Your travel pictures - photo editing software

Feb 27th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Your travel pictures - photo editing software

What program are you using? I'm trying to decide on a simple inexpensive software. Any personal preferences and recommendations? Nothing complicated. Thank you
Feb 27th, 2006, 06:54 AM

it really depends on how much you want to do. I use Jasc PaintShop Pro. Its a little expensive and a little complex. I'm not crazy about it, but I thought it would be easier than Photoshop.

If all you want to do is simple edits..image resizing and cropping red eye, color balance, and so on, you migh check out picasa. It's free from Google, and quite simple. I use if it for organizing my photos, doing some basic fixes and enhancements, then uploading them to one of the printing websites (shutterfly, snapfish, etc).
Feb 27th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Gimp is a free download. It is full feature editor like Photoshop.

Though I don't begin to know and use everything it has available, I've been using it for a couple of years and I'm happy with it.

Doing some things might be complicated, but but cropping, straightening, resizing, lightening, etc are a snap and you can learn them in a few minutes.

Keith
Feb 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cat and Keith. Your suggestions are very helpful.
Feb 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Microsoft Photo Editor is a nice little quickie that's generally included with MS Word, or Office. It's not installed by default--you have to find it on CD and install it. The program is a bit dated now, though--I find it still useful with my 2M Nikon. It also works with scanners.

Microsoft Picture-It is more robust, and still quite simple to use. It's surprisingly good, in spite of its simplicity.

And then there's Irfanview. Free. Quite powerful, with excellent capabilities and it's relatively simple.
Feb 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM

I love Arc PhotoSoft. It either came with my Olympus digi camera, or with my computer -- can't remember, but it's super-easy to use and has a pretty impressive amount of features!