Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Your longest uninterrupted trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/your-longest-uninterrupted-trip-989686/)

Improviser Aug 25th, 2013 07:33 AM

Your longest uninterrupted trip

This is a World question, not a USA question.

What is the longest time you have travelled without interruption? For the purposes of the question, 'uninterrupted' is defined as not stopping anywhere for more than 3 months. It allows for a few months spent following the grape harvest in France or picking fruit in Australia for example. Beyond 3 months I think it is reasonable to say you are no longer travelling but instead are living in a place. Hence the cut off at 3 months.

abram Aug 25th, 2013 11:45 AM

The one we're on now--left home July 29 for Ireland and Northern Ireland, will get home Sept 2.

Hershey Aug 25th, 2013 02:36 PM

I travelled solo to 26 states and Canada for 6 months. The longest stay was in Detroit for 6 weeks where I worked a temp job to make money for the rest of the trip. I was 26 and loved it.

spirobulldog Aug 25th, 2013 03:57 PM

Several between 2 and 3 weeks. Most of our trips now are 4 to 5 days a few times a year. We use to do just one vacation a year.

schmerl Aug 25th, 2013 06:00 PM

Thirteen and a half weeks traveling through England and Europe when I was 21. Long ago and far away!

panecott Aug 26th, 2013 07:46 AM

My first trip to Europe eons ago - 8 weeks of visiting all the places I'd dreamed of seeing all my life.

Rastaguytoday Aug 26th, 2013 08:53 PM

The editors killed his European post with the same title.

Glad they did.

Peter_S_Aus Aug 26th, 2013 09:38 PM

The thing I don’t get is that they killed the European thread around mid-night, New York time. I wonder who has their finger on the yellow triangle of doom at that time.

suze Aug 27th, 2013 07:57 AM

Hey wasn't me, I'd rather see things stand so everyone can read the personal slams and mr superiority attitude.

On the other hand, this thread with the same question's got nothing going on.

Improviser Aug 27th, 2013 08:19 AM

Brilliant observation suze. Now why do you suppose it has nothing going on? Not enough readers on the USA sub-forum? Or not enough people who have done any lengthy travel beyond the 2 week annual vacation? LOL

Tell me Peter_S, disregarding any personal feelings you might have on the content of the post, do you actually think there was anything that warranted deleting it? Are you comfortable with such heavy censorship of what is written? It may have caused some controversy, but did anything in it actually contravene the terms of use and warrant deleting the entire post? What did it threaten other than the status quo?

Now consider this Peter_S. On some posts I have been more than rude even by my own standards. On many threads I have more than annoyed some regulars including yourself. I've done it consistently according to people like suze. (Who conveniently ignores those posts where I have simply given an answer to a specific travel question.) Is it not beyond belief that I have not yet been banned from the Forum? Have I not taken enough rope to hang myself yet?

So some of my more pointed comments get removed and posts I start that become controversial get deleted completely, yet I don't get banned. WHY?

I'm off travelling on Thursday, my time here will end. Things will go back to 'normal'. Sad isn't it.

michele_d Aug 27th, 2013 08:30 AM

< Sad isn't it.>

not really

suze Aug 27th, 2013 08:39 AM

<<yet I don't get banned. WHY?>>

Because just being obnoxious doesn't break any forum posting guidelines.

thursdaysd Aug 27th, 2013 09:34 AM

"Now why do you suppose it has nothing going on? "

Because enough of us are boycotting this poster (I'm not addressing him directly).

michele_d Aug 27th, 2013 09:45 AM

I think us 'middle-aged women' should boycott him too...wait I have to go to the shopping mall now, I'll post more 'inane' comments later!

suze Aug 27th, 2013 09:55 AM

"toddle"... toddle off to the shopping mall, michele_d!

michele_d Aug 27th, 2013 10:26 AM

thanks suze...toddle...must remember that.

"I have to toddle off to the shopping mall now".

Is it Thursday yet???

suze Aug 27th, 2013 10:46 AM

What has been making me laugh is our friend is a LOT older than "middle aged" himself.

Because when I talked about slightly off the beaten path travel I did in the early 70's to Negril... his answer was, oh that's nothing, you aren't ahead of the curve, you should have been there in the 50's.

To which I explained my Mom wouldn't let me go to Jamaica alone when I was in kindergarten! That's my favorite story from this poster (it was deleted).

thursdaysd Aug 27th, 2013 11:03 AM

Of course suze, your point is based on the idea that Improv is actually truthful. We have no reason to assume that s/he is any such thing.

suze Aug 27th, 2013 11:04 AM

Why would someone pretend to be an old man?

thursdaysd Aug 27th, 2013 11:15 AM

Why would anyone choose to be obnoxious?