16 AM

It looks like the Narrows is what most people recommend, but be careful. I live in Utah and last night the weathermen predicted flash floods this weekend in slot canyons (i.e. the Narrows).

CarolM May 22nd, 2009 06:24 AM

Yes, check the conditions on the Narrows, and if you want to rent equipment, check out www.zionadventures.com (Zion Adventure Company). They have all kinds of info on their site about hiking the narrows, and more. If you're interested, they offer guided rappells in the area slot canyons... i did this a couple years ago, and it was hands-down the most memorable day of my life. very cool!

OO May 22nd, 2009 06:40 AM

Lots of bang for your buck on Angels Landing...I prefer that to the Narrows. Even if you have a fear of heights, you can still go to just past "Walter's Wiggles" on the Angels Landing hike and get some pretty spectacular views and a sense of accomplishment.

I like the Hidden Canyon hike as well...some scrambling at the end, but it's really beautiful in there and not many others go to the end, so it's peaceful.