California Coastal Drive

Search

California Coastal Drive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Coastal Drive

After visiting napa/sonoma we need to get to LA. I can fly and given check in/out, return rental car it takes almost all day.

Or we could drive the coast. I hear it's a long drive to go all the way from SF to LA. What the best part of the Coast drive. Is it practical to drive part of the way on the coast and jump over to The 5 to get into LA? thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM

The part of the coast that has the really dramatic views is between Monterey and Cambria - the Big Sur coast. If you get an early start, you can do the drive and see Big Sur in the same day. However it will be a long day and you wont have much time for stops. There aren't any public roads from the coast along Big Sur to the inland highways - so one you head down, you are commited to doing the whole thing.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:09 AM

I would not attempt to drive it in one day. If you attempt it on a work day, you will hit very heavy commute traffic heading into San Francisco from Napa, and also leaving San Francisco. It could easily be a 5 to 5 1/2 hr drive just to Carmel.

You may also hit commute traffic in LA - but I suspect that you would get there so late in the day that it would be after commute hours.

This is a trip that should take 2 overnights - at least. Two overnights in the Carmel/Monterey area, 1 overnight in San Simeon/Cambria.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Ive done the Sf to LA drive via the coast many times in one day, but coming from sonoma makes the coast trip unpractical for mere mortals unless you want to spend the night somewhere. Because once you get on the 1, you pretty much have to stick with it all the way to the 101 then to LA. One year due to traffic I tried to cut over around San Luis Obispo(big mistake) to the 5. It turned out no faster and more hassle.

Unless you approach the coast drive as part of your vacation, take the 5 straight down.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Which airport are you planning on flying out of?

The drive from Sonoma/Napa to LA is about a 12-15 hour drive via the coast and could be longer, depending on the traffic.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

We'll either find two days and drive the coast or take the 5. Thanks to all.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM

I was thinking David was coming from SF rather than Sonoma, so yeah, I think the drive in 1 day would be too much for mere mortals, as already mentioned.