You Decide: Plantation Tr or Fr. Qtr & Mardi Gras World

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife & I have 3 days for our first trup to New Orleans. We already have most of it planned: Garden Tour, Cemetery Tour, a ghost tour, bars, dinner at Mr. B's, Nola, and Bayona. We have one day set aside for walking the French Qtr and seeing the sights.

We have one day that we can't decide. We are either doing:

1) Tours by Isabelle all day swamp tour

OR

2) A morning Honey Island swamp tour, and come back to the Qtr and then go to Mardi Gras World.

We don't have time to do both, and I would love some input from folks on what they think is a better choice.

Also, is one day enough time to see most of the qtr (shops, historic sights, etc), or should I make more time for that?

Thanks VERY much for the help.

Steve
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:12 AM

We weren't at all impressed with NOLA last September, but have heard other people rave about it - good luck! I wouldn't suggest an all day swamp tour, you see one nutria, heron and gator you've seen them all. There's are tour groups that do a swamp-plantation and/or plantation-riverboat tours that last all day, but I don't remember their name - hopefully somebody else will jump in for you. One day is NEVER enough in New Orleans, but you should be able to see plenty in that time period. Don't forget a St. Charles streetcar ride to see some of the Garden District. Have fun and enjoy the city!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I meant an all day swamp AND plantation tour with Tours by Isabelle, or the half day swamp tour with Honey Island, and then do other activities.

My wife is leaning towards the full day tour. I'm going the other way. I think the plantation would be interesting, but I don't want to have no time left for the qtr. We'll have evenings free, but I assume that the nicer stores and historic sights are closed at night.

And yes, we will be taking the Streetcar to the Garden district tour.

Thanks for the input.

Steve
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:49 AM
Dan

It's a tough call. Isabelle does a great job and the combo tour is good. I'd probably opt for Honey Island (a better overall swamp experience) and MG World, which I think is a great attraction. Guess it boils down to how much you really want to see those plantations! Either way, you've got a good day planned.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:50 AM

Hey Steve - for a really neat place for breakfast, try Petunia's. Here's their website:
http://www.petuniasrestaurant.com/

Let us know if you have any more questions. I'm envying you, we aren't going until September and I'm in need of my New Orleans pick-me-up already.

Cindy
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:14 AM

I'm not a swamp persom LOL. I'd vote for plantation/riverboat or can you just do 1/2 day plantation & come back to town? The plantations give you a totally different perspective of NO.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I meant an all day swamp AND plantation tour with Tours by Isabelle, or the half day swamp tour with Honey Island, and then do other activities.

My wife is leaning towards the full day tour. I'm going the other way. I think the plantation would be interesting, but I don't want to have no time left for the qtr. We'll have evenings free, but I assume that the nicer stores and historic sights are closed at night.

And yes, we will be taking the Streetcar to the Garden district tour.

Thanks for the input.

Steve
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:51 AM

We took the full day tour with Tours by Isabelle and had a great day. I was more impressed with the plantation part of the tour but my husband liked the swamp part better. I haven't been to Mardi Gras World so I can't comment on it. We had a fun night at Mid City Rock and Bowl. Also the D-Day Museum is very interesting.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:40 PM

When is your trip? If it is mid-summer...skip the swamp tour. Too darn hot...won't see anything except the mosquitos! Whenever you come, I think a full day in the swamp would be a bit much.

Enjoy your stay in our beautiful city!

Anne