Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

You no longer have all the time in the world - where would you go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All -

Thought about the lounge for this posting, but I'm limited to the US in my travel...

My very best friend in the whole world has leukemia. We just found out that he has a unique genetic makeup and no match from siblings or on the bone marrow registry. So his chances are slim, as he's already had this diagnosis for a year. He's in and out of remission and lives in the Chicago area. We share a gigantic passion for sailing. He has no passport (and cannot get one) so for our remaining rendezvous, we need to find places to go where he doesn't need one. Our rendezvous have taken place (without the sailing) in Savannah, San Franciso, DC, and various other spots, but I need some help planning for our limited future. He has lived in San Diego, but otherwise has spent most of his life in Chicagoland.

If you knew you had limited time, where would you go? I'm the planner here...

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM

seasweeite, so sorry to hear that. i think it's great you are planning this for him. so ok, question first, does it have to be sailing you said? how about florida keys area? not a sailor at all but i have heard the area is beautiful.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maria_so - No, sailing not required. And we haven't done the Keys yet - it's high on the list.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM

So sorry to hear about your friend!

I love Hawaii more than any other place in the US, so that would be my vote... although I know it's a bit far from Chicago.

Carole
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Hello seasweetie, I am so sorry to read about your best friend. A sad situation and I am sure I know how you are feeling as my very dearest friend from way back to when we were girls growing up died exactly two years ago.

Winter time is not the best..but if it wasn't for that I would suggest our PNW which always seems like a beautiful and often spiritual area to me. If your friend could get a passport the westcoast of Mexico would be wonderful but it sounds like that is not possible.

Have you thought of New Mexico? That imo can be a very spiritual and healing area.

My thoughts are with you and your friend and how fortunate he is to have you by his side. May the angels be with both of you seasweetie.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Brutforce

The Keys or New Orleans.

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 03:00 AM

If money isn't a problem and you have the time, why not a sailing cruise from the Miami area to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands? That should be a beautiful area to visit and all within the US except for the time at sea. There must be somewhere that you could rent a suitable sailboat in the Miami area.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 04:28 AM

Maybe the Keys, Charleston, Boston/Nantucket, Newport R.I. - and definitely Hawaii if your friend is able to travel that far. So sorry your friend is going through this.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Has he been to the Grand Canyon? To me, the Grand Canyon is something noone should not see.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:07 AM

The end of Long Island, NY... Montauk - to watch, smell, and hear the waves break on the shore. Not a far distance to travel from Chicago... I am sorry to hear of your friends suffering.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:08 AM

Yellowstone and vicinity was the first area that came to my mind.

Best wishes, wherever the journey takes you.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:17 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. If he likes sailing, there is nothing like the Chesapeake Bay in the summer time. Maybe you all can take in the a little sightseeing in Washington DC nearby?
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:34 AM
GoTravel

The Florida Keys are gorgeous but you should rent a boat for a week and get out over the water to take full advantage.

I highly suggest three to four nights in Islamorada and three to four nights in Key West.

Key West is very different from the rest of the keys because it is more land oriented. The other keys are more water oriented.

Also, a flight to the Dry Tortugas is a must do. Splurge and fly because it isn't as draining as the boat trip which takes the entire day and leaves you exhausted.

Let me know if this appeals to you and lots of us can help with accommodations.

I'm so sorry about your friend.

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:35 AM

I agree with New Mexico. We go there every year (except for this year) for thanksgiving and it is really a spiritual place. Another one like that is Sedona, AZ. I did think of Wyoming too - Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone.

It may help some if you give us an idea of what you both like to do/see besides sailing?
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

You've all provided some terrific suggestions! And please keep them coming..

On our rendezvous, we're not overly picky. We're not museum people/organized tour kind of folks - we like to get a flavor for local culture. We like our cocktails and good company and beautiful natural places.

We've toyed with a few ideas - sailing in the San Juan Islands (I think he'd really like Seattle). I like GoTravel's suggestion of a cruise in the Florida Keys a lot! We met in the Virgin Islands and have been back there several times. He has family in Connecticut and has sailed down to the VI from there. We've been to Boston and Newport..

The Grand Canyon is a great idea - I've never seen it either.

Thanks for your thoughts and support - my heart breaks a little every day.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM

We stayed at the Marquesa in Key West and really enjoyed it.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM

seasweetie:
So very sorry to hear about your friend, sailing…. You still have not mentioned if he can travel to the Hawaiian islands if he can not exactly sailing on your own but take a day or evening cruise down the Na pali coast in Kauai. Something closer? My second favorite island Puerto Rico, friendly people beautiful sites not too familiar with sailing around their but am sure they do have it. You did not mention what time of the year you want to go. Lots of luck to you in your planning and I am sure here you can arrange a memorable one.
Gina
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Dear seasweetie,
As you mentioned an interest in the Grand Canyon which is one of my great passions, I would be happy to make suggestions with your friend's situation in mind. If you wind up wanting to consider more specific details for a possible canyon trip, email me offlist at [email protected].

Also, I noticed that you said that your friend has family in Connecticut and that he has sailed from there to the Virgin Islands. With that in mind, if he is up to it next year, I would suggest a trip to Block Island during race week which is the last week in June. Watching the sailboats go all the way around the island is one amazingly beautiful sight. You can sit in the car or on folding chairs you have brought at the parking area near the North Light. The sailboats come behind the lighthouse, go around the sandbar which juts far out into the water and make the turn toward the side of the island where Crescent Beach is located. The sailboats are wonderfully colorful from that vantage point. There are other places from which to see this race from a car as well.

One caveat: if you were to go, there are only a few guest rooms on the island that I would recommend for you and your friend. I had to research this thoroughly for a handicapped relative so it happens to be something I know. Again, email me offlist if there is any interest in this possibility. I wouldn't travel from Chicago specifically to do this, but if he is visiting family in Connecticut anyway, it could be a wonderful sidetrip.

Blessings to you for taking the initiative to bring the joy of travel into this situation.
Jane
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM

For food, culture and drinks, New Orleans would be at the top of my list for you if you haven't been. It's really unique compared to many other places in the US.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM

The San Juan Islands came to my mind right away, and I see that you have considered it. There are a number of bareboat charter places up there, I believe. The sailing is great, the scenery beautiful, and there are some nice little towns where you can tie up for the night.

And don't give up hope. The donor registry is world-wide. And if he is coming to Seattle for the sailing trip, he might look into a consult at the FHCRC/Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -