Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Your favorite restaurant in the Carmel and Monterey area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying in Pebble Beach in a condo for 4 days in June and would like suggestions for nice places to eat for dinners. It has been years since I have been down there. Is the Carmel Mission Ranch a must do? Also, do you have any favorite local "hangouts" that are off the tourist radar screen? Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:29 PM
kdm

Casanova was recommended when I did a post 2 years ago an really enjoyed the food, maybe you can do a search to see its current rating. Denise
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Cee

Monterey Fish House -- not fancy, but great fresh fish, mussels, shellfish, etc. It's always packed -- call ahead. (831-373-4647)
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:36 AM

Passionfish. Great food, wines at retail prices, but service can be spotty. Also, grasings in carmel is excellent as well.
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Roy's is a must! We just had a wonderful dinner there a few weeks ago. Try to hear the bagpiper play.

We also really enjoyed the White House in PG. We tried Passionfish, but something about the place just didn't cut it.

We also enjoy Schooner's Bistro at the Plaza and at the Highland's Inn, Pacific's Edge and the Califoria Market are both excellent.

I've also heard good things about a place called Stokes in Monterey and Fresh Cream. ***kim***
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:15 AM
E

I'm getting pretty dull on this subject, as I always recommend the same places, but hey, they're our favorites! I love Monterey's Fish House, too; Sea Harvest is great for a very casual meal, as their seafood is the freshest; Gianni's Pizza makes my fave pie in the area; Taste (in PG) is reliably good and always packed; Pasta Mia (also in PG) is good, and has a charming atmosphere; Montrio in downtown Monterey; Rio Grill in Carmel Highlands; Ghirardelli on Cannery Row for decadent shakes. Enjoy your stay!
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:24 AM

I second the votes for Pacific's Edge (below Highlands Inn, Carmel -- and Sunday brunch there, to), as well as Roy's (Inn at Spanish Bay on 17 Mile Drive).

And The Old Bath House (Lover's Point, Pacific Grove). Very local cuisine, including some game offerings. They may still have their "early bird" dinner menu -- fine dining, at won't-break-the-bank prices:
http://www.critics-choice.com/restaurants/bath/

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Yes, the Old Bath House is very nice with beautiful views. In PG we recently discovered The White House, you can get a prix fixe meal for only $29 which is really good. The food is outstanding with service to match. ***kim***
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:03 PM

Another Monterey Fish House fan but it's nothing fancy. Stokes Adobe used to be very good but has fallen, imho, over the years. Definitely have at least at drink at Pacifc Edge.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:52 PM

I agree that Pacific's Edge is a great choice. Fresh Cream is fantastic. I also recently had dinner at Stokes and thought it was quite good for a more casual meal - and the service was great.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Follow the link to see what the locals think.
http://www.coastweekly.com/bestof/2004/
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys for the suggestions and the links. Can't wait to go!
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:14 PM

It's farther south...in Big Sur, but it's worth it! You absolutely must go to the Sierra Mar Restaurant at Post Ranch Inn. The food is fabulous, but it's all about the view! Go to their website www.postranchinn.com and you'll be sold. Make reservations and get there in time for the sunset. At the very least, go there for lunch and sit out on the deck. Just writing about it makes me want to go back!
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Hi Abby97! What is good to order at Stokes, I may have to try it next time for a casual lunch. ***kim***
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:54 PM
SAB

Ask 12 people get 12 different opinions-- I really like Passionfish and the Old Bath House didn't impress me much. Also recommend the White House, Grasings, the Monterey Fish House, Roy's.
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:01 PM

Kim - I really liked the tapas taster platter, but it's only for two or more, so you'd have to order it with someone else. The polenta with mushrooms was fantastic, as was the corn bisque. Oh, and the potato fritters. So good!!
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:01 PM

jewelhawg: I gotta say, your name intrigues me, are you in the business or a collector--just curious.

Agree with you 100% about Sierra Mar--it's a "must-do" in Big Sur. Lunch would be easiest for most non-guests. The food's great, but let's face it, anything would taste good with a view this fantastic. If you like duck pizza and it's still available, go for it! Their wine collection is astounding, and they'll sell you any bottle of wine available at the restaurant. Prime time is mid-September through mid-October--enjoy!
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:32 PM

Kim: re: Stokes, it's been a while, but I remember we shared a few small plates too, simple pleasures like duck salad (my hubby loves it), maybe some char-grilled veggies and lots of good wine--that's probably why I don't remember more.

I would visit Stokes for the history alone. It was the hub of social life in Old Monterrey in early California times. Legend has it that the place is haunted. We discovered it just as Gallatin's (as it was called years ago), closed. Fantastic meal! After talking with the bartender about the hauntings, he gave us a huge box of black and pink cocktail napkins that we still have a few of, which say: "Gallatin's--halfway between the hospital and the jail", which it is. Very colorful history. Lore has it that "the woman in white", one of the previous owner's ghost has been seen walking downstairs, afterhours. If you can, go at night. Legend has it that her husband was buried out back. I'm not making this up! LOL!! Enjoy this delicious historial landmark!
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:11 PM

And I do like PassionFish.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Winerycat~
My name is Juli and "jewelhawg" is just a silly nickname my husband gave me many years ago. And, yes, I love jewelry, but it has nothing to do with my nickname! I'm not a "hog" either...it has nothing to do with motorcycles or weight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -