zion, bryce,grand canyon, and sedona

Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

zion, bryce,grand canyon, and sedona

im heading to the grand canyon area at the end of june/july of 2010 with 3 children ages 18-23 (2 boys and a girl). I have wanted to do this trip for a long time. ...i am flying into St. George, staying at the Zion Best Western for 2 nights then heading to Bryce Canyon staying at the Best Western there for 1 night. Then its off to the Grand Canyon for 2 nights staying at the Bright Angel cabins... then to Sedona for 2 nights at the Matterhorn. I decided to fly out of phoenix to come home. Im looking for some nice ideas to do with my children hoping that it will be a trip we will all remember. I am told that the mule rides in Bryce are great and the helicopter ride at the canyon is good also. The pink jeep ride in Sedona seems like a good choice also. Im just looking for suggestions..such as restaurants, stop areas, etc...im calling this our "adventure trip"....and hoping that i will not get too burnt out from the ride from Bryce Canyon to the Grand Canyon...looking forward to all your suggestions. thanks
Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM

Your plans sound like fun so far. I would check out the sleeping arrangements at Bright Angel cabins, when we were there we had a nice little cabin with one queen bed and not much room for a cot or anything, so if you got one like that, as long as you and the kids will share beds, that will work and it is great to be there for sunrise/sunset. In GC, the dining places are all run by Xanterra. There is a nice resturaunt in el Tovar (need reservations there) and an couple of more casual ones in the Bright Angle lodge area and a cafeteria in the Yavapai area. If you check other threads here you will get lots of advice on places to eat at the other places.

Have a great trip
Oct 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM

Bryce-Hike Queens Garden/Navjo Loop
Ride mules

Zion- Hike The Narrows Hike Angels Landing
Get a guide with Zion Adventure Company and do
Canyoneering

Grand Canyon- Hike a ways down into the Canyon
Take a helicopter tour
Oct 23rd, 2009, 01:37 PM

i hit some of these destinations this past may. in addition to spiro's reccs, i'd try and do the narrows hike in zion. in that area, the best restaurant i tried was the bit and spur. if it's helpful, here are my notes re: my trip
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-zion-trip.cfm
Oct 23rd, 2009, 02:13 PM

SEDONA.
There is a place called airport lookout - or something similar - on the way to that small Sedona airport - go there to watch sunset, and if you can wake up, sunrise. It's a 2nd parking lot, not the 1st (you need park pass to park at the 1st place). Make sure you have a warm jacket!

Our children took a helicopter flight - don't know how much, it's a 15' flight, they loved it! It goes between the mountains, over the area.

The younger couple went for 1 hr horse riding. They said, it's an interesting experience.

Do go up to that catholic church (you don't have to go inside) it's up on a mountain, bring a camera with 1,000,000 photo capacity If you don't want to walk up, there is a golf cart, the driver only expects tips, otherwise free.
Oct 23rd, 2009, 04:04 PM

The sunrise / sunset view from airport mesa is what was suggested, and we did just that on or trip last week. If you go for a sunrise, it is only about 1/4 mile more to the airport cafe, a nice place for a filling breakfast.

In Sedona, Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour. You and the kids also might enjoy the Verde Canyon Railroad trip. The Chapel of the Holy Cross is the church, and definitely go there. I am not a religious person, but it is a very moving place, and supposedly one of the vortex locations.

You might also want to take a trip to Jerome, and the kids will love the shop with nothing but kaleidoscopes.
Oct 24th, 2009, 03:11 AM

I went to the airport for sunset (this is a vortex site) and wasn't too impressed as I had been to the Crescent Moon picnic area for sunset the evening before.

The view of Cathedral Rock with Oak Creek in between is absolutely amazing. As the sun goes down Cathedral Rock turns a bright orange. This is a vortex site. I was there on a Saturday evening and saw four weddings taking place.

You can take a nice short hike to another vortex site with amazing views. At the start of the Boynton Canyon hike take the cutoff to the Vista Trail (not the actual Canyon hike).

If you haven't heard of Vortexes (or Vortices) you can do an internet search of Sedona and vortex.

I second the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour. I hiked it and as the jeeps passed me I could see they were having fun. It was also amusing to watch the drivers terrorize the passengers at the cliff edges. I wasn't sure if the yelling was fear or enjoyment. They had smiles on their faces.