Reload this Page >

Your favorite Maine towns?? ..early june

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:56 PM
rebecca

I have been searching Maine inns for a place to stay.
I want to take my older parents (70's) to Mid coast Maine. I want to stay just 2 or 3 nights but I really can't narrow it down to a town. I'd like a town with some decent places to eat and some shopping for my Mom even tho it wont be high season.
I'm looking for a town thats not snobby-as much real Maine coastal town with still more to do than watch the fishing boats come in!!

I'd love to hear your favorites spots!!

Thanks!!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:41 PM
x

Freeport

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:52 PM
jtripwils

I would certainly give Camden (and nearby Rockport)very serious consideration. The town is extremely scenic has plenty of nice B&B's, restaurants and shopping. Camden also has a variety of harbour cruises on classic older sailboats (large) which can be fun for all ages. I think its hard ot beat for a long weekend

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Brian

The coast of Maine is one of my favorite places to visit. My wife and I honeymooned there and have returned several times over the years.

In the mid-coast area, I would second the recommendation of Camden, though I haven't been there since 1991. I'd also suggest Boothbay Harbor which has some great restaurants. We enjoyed our stay at the Spruce Point Inn -- just up the road from the center of town with a great sunsets. Both towns have a small collection of specialty shops and art galleries.

While it's not a "town," the city of Portland is very quaint and also has great restaurants and shopping in the historic Port area.

If you were willing to go to the South coast, I'd also highly recommend Kennebunkport. Nice selection of shops and restaurants. While it was expensive (and I had to borrow a jacket), dinner at The White Barn Inn was one of the best I've ever had. And Nunan's Lobster Hut in nearby Cape Porpoise is a place I'd go back to.

I would not choose Freeport unless you plan to spend your time outlet shopping. If you like outlet shopping, however, Freeport is definitely worth stopping in.

Good luck with your planning.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:42 AM
rose

Bar harbor & Acadia Nat'l Park. There is a very nice shopping area downtown, many good restuarants ( with full lobster dinners for under $10,) and a fine small aquarium where you can see the sealife up close.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:48 AM
alex

My favorite is the Bar Harbor area also,for Acadia National Park and beautiful scenery.I'm not sure how much will be open there off-season. The surrounding towns and harbors have the ambience you describe, with water-side accommodations, fishing boats, and ferries to nearby islands. However, the Kennebunkport area may have more to offer as far as restaurants and shopping off-season, and is also a very scenic Maine town. We travel through the town fairly frequently, at different times of the year, and it always seems to be hopping.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:53 AM
ANNETTE

THE BAR HARBOR INN IN BAR HARBOR WITH A TRIP TO JORDAN POND FOR AFTERNOON TEA, A SUNSET CRUISE ON THE OCEAN, AND A CARRIAGE RIDE THRU ACADIA NATIONAL PARK WITH THE BEAUTIFUL MOUNTAINS. WE ARE GOING IN JULY. BARHARBORINN.COM CAN SEND YOU INFO ON PKG. DEALS FOR TWO NIGHTS LODGING, TWO BREAKFASTS, ONE DINNER, AND THE HARBOR CRUISE.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:41 AM
STOP_YELLING

What was that, Annette!!!? Didn't quite hear you the first time!!!

Please -- turn off the caps lock. It's considered rude and it's really unnecessary.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:44 AM
rebecca

Thanks so much for you responses- I was thinking Camden (tho I'd never been) and up to Acadia.
I'll stay posted in case any one else wants to put their 2 cents in!
Thanks again-
Rebecca

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 07:13 AM
xxx

Away from the woods in early june. Those maine black flies can ruin a vacation.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:09 AM
xxx

Blue Hill would be the better choice.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Tanya

Booth Bay and Bar Harbour! Great off season rates!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 10:08 AM
alex

Annette's suggestions are good -- but only for the high season. Realize that all of the activities she mentions may not be available in some months.