Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Zion and Bryce...Am I Wasting My Time? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/zion-and-bryce-am-i-wasting-my-time-194280/)

lucille Oct 4th, 2001 06:49 PM

Zion and Bryce...Am I Wasting My Time?

I am attending a convention in Las Vegas next spring. I have heard such great things about Zion and Bryce that I thought I would like to include them. I was thinking about flying into Flagstaff on a Thursday afternoon, spending the night with my sister, then leaving early the next morning for Bryce Canyon. I would spend Friday night there, and then leave for Zion on Saturday afternoon. I would spend Saturday night in Zion and then leave for Las Vegas Sunday afternoon. Question: Am I wasting my time trying to do too much in too short of a time? My sister plans on moving from Flagstaff next summer, and I'm not sure that I will ever get another chance to see this area of the country again. Well?

Paul Rabe Oct 5th, 2001 04:08 AM

Your itinerary would give you enough time to see the highlights of these two places. You won't have time for major hiking in either place, but at least you'll know what's there in case you'd want to return. You are NEVER wasting your time by going to see such beautiful places, even if only for a few hours apiece.

cg Oct 5th, 2001 04:55 AM

Lucy - <BR> <BR>I've taken a few trips that involved short stops at Bryce and Zion. It's not the best way to see the parks in-depth, but you can certainly see the highlights and get a good taste of them. If you don't think you'll make it back there, you should definitely do it! <BR> <BR>One night at each park will give you plenty of time to see the highlights. Do the drives through, and stop and take short hikes at each of the parking stops. Be sure to stop at the visitor's center and gets maps first - you can plan your hikes from there. In Zion you can see a lot from the road (I'd also recommend the hike up to the Emerald Pools). In Bryce, you can see a lot from the overlooks and get a more intimate taste by taking a short hike down into the canyon. <BR> <BR>Of course, it's always nice to have longer in the parks, but I've done the whirlwind tours and had a great time that way as well. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

J T Kirk Oct 5th, 2001 06:12 AM

I echo the sentiments of the posters above. To me, it's great just driving through that part of the country. it's absolutely breathtaking. Even if you can't get out "into it" you will see some wonderful sights. The hoo-doos at Bryce will stay in my mind forever.

Judi Oct 5th, 2001 06:56 AM

Lucille, it is just drop dead gorgeous at Bryce and Zion. I don't think you will regret spending time there.

RB Oct 5th, 2001 08:46 AM

If it's considered "wasting time" looking at the beauty of these two sites, then I've blown some major minutes! Definitely take advantage of the proximity and see these places. I bet it will whet your appetite to return for a longer visit. If you can, catch sunrise at Sunrise Point at Bryce, and definitely do one of the short hikes at Zion, such as the previously-suggested Emerald Pools. Enjoy your trip!

OliveOyl Oct 5th, 2001 08:54 AM

Has anyone done the Angels Landing Trail at Zion and if so, how bad is it? If you were slightly acrophobic do you think you could handle it?

Dayle Oct 5th, 2001 09:40 AM

Olive, I did the Angels Landing hike a few years ago. For your fram of reference I am a frequent hiker/backpacker at high altitude. This hike is strenuous. It starts out mildly enough, then there are a series of very steep switchbacks known as "Walter's Wiggles". They actually sell posters & postcards of this part of the hike. (Great butt-firming exercise due to steepness!) Most people stop at a point where you can really enjoy the view. The serious hikers continue on to the very top which requires crossing a section (approximately 3 feet wide, 10 foot long) with a 1,000 ft. straight drop on both sides. A chain handrail is in place. Once past this, the trail is quit steep and narrow. NOT for those with a fear of heights. If you are in decent shape & carry LOTS of water & some snacks, you'll enjoy it. Start early in the day, wear your sunscreen and a hat at any time of the year, carry at least a light jacket or windbreaker. The part of the hike after the narrow spot is the only time in my life I experienced dizziness from heights. You should just see how you feel & stop whenever common sense dictates. This said, the view is worth it!

OliveOyl Oct 5th, 2001 10:24 AM

Thanks for you frank observation Dayle. Your description of the 10'x3' section, very much answers my question. Steep I can handle, not narrow. My stomach turned just reading what you said. I'll have to get my kicks from the postcard. A friend did make it to the landing, but she has also climbed Kilimanjaro and a multi-day hike to Machu Picchu so I took what she said with a big grain of salt! :O

RB Oct 5th, 2001 01:50 PM

Olive Oyl, Dayle is correct in assessment. If you'd like to do a portion of the hike, Walter's Wiggles would allow you to do some interesting switchbacks and come to what I call the "approach" to Angels' Landing, where you can stop and watch hikers as they ascend the steeper trail. I have about your level of concern about heights- thankfully, an experienced hiker went up with me and talked me over the hairiest parts of the climb. Don't think I would have made it to the apex if he had not been along. I think the Observation Point hike gives just as good a view, and it didn't give me the jitters as did Angels Landing. Hope this helps.

Dayle Oct 5th, 2001 02:57 PM

Thanks guys! I didn't mean to discourage you from going. The hike up until the narrow section (which is past the Observation Point) shouldn't cause you any problems and is well worth doing!

OliveOyl Oct 6th, 2001 05:15 AM

No, Dayle, that is exactly what I needed to hear. We have limited time so need to plan our hikes accordingly and that might not be the hike for us. RB, the competitive side of me doesn't let me do "stop and watch *others* ascend"! LOL Congratualtions on having made it. Know it must have felt great to have conquered the fear. I think I'll stick with the Observation Point hike! <BR> <BR>These boards are great. Thanks for your input. May be back later with more questions. We plan on going over Thanksgiving. Any tips on places to stay, two nights each park?

emma Oct 6th, 2001 09:51 AM

It is so beautiful there that I agree, just driving around was an experience I wouldn't miss. I was so happy to GET OUT of Las Vegas and see that big blue sky and red rocks I can't tell you. Have fun.

Patrick Oct 6th, 2001 06:28 PM

We just spent a little time last week in Zion (one night) and Bryce (two nights, but with a drive down to the Grand Canyon North Rim for lunch between the two stays. I would highly recommend the half day (really a little over 3 1/2 hours) horse ride in Bryce. There is simply no better way to experience the canyon. You'll swear that Clint Eastwood or the Lone Ranger is ready to pop out at you around every turn. I haven't done the Angel's Landing hike, but I'd heartily suggest the simple but steep Weeping Rock hike at Zion, and the hike that includes the various pools that starts across from the lodge.

Dayle Oct 8th, 2001 08:45 AM

Olive, if you are planning for Thanksgiving, get your reservations right away. Zion is very popular for holiday weekends throught the year - even New Years! Bryce should be lower demand. It's at 8000 ft. and may have some snow by then. But also, Bryce has less lodging available than Zion. Bryce is gorgeous with the snow on the hoodoos!

OliveOyl Oct 8th, 2001 09:11 AM

Thanks Dayle...I'm anxious to get it all done too! Am trying to co-ordinate this trip to include our adults kids as well, one in Phoenix and one in Dallas, and lighting the necessary fires can be problematic..."can you fly, can you fly then, if not when, how long can you stay, can we get comp rooms at Hyatt LV then and will you check please, DH". But you at least helped light a fire under me and I'll see if I can't get everyone moving. So, thanks, Dayle. I had already been feeling uneasy about that aspect.