Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Your favorite museum(s) - art, science, history, etc? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/your-favorite-museum-s-art-science-history-etc-332672/)

BrimhamRocks Jul 1st, 2003 12:14 AM

Your favorite museum(s) - art, science, history, etc?

Just a poll.....

Everyone's always asking about fave hotels and restaurants. I'd like to know what your favorite museum is.

SuzieTrue Jul 1st, 2003 04:19 AM

The Cleveland Museum of Art. The best place for two college students to go for a date.

gc Jul 1st, 2003 04:23 AM

Smithsonian Air & Space, a synthesis of art, science and the human spirit.

Nothing else even comes close

Ryan Jul 1st, 2003 04:32 AM

The d'Orsay in Paris for its collection of Impressionist paintings, the view of the Paris skyline from the top floor clock-face and the beaux arts era building.

In the US, it would be the Met Museum of Art in NY. During my single days,one of my favorite summer time date spots was drinks on the rooftop sculture garden (with view of Central Park) and some time spent in the 20th century wing and the Temple of Dendoor.

dln Jul 1st, 2003 04:46 AM

Without a moment's hesitation, my choice is the American Museum of Natural History in Central Park, New York City.

It made a lasting impression on my childhood. Fascinating place.

BuzzyJ Jul 1st, 2003 05:33 AM

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, in the Fenway area of Boston.

Tiiimeisonmyside Jul 1st, 2003 05:43 AM

Lovely butterfly museum in Houston - they are all alive and I hear a lot of kids refer to them as flutterbys.

Scarlett Jul 1st, 2003 05:44 AM

OMG- BB !! Could that be true?? I use the word FAV all the time! and here I thought it was MY word and that it meant I had no time to write out the whooooole word :)

My FAV museums are:
Hometown-Metropolitan Museum of Art
Outtatown- Philadelphia Museum of Art, Montreal Museum of Fine Art
Waaay Outtatown-D'Orsay, Picasso, Tate

Anonymous Jul 1st, 2003 05:47 AM

Which Tate?

Scarlett Jul 1st, 2003 05:52 AM

:D The Tate Museum in London, with the Turners, not the Modern, not the Pup~

Jim Jul 1st, 2003 06:09 AM

The Museum of Science and Industry on Chicagos lake front has it all. A coal mine, a passenger jet liner, The Denver Zeypher from the 30s, The U505, captured German U Boat, The Titanic exibit the grand stair case replica,and on and on.There's nothing like it anywhere and you can go into all the exibits and get the feel of what it was like to be there. Just a fantastic place.

BrimhamRocks Jul 1st, 2003 06:29 AM

Actually Brooklyn_Bomber, you'd be wrong.

If you catch any of my other posts on the US and Europe forums...you will see that I'm a housewife, stationed overseas with my hubby and young son.

I was just curious about everyone's FAVE museum. So there! (grin)

travellyn Jul 1st, 2003 07:17 AM

The Art Institute of Chicago. I liked it even better than the Musee d'Orsay.

kikahead Jul 1st, 2003 07:38 AM

A second vote for Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry. Also love OMSI in Portland, OR...the beating heart is the best!

Celine_fyly Jul 1st, 2003 07:39 AM

Louvres
and
Air and Space (smithsonian)

Celine

philip_barnhart Jul 1st, 2003 08:00 AM

Can not decide which one I like the best but out of the major ones:
Chicago Art Institute - US
Metropolitan Museum of Art - US
Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh Museum - A'dam, Netherlands
off the beaten track:
Frans Hals Museum - Haarlem, netherlands
Memlingmuseum (Sint-John's Hospital) - Bruges, Belgium

Tiff Jul 1st, 2003 08:07 AM

The Uffizi Museum in Florence, Italy. Simply divine, forever I could have remained in the Boticelli room.

Second vote for the Art Institute of Chicago.

LN Jul 1st, 2003 08:18 AM

My vote will always be for the Smithsonians but then I spent quite a bit of time there abd Natural History and Air and Space would be up there on top. The National Gallery of Art, along with the D'Orsay and Louvre with the Gilcrease in Tulsa getting really high marks.

But then I really like visiting museums.

bookhall Jul 1st, 2003 08:29 AM

I'm an airplane guy, so I've got to go with the Air & Space Museum. Along with the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH. For any of you who have been, but not in recent years, they have a nice memorial garden on the gounds, with monuments commemorating various WWII squadrons.

E Jul 1st, 2003 08:47 AM

Another vote for the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and for the Louvre; stateside, the National Gallery of Art in DC is my hands-down favorite.
Being new to the area, I have been very pleasantly surprised by the Minneapolis Institute of Art--a lovely museum.