Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Your thoughts on Death Valley, CA in late Feb or March (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/your-thoughts-on-death-valley-ca-in-late-feb-or-march-297621/)

annetti Feb 3rd, 2008 05:00 PM

Your thoughts on Death Valley, CA in late Feb or March

I've lived in California for years, but have never made the trek to Death Valley. My husband has never been particularly enthusiastic, however he has agreed to try it. I am thinking of 3 nights. We will be driving from Long Beach. I could not map quest it for some reason. Is it a particularly long ride (more than 6 hrs?) and is it hard for those easily subject to motion sickness?

Is there enough to keep us occupied? We're not golf players or people who sit by a pool, but pretty vistas please us as do some light hiking.

What about places to eat besides the pricey Furnace Creek Inn?

Yes, we found a room at the Ranch; but if I wait too long to make up my mind, it may not be available!!

Any thoughts you have will be appreciated. Thank you.

cabovacation Feb 3rd, 2008 06:11 PM

That is a great time to go to Death Valley. and with all the rain this year you will probably get a good sighting of wild flowers!

Death Valley is for hikers and nature lovers, unless you just want to veg out at Furnace Creek, which is fine, too.

I haven't been there is several years....so I can't recall any other restaurants.

I don't think the ride is difficult - just boring.

annetti Feb 3rd, 2008 06:26 PM

Thank you, Cabovacation. Any idea how long that "boring" ride takes?

easytraveler Feb 3rd, 2008 06:40 PM

to get directions

Go into Google and type in "Death Valley Ca map"

when the small map appears, click on that.

when the larger map appears, click on "get directions"

Under the start point, type in "Long Beach, Ca"

google gives you about 6 hours.

TheWeasel Feb 3rd, 2008 06:40 PM

Yahoo maps shows it as 4h 45min coming in through the west side on 190. Otherwise, it shows about 5.5 hours coming from the south (I-15 to 127).

annetti Feb 3rd, 2008 06:55 PM

Thank you, Easytraveler and TheWeasel. Anyone know if motion sickness would be a problem for the very sensitive?

spirobulldog Feb 4th, 2008 03:33 AM

We went to DV for the first time last month. If you like to hike there is plenty to keep you busy for 3 days. If you take a high clearance 4 wheel drive be sure and drive Titus Canyon and Racetrack Playa. There are two other restaurants at Furnace Creek Ranch that are less than the Inn. I would suggest picnicing a couple of times while there. I would also suggest dining once at Furnace Creek Inn. It was very good. There is a good picnic area at Scotty's Castle. You might want to hike to Darwin Falls. Click on my name and you can get my trip report from about a month ago. You will get to see flowers, which we didn't get to. Even though you don't sit by the pool, you might want to experience theirs for an hour, because it is unique in the fact that it is springfed and unchlorinated. Lodging at the ranch is just basic, but it is good after a day of hiking. That is where we stayed also. There is a store at the ranch so you can restock your supplies if you need to. We found DV very interesting and unusual place to visit. It is just a wierd place, but pretty in many spots. One of those places you should see at least once.

annetti Feb 4th, 2008 03:05 PM

Thank you, Spirobulldog for your thoughtful reply. I tried to find your travel report, but could not. Do you remember the title, if so it might be easier when I scroll down your list of responses? Thanks.

RBCal Feb 4th, 2008 03:07 PM

The restaurant at the Furnace Creek Ranch is not that expensive.

The only other place besides the Inn is Stovepipe Wells (about 20-30 miles away).

annetti Feb 4th, 2008 05:54 PM

Thank you, RBCal.

spirobulldog Feb 4th, 2008 06:46 PM

If you click on my name it is #89 right now. That could change by a few #'s the next couple of days.

annetti Feb 4th, 2008 07:13 PM

It was #89. Thank you. I enjoyed reading it and the information was great!

annetti Feb 4th, 2008 07:16 PM

Can anyone help me with information about the ride. We have a traveller with us who has serious problems with motion sickness in a car. Is there a lot of twisty roads and deep descents? Going up and down steep hills frequently brings on her queasiness and the resulting motion illness. Thank you.

curmudgeon Feb 4th, 2008 09:07 PM

I've only been there once, but I would say that the road to the west (190) was definitely somewhat winding and steep. The road from Baker in the south would be easier for someone prone to motion sickness.

cabovacation Feb 4th, 2008 10:28 PM

I don't recall windy or hilly roads. Perhaps you can go to Google Earth and see a map.

franny Feb 4th, 2008 10:30 PM

Hi Annetti!

Death Vallley is one of my favorite places and February/March is great time to go.

I would recommend taking the road from Baker (127) instead of 190. My husband and I took 190 a month ago and it is steep and curvy in places.

For meals, it is a national park so the choices are limited. The Wrangler Steakhouse at the Ranch is nice. This spot turns into a decent buffet at breakfast/lunch. There is also a coffee shop that is adequate. There's a nice restaurant at Stovepipe Wells, which I have gone to for breakfast and lunch. You can also get a burger type lunch at the golf course.
I haven't eaten at the Inn.

Some of my favorite activities: sunrise at Zabriskie Point or Dante's View. Sunset at Zabriskie Point. Hike Golden Canyon. The first part of Golden Canyon is fairly easy. Salt Creek Trail, which is a very easy trail with a boardwalk. Also Badwater and the Devil's Golfcourse are great spots. These are just a few of the places I love.

The rangers at the visitor center will have a lot of other great suggestions for easy hikes and great vistas. My main recommendation for Death Valley is to see it at sunrise at least once and sunset every night! The rangers have a great list of places to view sunrise/sunset.

Have a great trip!

mlgb Feb 5th, 2008 10:06 AM

Hi Annetti. You can avoid the twisty parts of Route 190 if you go via Ridgecrest (178) taking it east via Trona, then Panamint Valley Road north to the 190.

Quite a scenic road in that part in my opinion. You can also use the back way via 190 to 127, Baker etc.
What I've done is go in one way and exit the other. I spend the night before in Ridgecrest and there are lots of place to eat there as opposed to on the other side.

annetti Feb 5th, 2008 06:22 PM

Thank you, Curmudgeon,Cabovacation, Franny and mlgb! The queasy stomach in my family thanks you, too for the road advice!

210 Feb 6th, 2008 10:50 AM

You can find great information right here
www.nps.gov/deva

annetti Feb 6th, 2008 05:36 PM

Thank you, 210. That's a great website.